1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll][Rockets Season 2023-24] Jalen Green Unleashed... Will He Rise...or Wilt....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jul 24, 2023.

?

will he

Poll closed Nov 1, 2023.
  1. rise

79.5%
  2. wilt

20.5%
  1. cml750

cml750 Member

When he is "on" on offense, which is rare, he is good but he is absolutely 100% ass on the defensive side of the court. That is what Ime needs to work on. He is so bad at defense he would be unplayable on a contender except for garbage minutes.

Corrosion and Bobbythegreat like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think a career 54% ts is him being "on" rare...

That's the same scoring efficiency of the first two years of guys like Booker and Ant Edwards. It's better than a lot of guys like Beal and Lavine also.

3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I think it has a lot to do with him not being the declared chosen one and the chosen one's fans persistently ******** over anybody who could take the shine away (Green had WAY more star flashes, and it's not even close.) I also think there's still that whole crowd of boomers who can't get over younger kids painting their nails despite Rodman winning multiple chips.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It's not rare though, he scored over 20 points in 58%of his games, and 15 points or under in 23% of his games, never scored 0 points.

The anointed one scored 15 points or under in 57% of his games, and over 20 points in 20% of his games including a 0 point game.

Do you see why this reads like cognitive dissonance?

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cade Cunningham with 30 and 9 and 25 and 10 in 2 of his 1st 3 games leading the Pistons to a 2-1 record so far…I watched their game last night and they actually looked pretty fun

c’mon Jalen, it’s time

i3artow i3aller and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. fchowd0311

Ya and people forget that the Rockets had games like yesterday where Sengun was getting every look and dominating for significant stretches to close out the game but it was Jalen instead.

Like do people remember this game? And that was a faint a top western conference team

I agree. He absolutely needs to step it up. Like him ho humming like he has the first two games extrapolated to the the midway point is going to result in him being discussed in trade talks and deservedly. He won't be in the long term future plans if his first two games are an indication of the rest of the season. I really hope it isn't and I don't think it will be.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Jalen needs to step up big-time. Man, that Duren pick looks pretty solid right now. Duren’s and Ausur’s athleticism is going to make for some really great defense for years to come.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

breh had his chance. it's now amen's time for the spotlight and wilt.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

In the same stroke though, it's clear that Ime has told him he needs to work on defense and leadership and he is certainly not being focused on as the main weapon of the offense like before. I'd expect his numbers to take a dip along with his usage. He's being too humble where he should be asserting himself as an emerging star, but part of that appears to be the role he's been assigned.

Here's an interesting take on the CF narratives, if Sengun played good all of last year, and Green played bad, who's the better player: The dude who consistently scored over 20 points by playing badly, or the dude who struggled to get over 15 whilst playing great?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

I'm more than willing to admit Sengun is the more polished offensive player as of now and that last season Sengun was underutilized.

But that can't turn into a overcorrection where Ime turns Green into Tim Hardaway Jr.

The first two games has gotten me a little disappointed in Ime's offensive creativity. Maybe he's easing the team into more advanced sets as the season moves a long but as of now it's still "your turn, my turn" and that is going to freeze players out. I was expecting a lot more dhos, two man back and forth action. More Sengun in the high post doing multiple dhos with Green and Jabari etc.

AlperenSengun and Dobbizzle like this.
  11. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yeah I agree, there's been more structure than Silas, but most youth teams have more structure than Silas. So far the offense has been far from inspired whilst seeing a noticeable uptick in defensive effort. It's gonna take a bit of time, but if they trade Green, he'll go and be the scoring champ for somebody else and probably light us up on the regular.

12. cml750

cml750 Member

I am talking about when he is "on". Anyone can score 20 points on enough shots when you have a green light. The "anointed one" as you describe him had such a green light for only a short stint in January and got yanked for any mistake the entire Silas tenure. He was never "anointed" by Silas like Green and KPJ. Green got the "green light" no matter how bad he was playing and like I said if you take enough shots scoring 20 is not as much as an accomplishment as you make it out to be.

13. fchowd0311

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/who-has-the-most-games-with-30-points-before-turning-21

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/who-has-the-most-games-with-40-points-before-turning-21

Green really doesn't shoot himself into high volume high scoring nights. I think you just hate him . 54% on 30+ or games and 6th most in NBA history before turning 21 and 60% on 40+ or games and 3rd in NBA history before turning 21.

14. fchowd0311

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/who-has-the-most-games-with-30-points-before-turning-21

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/who-has-the-most-games-with-40-points-before-turning-21

Green really doesn't shoot himself into high volume high scoring nights. I think you just hate him . 54% on 30+ or games and 6th most in NBA history before turning 21 and 60% on 40+ or games and 3rd in NBA history before turning 21.

List all the players in league history with a higher scoring scoring average, higher career ts% and efg% before turning 21 in NBA history. All of them. It probably isn't going to take that long honestly. Probably like 10 players in league history you can find doing the exercise.

O-dawg and Dobbizzle like this.
  15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

And yet I already posted a few posts before that one his numbers when he's "on" as you put it. None of them were low efficiency. And I'll say it again, if he played bad and Sengun played good then your narrative has a serious problem, because the guy who played "bad" massively outperformed the guy who played "good" overall last season. If the guy playing bad still puts up bigger numbers, the guy playing good aint that good.

O-dawg likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Jalen Green superfans will never stop trying to spin his dogshit performances into gold.

The hardest working fanbois in sports.

cml750 likes this.
  17. cml750

cml750 Member

[​IMG]

18. kpdark

kpdark Member

19. kpdark

kpdark Member

20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Always amazes me how the opposing announce team are always way more positive about our players than our own fans. Warriors team praising Jalen just like the Spurs were.

O-dawg and kpdark like this.