1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's a matter of Bidenomics!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Jun 28, 2023.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

I'm not talking about California high speed. I'm talking about the brightline project the Biden folks just green lit from Vegas to LA and helped pay for...

Catch up loser

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Obama greenlight the CHSR. How did that work out.

3. adoo

adoo Member

both Bush 45 and Obama had bail out programs for the bankrupt financial industry.
    • one did n't work, the other one did

#1023 adoo, Dec 8, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

what does that have to do with private property rights and distances in the USA vs Japan/EU?

5. astros123

astros123 Member

Obama greenlit it without providing funding for it or without expediting it's environmental review process.....Biden waived the process and funded it. It literally broke ground today

You're not very smart so please stop trying to sound smart pls

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

you entire schtick is calling everyone smart? Why post on a forum full of people you think are dumb?

7. astros123

astros123 Member

Bcz other people are much much smarter than me with regards to basketball/baseball/nfl and this is a basketball forum?

Also I don't go around calling people dumb. You are disingenuous and troll

8. astros123

astros123 Member

EV rentals going for 200 bucks a month. That's ridiculously cheap

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

The problem with the poll (like many polls) is the wording. Its done such a way to get the result one intends, when it should be the exact opposite.

You would get slightly better results if you worded the poll, such as: Would you support increased investments if mass transit was affordable and super convenient.
    Vs a poll (that is honest) that said: Would you support increased investments in mass transit if it was marginally cheaper but took 2x longer to get to your destination.

The brightline rail from Orlando to Miami takes approximately 3.5 hours, 30 minutes less than a vehicle. What is not accounted for is waiting for schedule (convince factor) and the boarding/waiting at the terminal. The other end consists of finding transportation for the duration of the visit. It works for some people, not so much for the masses.

That doesn't say mass transit can't work. The last mile needs significant work. Robotaxi's are the most likely best solution but we are a few years off from that.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Americans have little interest in being inconvenienced. You might convince the masses to walk a 1/4 of a mile if the weather is perfect. Its common to see people wait 5 minutes for a parking space that is 5 spots closer to the building.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

1-3+ hrs at airport to take a flight. American fly everyday.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

How many take Amtrak or Greyhound, both comparable services?

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Your statement is, "Americans have little interest in being inconvenienced." Every major city has an airport, and Americans are inconvenienced every time they take a flight, which happens very regularly.

They are not comparable. Only a few major cities have mass train transit. Mass train transit has a much lower wait time (less than 1 hour) compared to flights (1-3hrs wait time).

astros123 likes this.
  14. trustme

trustme Member

Maybe we should stop doing this so we can improve our own economy and infrastructure:

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

You may not realize it, but you're making my point. If it takes almost 2 days to drive coast to coast but I can get you there in less than 8 hours, that 2 hour wait at the airport is hardly an inconvenience. The reality is many people do think this 2 hour wait is an inconvenience. Some people are never satisfied.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You didn't make a concise point other than 'Americans have little interest in being inconvenienced.' I don't consider total transit time as an inconvenience. I believe I have established that Americans are okay with wait times (a huge inconvenience). However, there are many other factors to consider, including cost, total transit time, privacy, and infrastructure (such as parking and rental services).

It's not just one factor such as 'Americans have little interest in being inconvenienced'. The reality is that people acknowledge the world isn't perfect and will 'get used to' whatever infrastructure is common. Currently, interstate and air travel are common, while passenger trains are not. I haven't heard any convincing reasons why Americans would be any different from people in other countries that enjoy mass train transit. In fact, everyone I know who has used mass train transit in other countries is positive about it. This doesn't mean it replaces other forms of transportation; it's just another infrastructure that people can choose from. There are certain situations where passenger train transit is preferable to flights or cars, and vice versa.

17. astros123

astros123 Member

Bidens newest student loan program which eliminates interest and cuts payments in half cost more money (400 billion) than we've given Israel in its lifetime.

Why are people so utterly stupid in today's society.

#1037 astros123, Dec 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

I'm old enough to remember when low unemployment and record-breaking stock market were good things...

astros123 likes this.
  20. astros123

astros123 Member

If the stock market hit an all time high under trump he'd be doing a victory parade and tweeting out 20 times. Republicans know how to control the narrative while dems just believe good governance will bring good media. It's so pathetic and weak. It's what I was explaining to @Nook