1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He wasn't good after the All-Star break. And his overall season was *still* better than Jordan Montgomery's.

And what does things mattering even mean? Did things matter last year when Framber posted a 1.44 ERA in four postseason starts, including the title clincher? Did things matter in the ALDS when Montgomery gave up 4 ER in four innings against Baltimore?

I really can't believe we still have people that think random success in the postseason translates in any meaningful way. Framber was an elite pitcher through the All-Star break. And he was elite in 2022. I'd much rather gamble that pitcher returns than Jordan Montgomery sustaining a random stretch of great pitching in the postseason.

jim1961 likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Why do we need to do *anything* to Kyle Tucker, other than extend him? He's an elite baseball player. He's fine. Guy had an ill-timed slump; it happens. Did anyone suggest Altuve needed a psychologist after starting last postseason 0-for-whatever?

Rileydog and solid like this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think Framber has had a lot of innings and high stress work over the last three years. Long playoff runs each of the last 3 years and the World Baseball Classic this winter. That's a lot. His stuff remains incredible -- but I think his focus and intensity wasn't there all the time. He gave up two cheap opposite field HRs in Game 6 -- that happens from time to time. Other than that, I thought he pitched very well in Game 6. He'll be back to form -- I'm very confident.

4. Hey Now!

They're more comfortable speaking in their native tongue. Plus, it's to make sure they don't misspeak and say something they don't mean, which can get misquoted. The team has nothing to do with it, other than providing the interrupter (and likely encouraging them to choose the language that makes them more comfortable). This is SOP among non-English speaking athletes.

There's nothing nefarious about it, especially given the # of Spanish-speaking media that covers MLB.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yes to this. He was really good for a rookie, but pooped out toward the end. He has the same mechanics as Verlander and 4 good pitches. He is going to be a stud.

6. raining threes

Good for you

7. raining threes

He performed like most rookies do.

8. raining threes

He performed like most rookies do. Is he going to turn into a TOR guy or a Javier type guy?

9. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Tucker's body language was tough to watch in the ALCS, guy looked so defeated. I had partial season tickets in 153 so I got to watch Tucker up close all year, he's always been very stoic thats just who he is but he looked like a shell of himself. I remember in ALCS Game 6 after he hit that first pitch pop up to the catcher, in between innings where tucker ALWAYS plays catch with the ball boy in right field, the ball boy threw him the ball and Tuck feebly threw it back at him, it even bounced. Then he turned and faced home plate with his hands on his knees while the rest of the defense went about their normal in between inning routine. Not only was he slumping but you could tell it mentally got his head out of the game.

That being said, I know Tuck will bounce back to his normal self next year it was just tough to watch someone so good look so lost when we needed him the most.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Nook and Fiah like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

raining threes and IdStrosfan like this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

No he was going to be a free agent. This looks like a fair deal but probably has more upside than downside since it’s not a lot of money and he has potential to be an elite RP who owns an inning in every playoff game.

Nook likes this.
  13. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

It was buying out arbitration years and one extra year.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is why we can not have nice things.

15. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

Most likely he is a middle of the rotation pitcher, which isn't bad.

#335 Jose Cuervo, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tucker's WAR for the last three seasons:
    2021 5.7 (age 24)
    2022 5.3 (age 25)
    2023 5.4 (age 26)

Not seeing 2023 as a disappointment.

Hey Now! likes this.
  17. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Since the playoffs don't count, I suspect he will be top 5 for MVP voting.
    Dude was a 30/29.75 guy.

This will not be a popular take but I say trade him as soon as he rejects this off-season's' contract offer.
    He alone can do a large part of replenishing the farm. A trade with 2 years of control will get you a haul!!!

#337 Kemahkeith, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
    No Worries likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/10/braves-sign-pierce-johnson-to-two-year-extension.html

Says here he was slated for free agency and roster resource had him slated for free agency as well. He has been in the majors for parts of 6 seasons, but does only have 3 years of service time so not sure how that works. He was released by the Padres last year so I assume as part of his deal with Colorado he was exempt from arbitration.

Nook likes this.
  19. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.mlb.com/news/pierce-johnson-braves-deal

The deal covers Johnson's final two years of salary arbitration, as well as his first year of free agency, if the Braves exercise the team option for 2026.

Nook and Joe Joe like this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't see an issue with Pena. He he had a bad October due to some bad BABIP luck, but he's fine as your 8/9 hitter. The issue was Maldonado and his completely non competitive AB's in the 9 hole forcing more upon everybody else.

Assuming the team is moving on from Maldy, catcher would be one of my primary offseason targets. Diaz should be the primary catcher, but even as the man I don't want him catching 120 games. Secondly, Nook has mentioned he has had trouble focusing on the game management side of the job in the past. I'm not saying it will happen, but the team needs another option in case he regresses in that regard once he gets the job. Game management is too important to have somebody half assing it. Best case a good backup allows up to keep Diaz fresh, worst case we need a guy who can be a capable starter if Diaz has to be moved to DH/1B frequently.

Catcher and a great relief option are the only pressing needs IMO. We will probably add another starter to play it safe, but I don't think it's a pressing need. I think Brown/Javier will both be much better next season. A lefthanded platoon option would also be nice.

Nook, IBTL, CheezeyBoy22 and 2 others like this.