1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson is the Rockets' REAL franchise player - all other threads are just I.D.I.O.T.s

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

33% is below average. If Iggy was an above average shooter, he would have been a top 10 player in his prime. He does everything else at a very high level. I hope Amen can be a better shooter than Iggy. Then the Sengun fans and Amen fans will fight for who is the real franchise player. :D

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You have specific player on the roster, I do not think Livingston was such a great shooter as well but he was a cornerstone role player for them.

I doubt you have 45% shooters at every position, they are not the Rockets of this year....lmao.

There is a certain role for everyone, Draymond also is a below 36% shooter.

You survive with 1 or 2 elite skillz that is not shooting in this league.

Everyone wants to have elite shooters everywhere for a bargain price......this is not playing.

Iggy has shot 39.7% (in Philly) and 36.2% from 3 in 2 seasons so it is not like he cannot shoot, he just cannot shoot consistently more than 3 years.

Amen cannot even get to 32%, just get up there and we talk later.

#622 daywalker02, Nov 11, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If someone is dynamic and can do all the other stuff which Amen cannot do on the NBA level (no elite dribbling) you can live with below average shooting.

I think there is more than 1 flaw that renders him helpless right now.

#623 daywalker02, Nov 11, 2023
    Zen Tabak likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wait, I didn't say Iggy wasn't a valuable player for the Warriors. I said he could have been a top 10 guy if he was a good shooter. The Sixers were hoping that he would be their franchise player. He never lived up to that hope mostly because of his weakness in shooting. He turned out to be an elite role player on a historically elite team.

Amen only played 67 NBA minutes. He has a lot of time in front of him to hone his skills. His weakness is also shooting. If he is going to be a good role player, that's fine. But if we want him to be a franchise level guy, he has to improve his shooting. Same goes with Sengun.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There were 4 points. I just disagree, it is all in good spirits, we are kindred spirits but it is normal to disgree a tad.

• I did not consider Iggy as a bad shooter for one, I think for his role he is actually a decent guy who can knock down the shot when it matters the most. He is a guy who pops up everywhere and he is a major shotblocker something Amen has not been consistently.
    • Amen has more holes than Jalen Green but also better IQ, I mean it took Green 2-3 years to show real promise.
    • Arguably different holes.
    • He cannot run an NBA Offense right now, that is a major knock on him rn. That is supposed to be his strong suit.

#625 daywalker02, Nov 11, 2023
    Easy likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, Iggy isn't a "bad" shooter like Westbrook bad. He's just not great. I guess that's where we disagree. Again, it's about expectation. If you want a role player, that's good enough. If you want a guy who can carry a team, that's just not going to work. Iggy is a jack of all trades kind of dude, excellent passer, excellent defender, and decent rebounder for a wing.

Green's dribble as a rookie was also suspect, as much as he likes to drive to the hoop. He has tightened it up since, still not great by NBA standard. But it's good enough for him to turn into an elite scorer.

Amen's dribble needs to be tightened up if he is to be a full-time PG. There's no other way around. He also needs to shoot well. A playmaker who can't shoot can't carry a team.

If we want to be a championship contender in a few years, at least two of our six young guys have to become superstar type player. Right now by the look of it, Sengun, Green, and Thompson seem to have the highest ceiling. I am not writing off Smith either. He has improved from his rookie season and still has a ton of potential. Whitmore is hard to gauge. He can be a good scorer. But his tunnel vision might limit his ceiling. Eason is a scrappy dude, the kind of guy that is fan favorite. He can be the perfect complementary role player.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As you said in your description, I am also too old for major expectations.

But if we are talking about being elite, I can talk a point or two.

I do not mind Amen being a super role player, it is not my money....

Role players like Draymond or Rodman can make the All Star Game, that is proven.

Easy likes this.
  8. Newlin

Newlin Member

Take your time coming back Amen. We on a hot streak.

mikol13 and alex_eg6 like this.
  9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Any updates on when Amen will return?

I wanted to see him get more play time.

10. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

I love Amen having a twin in the league. Seeing Auser play well - especially on defense - and get a lot of love from the press just makes me think “we have one of those too!”

I know they aren’t identical, but no reason to think they will be massively different. Their games are much more similar than the Morris twins.

Bo6, DreamShook and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I expected Ausar to have a better first season or two once I saw where he was drafted.

The Pistons are not asking Ausar to run the point or score on the perimeter. They are using him how Larry Nance used to be used 35 years ago. The Pistons are keeping it simple and letting Ausar rely entirely on his athleticism getting rebounds, blocks and put-backs at only 6’7”.

Amen is a better prospect but will likely struggle more at first because he is a point guard and the Rockets expect him to do more than Ausar.

Anytime a player is as raw as Amen is, there is risks - but his reasonable upside is higher than anyone on the team.

Deuce, cmlmel77, TheJet and 5 others like this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

He's going to be out a while; He had a grade 2 ankle sprain.

Im glad Amen can sit and watch the game, maybe he comes in more prepared

Amen looked like he was thinking too much instead of just hoopin.

When Amen is hooping, dude is amazing and you forget his handle is kinda sus, lol

bluffkin likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Amen Thompson is Stephen Curry.....wait for it....with the Ankle problems.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry but I do not get this better prospect ish....

They have virtually the same build, same game and same complexion.

There are minor differences that Amen likes to play more like a PG with suspect handles.

Amen leaps a little bit higher......who cares that much.

Ausar getting much more experience and reps can make him a better player.

It could get to the point that Ausar might have a 1 year advantage over his brother. That would be huge.

bluffkin likes this.
  15. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Yeah he looked nervous. It's just tough to watch his brother getting 17 rebounds, 4 block, and 4 steals every other game.

Amen does need time especially since we are winning games and need contributors not projects

I am praying he returns healthy and ready to contribute.

Also to Daywalkers comment. Steph was able to strengthen his ankles and it hasn't been an issue since

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Some other differences ive noticed. Ausar has better defensive instincts, slightly different shot mechanics(both kinda suck) and Ausar has a killer mindset while Amen is a nice guy.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Let's not read too much into a small sample size. Remember that both brothers were shockingly close statistically in OTE. Ausar was better at shooting from outside and Amen was better at finishing in the paint, but other than that the overall numbers were extremely similar.

I kind of expect that to hold true (on a per-possession basis) in the NBA, at least the first couple of years--they may diverge more after that as they come up in totally different coaching/team environments and inevitably focus on different things.

18. BonziWellsGOAT

How could you even know that last part? We've barely seen Amen play and they're roles are so different that you absolutely can't conclude that.

19. MystikArkitect

The three man game between Sengun/Green/FVV is incredibly hard to defend. Now take Fred and grow him 7 inches and give him super human athleticism and the ability to guard 1-3 on the perimeter.

Nook likes this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

it took giannis and kawhi like 3-4 seasons to develop and get firmly established. i think Amen could have a similar sort of trajectory.

all 3 prospects were considered extremely "raw" but you could tell the athleticism and work ethic were there. there is no doubt Amen is similar in my mind.

BaselineFade and cmlmel77 like this.