1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. 34to11

34to11 Member

I'm not sure I understand your question but there was a well documented logic for running Bruno ahead of Sengun.
    Whether you agree with it or not is up to you.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It would be great to trade for Capela, but don't think we could give the Hawks anything of value unless they start going downhill once February rolls around. Victor/Landela for Capela would work. Throw in a protected FRP and man that would be perfect. It could even allow situations where you have both Capela/Sengun playing together.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If someone still agrees with it, they need to get their heads checked. Not blaming people for agreeing with it then - okay, maybe blaming them a little bit - but still agreeing with it now is just foolishly being dyed in the wool.

maypk likes this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone (maybe 1-2 idiots) ever believed Bruno was better than Sengun or deserved to start over him. Vast majority was excited going into the season seeing what he could do. The logic in starting Bruno was that he could help with the playmaking of KPJ and Green (think floaties at the pool) while Sengun would get more minutes and hone his passing and playmaking with the 2nd unit. This would, in theory, allow us to develop Sengun and our guards. Of course, Bruno proceeded to not live up to the high expectations of a lob threat and Silas didn't really give Sengun more responsibility or minutes and it turned into a shitcake situation.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We understand the logic. Our issue was that you don't put your best player on the bench, nor do you give the ball to a player that had absolutely no PG skills (despite him getting some assists). The fact that the organization thought it was a better idea to keep developing KPJ at the expense of continuing to develop an actual skilled player was pretty ****ing stupid.

There is no ****ing hindsight on that either. It was stupid.

slothy420, YaoMac09, maypk and 3 others like this.
  6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Let me make the contradiction in your argument more clear for you:

Silas apologists arguments for his treatment with Sengun: Sengun is not good enough, he needs to improve, he needs to prove himself and earn his minutes. It hurts the team. I am rockets fan, you only think what is best for Sengun. Also he should not shoot 3s, that hurts the team too. If he shoots 3s, that could seriously hurt our record.

Silas apologists arguments for all the other **** he is pulling: Winning is not a priority. We can try try the kpj experiment. In fact let's not just play him, lets just put a different center next to him he can only make one type of pass (and even not good at that). And sacrifice all the development opportunity for a future allstar. jabari can play even if he sucks.

And even after seeing sengun perform like this, you can defend the 'well-documented logic'. That logic was **** and you can see it from where KPJ is, Bruno is and Sengun is.

7. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I believe Sengun is our best player currently, at least on offense anyways. He is definitely my favorite player on the team and I was on record defending his defense last season numerous times, even spelling out how he could become a better defender (much of what he has been doing this season). I am still as unconvinced as last season however regarding whether or not he is franchise player material. I am STILL waiting for him to demonstrate consistency or at least reliability from some sort of range, whether it be from long midrange or three. If he can do that, then I will be ready to call him a star and franchise player material. Others will obviously disagree with this take.

heypartner likes this.
  8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

It was about kpj. Silas had never had any plans for Sengun, as he didn't have any capacity to use a center other than creating a lob threat. The best he could do for sengun was to give him postup touches and let him operate there. Even that was used against sengun as if he is only a post-up player.

Such an idiotic way of seeing a post-up player of the past in Sengun, who fits in the modern game so well. That's how good Silas is at coaching.

AroundTheWorld and HardenReturns like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If we were going to trade with the Hawks for a backup center, I'd go for Okongwu. He can do pretty much everything Capela does and is younger and cheaper.

10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why does it matter that there was well documented logic if it ended up being wrong? Isn't the result what matters?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

The idea was that you simultaneously develop all your young players. Developing KPJ was not supposed to come at the expense of Sengun that it did. That is entirely on Silas, either for deciding that or accepting an FO mandate to do so. Same applied for Bari as well, who was absolutely done zero favors by Silas.

cryout75, Dobbizzle and HardenReturns like this.
  12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

If you are asking me if I agreed with developing KPJ or how Silas handled Sengun, my answer would be a big fat resounding "NO!". I hated Silas with every fiber of my being and hopes he never gets another coaching job in the remaining years of his lifetime.

13. conquistador#11

The last regime didn't know how to stagger minutes or didn't want to do it until it was brought up by the media. Then it would stop a week later. So many shake your head moments.

14. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

No, I am not asking you that. I just pointed out that 'Sengun having more minutes second unit and showcasing his passing etc' was a narrative made up to justify the move. There was no intention of that from Silas or the organization. They didn't care for Sengun at all, the move was for kpj.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Whatever the actual intentions were, that was what was sold to us fans and there was sound logic to it. The fact that they did the opposite was a complete travesty.

HardenReturns likes this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Just think, NBA players were recognizing that Sengun was our best player. You had KD and Jokic saying we should run the offense more through Sengun. We all recognized it.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"Nope." ;)

ElPigto likes this.
  18. 34to11

34to11 Member

It appears the disconnect lies with your reluctance (or inability) to comprehend and objectively appreciate much outside of your Sengun-centric worldview.

I'm not sure that's something I can help you with.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Look, we have a Silas Only Fan here.

YaoMac09, J Sizzle and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. 34to11

34to11 Member

A failed execution ≠ A faulty concept