1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Now this I would do, though we would probably have to send some draft capital.

FVV / Brooks / Markkanen / Smith / Sengun, Eason off the bench, AND two high-ceiling guys in Amen and Whitmore? Yes please.

fattz and OremLK like this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting.

3. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Gotta swap Markkanen (4) with Smith (3). Still I don't think it is this time to give up on Jalen! If Jalen stays and somehow we get Markkanen, he can play both 4-5 and Ice can experiment between Sengun, Bari and Mark

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Lauri is one of the only all-stars who could shake loose that I think might make sense. If he hits the trade market, he will be highly in demand, though, and you're pitting Stone against Danny Ainge. That makes me nervous. I don't want to see us shipping out some ridiculous, backbreaking package to get a guy like Markkanen, who is very good and would be a nice fit, but is not a superstar or anything.

fattz likes this.
  5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yup, absolutely. The only way I think it happens is if they view Green as a good prospect ft along side George, Kessler, and Hendricks.

6. fattz

fattz Member

Saw this and modified it a little. Worth a share…
    Oladipo and SRP
    …for…
    Olynyk

Both expiring contracts. KO fills the need of the backup big perfectly while Londale gets himself together and/or OK can fill his role going forward because Londale is not guaranteed.

saleem, wolstein and OremLK like this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

If I were trying to just cash in young players and draft picks to build around Alpi right now, I think the two guys I would aim for would be Lauri and Anunoby. Like, go get both of them and give them both extensions. I don't know if that's the best route for the organization, but if you think Sengun will be good enough to be the best player on a championship team and not just the second option or like option 1B, maybe it makes sense?

Both of those guys are 26, so we'd have maybe a 6-7 year window where we're probably a top 5 seed to try and get it done.

The one big issue is we'd be running right up against the luxury tax just with FVV + Lauri + Anunoby + Brooks + Alpi's extension alone. We'd almost be forced to let any remaining young players go to RFA.

8. conquistador#11

Aaron Nesmith from the Pacers. Averages around 12 pts from the bench, 40%+ from threes can defend.
    Give them a pick so they can add to their assets

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I like this or a move like this. Tate needs to be moved before he is relegated to garbage time. He is a good player that will help some team, but we do not have a spot for him once Amen, and maybe Cam, eventually get inserted into the rotation. I still think a legit backup center and sharp-shooter to come off the bench would make us have an incredibly deep line-up. Green, Alpi, Jabari, Tari, and Amen should be completely untouchable. Maybe Cam will be the sharpshooter off the bench, I am hoping for. Holiday started off slowly from 3, but is now connecting so he is going to be hard to un-seat. JVV and Sengun are going to have to get more rest as the schedule becomes more brutal in terms of days off. Backup center is going to be critical on back-to-backs of which we have 8 remaining. Brooks is bound to cool off eventually from 3 and we will need someone to step up and stop the bleeding like he did last night.

OremLK likes this.
  10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Good point on Tate, although I still think a backup center like Kelly Olynyk would make more sense than another wing.

jim1961 likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree backup center needs to be addressed right of way. I would not expend a lot of assets on another wing to come off the bench anytime soon, unless just a great deal comes up.

jim1961 and OremLK like this.
  12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

If you have Anougby and Lauri, the young players become almost useless. Theyre not goin to have a big role when you FVV, Lauri, Anunoby, Lauri, and Alpi. The Rockets would just feel the roster out with Holiday type players. I don’t care what he says, Tilman is not paying luxury tax. He showed that to us whe. We had our best team ever during the Harden era.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Our starting has one of the best (+-) stats in the league and you want to break it up. Moving on from any of Green, Jabari, or Sengun is a ridiculous idea. All we need is a legitimate backup center and Amen to be a capable backup PG and we will be in the playoffs.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think you'd have to trade multiple of the young players just to get those two guys if it's at the deadline. Maybe it would cost less as a sign-and-trade in the offseason. You might be left with two or three young players to play significant minutes off the bench. (My preference would be to hold onto at least Jabari and Amen.)

I'm not sure that's even a route I'd go. But if we were going to make major win-now moves, I'd rather get those guys at age 26 than older players in their late 20s like Siakam, LaVine, Bridges, etc.

I'll admit the combination of playmaking, defense, and shooting would be pretty tantalizing with a starting group of VanVleet/Brooks/Anunoby/Markkanen/Sengun, and Amen and Jabari coming off the bench but still playing heavy minutes.

I don't know if that's a championship contender. Certainly not this year, but maybe next season depending on Alpi's growth.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, like I said, I don't know if it's something I would even do if I were in the GM shoes. Just throwing random ideas out there.

That said, I am getting a bit iffy on Green as a long-term starter. Not ready to give up quite yet, but he is on shaky ground. I feel like the starting group has been positive more despite him than because of him.

16. fattz

fattz Member

Here is a spitball.

Dealing with Danny Ange so…

Green, Tate, & Brooklyn FRP 24
    …For…
    Olynyk and Taylor Hendricks

Green would have room on the Jazz maybe even become the player who we let get away. Danny Ange is the smartest person in the room. Plus a pick to boot. Damn you Jazz.

BUT

We fix everything by getting BIGGER and give ourselves room to grow. Front court 6’10” across or bigger.

FVV, Brook, Smith, Hendricks & Sengun

Amen, Whitmore, Eason & Olynyk.

Londale’s contract is worth more than him at the next draft. Olynyk can resign in the Londale’ voided spot.

Hendricks plays big —> 3 and D helps spacing, covers up everything, energetic and staggered with Eason.

Smith moving to the 3 (is how he plays anyway) we gain size. We can play through / feature him with Green gone. Eason backs him up too get starter’s type playing time.

Amen, Cam and Tari have room to play. With Tari getting starter’s minutes. Goal for Tari is 6MOY

Brooks (bigger than Green- gaining size) take our already good defense to yet another level up with out no real weak spots.

Sengun gets maxed in a few years…

The 2k24 draft is considered weak by most and we are full so why add more.

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I don’t say anything like that. You quoted the wrong person

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Some great ideas, but I'm more stay the course for now and if we make it move its getting a b/u 5 and moving someone like Tate, Landale and/or Victor.

Team is still finding their way, but Ime has them playing well. Still inconsistent, but that's to be expected this early in the season.

I wish Jalen would cut more to the basket versus hanging on the perimeter. Alpi could give him some highlight dunks. We're missing that element from our offense.

saleem, anthony59237 and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

I hope you’re talking about Jeff Green because…
    I rather have Jalen be a bust then trade him for Olynyk and and some unproven rookie

#479 CantStopJG24, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sorry. I was replying to the Markkanen trade. I don’t know how anybody that watched last night’s game would move on from Green and/or Jabari this year. I’m praying that Jalen makes that stop and pop a large portion of his arsenal. If he does, he will be at least a Booker or Murray level player.

mac_got_this and CantStopJG24 like this.