1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Oh no....nope nope nope.

DD

2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Ok

3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I wonder if orgs will look a bit more hard at the players that skip the 1 year of college to play in the Gleague - seems the kids that go to college even for a year are much further along.

DD

maj21 and NewAge like this.
  4. plegus

plegus Member

I think he improved everything but his actual bread and butter, which are shooting and finishing consistently. He doesn't strike me as the brightest of the bunch thinking basketball-wise, so probably his mental game will catch up a bit late, since this is his first time playing under a competent coach.

The effort and decision-making are already far, far better. We just need a little patience for him to really come around. Until then, it is still too early to determine his ceiling.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. invocux

invocux Member

You can blame Silas but only partially. Silas didn't exactly help them with his offensive and defensive schemes but if you can't make open 3's that's on you and shooting coaches and that "This is Jalen's rookie year" **** i'm reading on here and twitter for couple of weeks is INSANITY on the other hand. You are out of your mind for even thinking that. The league is full of dudes who shined under terrible coaches stop that crap pls. When you are good you find a way. Jalen in the last 2 years hasn't had a good 5 games stretch. It was 1 good game 3 terrible games 1 great game on repeat.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

While a year of college is definitely better than nothing - especially at a major program, I think what needs to be changed is the pre-college training. Most of these kids are choosing not to care or aren't learning a lot of the fundamentals of basketball. You've got many kids that are blessed physically/athletically that can get put in a blender because they can't convert that talent into basketball talent for another 2-4 years, if ever.

DaDakota and NewAge like this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's not just silas alone, it's having kpj as your pg, having no vets and a front office looking to tank. An accumulation of things that stunt green and smith development. But what about sengun? Man was in a professional league where he won mvp playing team ball, the factors didn't bother him as much.

Give it time Jalen green is currently trending up. If green was in this nice situation 3 year ago and is like this I would b more worried but like folks said it's like his rookie year basically.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You forget that Jalen’s G league “year” was basically a month long because of Covid. The G league doesn’t make millions like college basketball so when Covid hit, there wasn’t the strong incentive to play like a lot of college basketball teams had because those are big revenue generators for them.

…and your observation seems out of line with the last few drafts - the percentage of players getting drafted who skipped college for some other league is increasing and particularly at the top of the draft - Wemby, Scoot, Amen, Ausar, and Coulibaly were five of the first 7 picks this year. Ultimately god given talent speaks louder than college readiness(and let’s be real-some college have really poor development track records too) and the best high school talents are increasingly exploring other options to college.

9. Melik

Melik Member

I am pleased with Green's efforts, especially in defense. I have great concerns about Jabari.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We can lock this thread up by now, no?

Tankeio and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's only 19

harold bingo likes this.
  12. maj21

maj21 Member

@fchowd0311 needs to hush with his JG agenda. Dude is ass

13. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Time to trade Jalen Green, throw in Landale as well...both are trash

14. invocux

invocux Member

Man if you aren't taking any shots at least don't turn the ball over. Man the scoring contribution we get from Jabari and Green every game is so minimal i hate it. It's just Brook, FVV and Sengun.

15. King713

King713 Member

I need him to find out what’s going on with his jumper and fix it. He’s not really getting a ton of open looks but when you do get them, let’s stop bricking them horrendously. Also make your damn free throws.

The finishing at the rim is what it is at this point. The rest of his game has actually taken a step forward. Now we need the scoring guard to actually score.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Tha **** he is

DaDakota, CXbby and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Green is not our Franchise player….Sengun is our best player..I’m off the Green Franchise Train…

[​IMG]

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Playing in meaningful, intense games night-after-night is something completely new to Jalen and he isn't adapting very well at all. At some point in the next few weeks, he's either going to step up and start excelling or be exposed as a major disappointment.

It's too early to give up IMO.

P.S: His handles are a wreck. What happened?

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Sir, sir, there are women and children here - you are gonna have to keep the truth to yourself.

:)

DD

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

His handles have NEVER been good. Sadly, they haven’t gotten any better. He is not particularly skilled at anything that puts him in an upper tier with any other NBA players in any facet…but he is an amazing athlete. History suggests that isn’t enough to warrant “franchise” player status.

GotGame15 likes this.