1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I know for me, I want the rockets to be good again. If Alp is the lead guy and can get us to the promise land, great. If he’s a piece to it and we need to get the right stars around him, great. I just want the team to be good

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

But that is still true.....Nix is a better PG prospect and we still need size.

You DDIngleberries that just try to provide gotcha moments are sad people. - just enjoy the Rockets.

And those people that continually pat themselves on the back over and over ad-nauseum are as much of a problem as those negative Nancies...looking RIGHT AT YOU ATW.....Consistently giving yourself a reach around is as annoying as those that consistently look for the negative.

Both are symptoms of the same narcissistic personality type.

And yes, I get the irony of me pointing it out......

Everyone wants to be seen or have an audience or be right.....what a crazy ****ed up mix we are....

We are all a bunch of wannabes seeking kinship in being Rockets fans. It's just that some of us are not cowards hiding behind an internet persona.....ZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DD

Dobbizzle and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ok well lets find "part time stars" that crank it up for the playoffs - im cool with that too. I guess we need to define what "star" means for everybody as I didnt think it was obscure to figure out. Like seriously how many times do you hear Jamal Murray mentioned in any "star" level talks? He hasnt even made an all star team!

harold bingo likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You make an obvious point, which is that having comparable stats at a certain age doesn't guarantee staying on the same trajectory or championships or the same level of success.

While nothing is guaranteed, it's a useful way of approximation.

clos4life likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Amen.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I can promise you that if KPJ had panned out, we would not hear the end of it, from you :D.

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Probably not...lol. Never said I wasn't the same......

LOL

DD

PS. There is still time..........heheh.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. invocux

invocux Member

I'm sorry but you can't be a good pg without being a good basketball player first. That dude had such egregious turnovers he turned himself into a forever meme among rockets fans. KPJ might not be a pg but he's a fine bb player and definitely the better pg of the two.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Nix may be a bust, but he was the number 1 PG coming out of HS and is only 21 years old - he is not the kind of guy that could beat a man off the dribble like KPJ he was a system first guy, sorta like a FVV TBH......he may yet find his way,......everyone sucked last year....so I don't hold that against him.

DD

10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's interesting you say that because with the people I talk to, Murray is pretty famously an all star snub and a highly underrated player. And like you mentioned, he turns it up bigtime for the playoffs, he turns into a completely different guy. I weigh that really heavily, especially as a guy who's rooted for Harden for a decade. Having said all that, I googled "all star snubs" and Murray wasn't on any of the lists. So it looks like you're right, and I'm the crazy one here. I consider him to be a star but that doesn't appear to be the norm.

invocux, kubli9 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Right and I appreciate a guy like Murray. He is humble and ready to do what his team needs, but cmon my dude lets not ignore how much the sheer domination of Jokic last year impacted that championship run - the dude averaged a triple double while shooting 46% from 3 and being NAILS on defense. They ran rough shod over the West last year - none of the matchups were even close. It was a solid team effort sure in support of one of the greatest individual players that has ever played the sport. Jokic opens up everything. Even MPJ & AG were killing it. They put on a shooting clinic last year. Reminded me to a small extent of what Dream did with the 1st championship.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Daishen's biggest problem other than sucking is he is listed with a SF's weight while being a PG.

He weighs about the same as 7'5 Wembanyama ....just imagine....

Green was too skinny and Daishen was the contrast.

AroundTheWorld and Dobbizzle like this.
  13. kubli9

kubli9 Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you on Murray. He's fast, handles well, makes good decisions and shoots the ball really well. His numbers might not get him to star level but he is the type of lead guard you want on a championship team. I'd be thrilled if Jalen could get his act together and become something close to Murray.

harold bingo likes this.
  14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It sounds like you think I'm putting Murray above or even on the same level as Jokic, and that's not what I meant. I'm not trying to ignore Jokic, he is significantly better than Murray, no doubt. He's the most important piece. I was trying to say in the context of the MJ analogy, Jokic is Jordan and Murray is Pippen. I don't think Denver wins last year if Murray isn't in there. But when I think of Denver I don't think of them as "Jokic and 4 other dudes." I think of it as a team with two stars, Jokic and Murray, and then roleplayers.

Verbal Christ and BaselineFade like this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yep. Too early to tell for our young guys they are only 21 and younger. Sengun breaking out so early is great to see but it is the exception rather than rule.

albuster likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, in 80 days when one of them....who is clearly "only 19" right now, will be 22, will that no longer be "too early to tell"?

At what point can we be critical if they are still terrible?

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Murray is a star, not a superstar but definitely a star.

DD

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

"Core" usually refers to more than a single player that fit together well to worth keeping together for the future. What you describe is (*gulp*) "franchise player" around whom you build the whole team.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

It can be more than one player, Kobe/Shaq, Tmac/Yao, Kyrie/Lebron, Wade/Lebron etc. Keeping with the spirit of the OP’s definition, it is the piece(s) we “build around”. We will never build around Jabari, even his best outcome is an elite complimentary piece to the actual core. It would be insane to build around Jalen, who may or may not even be a positive NBA contributor long term. Our evaluation of the current players on the team and future acquisitions should all have how they fit around Sengun in mind, that’s how Clutch defined the core as.

AroundTheWorld and roslolian like this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

25-28. That's usually when non franchise stars break out right?

A good example Lauri Markannen who broke out last year at age 25. Devin Booker got called. Loser for Most of his career became an all star at 24. Jordan Clarkson only became an 18 ppg scorer at age 28 etc.