1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

He isn’t the only one, but the most outspoken one. There are guys likes Kawamura and the bullpen coach that think Maldonado is the best in baseball at game preparation.

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

But why?

Stephen66 likes this.
  3. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

The ratio of Maldonado’s ability to play clubhouse politics and media leaks to his ability to play baseball might the highest in the history of the game.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think that Maldy is either brought back or he ends up in Pittsburgh w/ Gelles.

That just feels like the kind of thing a new AGM and team looking to raise the culture to one of contention would do

Nook likes this.
  5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Bringing Maldy back?

not trying to win if that’s the case

Stephen66 likes this.
  6. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Bring Maldonado back...as the bullpen catcher...

Stephen66 and Tomstro like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Actually, Maldy is probably better than the majority of the options out there.

As long as everyone understands the plan of Diaz starting 70-75% of the games if he's healthy, and follows through with that then I'm fine with Maldy coming back.

The various coaches and players just need to be professional and not put any extra pressure on benching Diaz, starting him anywhere other than catcher, or playing Maldy more than 25% of the games

Stephen66, cmlmel77 and texans1095 like this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

If Maldonado comes back then the pressure has already worked. The Astros FO needs to have some balls. If you want to hire him as an assistant and let him game plan, ok, although I don’t really want him around this clubhouse at all.

Stephen66 and ryan_98 like this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think there are enough people in the Astros organization that want him and know a lot more than I do.

I have no idea what your knowledge level is.

But people like Verlander are as competitive and knowledgeable as they come. If he and others want him then It would be pretty arrogant and ignorant of me to think I know better.

10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I disagree that Maldy is a viable option as a back up catcher. He is not a major league caliber player.

Stephen66 and panamamyers like this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I understand your opinion and I don't want him to return either.

But I think there are a lot of terrible options out there that woukd be worse.

I also think that if guys like Verlander want him and feel that he IS a major league caliber player, how the hell can I say I know better than them?

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Please no.

Stephen66, IBTL, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I think you can certainly argue he's the single worst player in baseball, and another year old next season would certainly be the most damaging player that would get any plate appearances

Stephen66 likes this.
  14. awc713

awc713 Member

Maldy is still serviceable on an MLB roster. He can be a fine backup…the issue in Houston was that he got too much playing time. The Machete hate amping our fan base is a wee bit too much for me. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. He clearly played a significant role in orchestrating some of the best pitching seasons (and playoff runs) in history and was a vital reason for our 22 ring and dominant run…so that’s why I don’t love the disrespect. Machete is an Astros legend even if he’s clearly not starter material anymore.

I don’t think Maldy as your backup is a reason a team doesn’t go all the way. But if the Astros FO is worried about the clubhouse/Machete forcing his way into a more even platoon/split, then I get not re-signing him. If another team makes him the C1, and that’s his priority, then your cap and well govr a standing O upon your return to the juice box. But I think if he’s amenable to a C2 gig, then we should not be outbid there.

Nook likes this.
  15. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. We don't need to sugar coat it. He was the worst hitting, fielding, framing and game calling catcher in all of MLB.

Stephen66 likes this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Left out that he cant throw runners out anymore either.

Maldy advocates, what is his strength exactly? (serious question)

Stephen66 and raining threes like this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah I don’t like when my friends get fired either. If I could say something to management to keep it from happening, I probably would.

Stephen66 and cmlmel77 like this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

So Verlander wants Maldy to come back out of friendship fully expecting that the team will lose more games because of it.

Got it.

Stephen66 and jim1961 like this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The illogic of that has me confused as well.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Personal catchers, personal center fielders, I thought that **** was behind us.

[​IMG]

I mean, holy ****. The way this guy is talked about.

If he’s so super duper important and the franchise will cease to exist without him, make him the highest paid assistant coach, bench coach in baseball.

And build him his statue outside of MMP. And retire his number. Start engraving his HOF plaque. Make him the future manager/GM/owner in waiting.

“Greatest player in franchise history. Most important player in franchise history. Franchise cannot continue on without him. Pitchers will go full Rick Ankiel and forget how to pitch without him.”

To Saint Maldonado we pray,…

Amen.
    [​IMG]

Stephen66, IBTL, Salvy and 1 other person like this.