1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Tripping... I'll be shocked if he's better than Scoot.

Amen's jumper is actually broke... He's not just an inefficient shooter... It's broken and that's a huge issue for his future and potential to become a star at this level because he's also not 6'9>... I think best case scenario is he becomes an Andre Igoudala level player.

2. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Im still shook about him and will be til he proves my doubts wrong and overcomes the serious deficiency that some people seem to think is no big deal.

3. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

OTE League is dogshit and yeah you're crazy for thinking that.

NewAge likes this.
  4. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

Amen is by far The Rockets best draft pick and the future of this team, he doesn't have to be Curry... He is an athletic long point guard with insane IQ and defensive ability. He will be more valuable than any of the picks that went before him. Yes, he had a bad first game and it means nothing.....

Y2JT, DeBeards, Hemingway and 4 others like this.
  5. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Yep there were 3 things that worried me about him predraft as being a high bust potential.

-broken jumper.... terrible shooter.
    -loose handles for a lead guard... Needs to tighten tremendously to be an NBA PG.
    -surprisingly shaky inefficient finisher in the OTE League in the halfcourt... Apart from dunking there's nothing he does reliably as a scorer.

6. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

that possession in which we were down 6 or 4 and he had the ball on a 2 on 1 and he couldn't even grab the ball, not talking about dribbling but he was so shaky and nervous that he couldn't even pick up the ball and he just watched it squirm away. I don't think ive ever seen that from a guard, you expect that from Boban types

DreamShook likes this.
  7. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

You're just making statements not backed up with any real evidence... He should be a good defender with elite defensive potential sure which is why I said Andre Igoudala level at best.... Everything else you said is devoid of substance.

Obviously there's a wide ocean between Curry and Amen... Why tf would you say that... If he could shoot like Westbrook that would be an improvement :confused:

8. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

You're just making statements not backed up with any real evidence... He should be a good defender with elite defensive potential sure which is why I said Andre Igoudala level at best.... Everything else you said is devoid of substance.

Obviously there's a wide ocean between Curry and Amen... Why tf would you say that... If he could shoot like Westbrook that would be an improvement

9. Salvy

Salvy Member

I really don't feel like arguing over a rookie with literally less than 25 min played in the NBA, so I'll concede... No way your judgement can be wrong and the substance of your arguments are too strong to contradict. You have so much to go by , a whole 21 minutes to determine the next 10 years of Amen's career and how bad he is at basketball.

IvanLCPM, cbass, Zen Tabak and 2 others like this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

yea i remember. when Sengun was wide open. I was so disappointed. but we saw the flashes during those 30 minutes in summer league. gonna hold on to that forever.

#510 DreamShook, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
    CantStopJG24 and NewAge like this.
  11. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

What games beside the summer league game have you been watching that you see a super star?

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is anyone else completely underwhelmed by Amen's defense? I thought it was supposed to be really good for a rookie. But he stands completely upright and has slow feet, which has him getting beat by opposing players pretty easily.

These are issues that can be addressed, so I'm not anti-Amen. But I am disappointed by his less than advertised defense.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

There are plenty of players with Andre Iguodala-level shooting and his height (or less) who are better than Andre Iguodala overall.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sir, I will not stand here and let you slander Salvy's character. He is a man of both facts and of course logic.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

yeah i was hoping we would get that amen defense at least.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Amen’s defense was never a predraft strength, it was always defensive potential, his actual defense was too much gambling. His brother was the one who had elite defense, and better shooting. The intrigue with Amen was the more advanced ball handling….eek.

17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Seeing someone, like VISUALLY nervous is crazy. Game was going a million miles an hour for him and also in slow motion lol just hyped tf out. The other one that got me is he took an inbounds and I think Anthony ran up for full court pressure 1 on 1. Amen saw him coming and just fumbled, but got it back in time because Anthony was like 20 feet away lol... he kind of slapped the ball and you could see him shake his head saying something. Just nerves.

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  18. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Not every player can adapt to the speed of the NBA. If we just drafted based on athleticism, might just go draft out of the NFL combine.

Amen currently has no shooting, no handles, and no defense. All he has is potential. Take the L and move on Amendelusioners.

NewAge likes this.
  19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen can be a number one option on a Championship team, why? He has elite skills on offense, with elite passing and athleticism. He is 6’7 and can move anywhere on the court….his shooting is getting better. On defense, he can defend 1-4 positions, block shots, steals and rebound…he can control a game.

Amen did not play well against Orlando in his first game BUT, he will next game….he was just nervous

Y2JT likes this.
  20. NewAge

NewAge Member

some potential, yes, but long way away from being long way away…