1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 roster

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by IdStrosfan, Jun 18, 2023.

1. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Would you be against Montgomery since he just beat us?

Trade for Burnes?
    We'll get outbid but try for Yamamoto?
    Try for the Cuban guy(Rodriguez)I mentioned earlier

Who else is available?

2. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

The FA class I looked at a while back was underwhelming. It had who you just mentioned but also the Detroit pitcher that refused to go to the Dodgers. Lance Lynn was one of the top options, no thank you.

3. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Eduardo Rodriguez but was the reason he rejected LA was because he wants to be in the East?
    Stroman as well if he opts out.
    Lynn, no thanks. He'll be with guys like Flaherty. Inning eater but come playoffs, yikes.
    And I think there's another Japanese pitcher as well from Yokohama Bay Stars. But not as hyped as Yamamoto and probably more of a bust risk. Shota Imanaga

On a unrelated note, if Brown was after Bellinger at the deadline, does he go after him? Probably will get a big contract and can he retain his 2023 season or will he regress again after he gets his money? Or just see what McCormick can do full time? If he doesn't do as well, just find someone at the deadline?

#143 punkoholic, Oct 24, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It's possible Crane is locking his chops now to trade Tucker after seeing all these fans (deservedly) rip him a new one because he definitely doesn't want to pay him down the line. As good as Crane is as an owner, he's a businessman and the Astros are a business.

raining threes likes this.
  5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Bellinger would be a good get. Can play outfield or first base with good defense/fielding which allows him to take the LF/occasional CF role and also occasionally back up Abreu at 1st. Plus he’s a lefty.

rockbox likes this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Geez is the SP FA class really that bad?

I guess Snell and Sonny Gray will want a boat load of cash.

Aaron Nola is good every other year...so maybe next year he turns it around

#146 robbie380, Oct 24, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  7. raining threes

Sign Montgomery and the international Free Agent they're looking at and trade for a bat

8. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I'd trade Pena for a young pitcher and let Dubon play short.
    Sign Shelby Miller and Jordan Montgomery.
    Montgomery has had about the same ERA as Framber over the last three years so not a flash in the pan.

9. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Member

Definitely shake this team up

raining threes likes this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

JV, Framber, McCullers, Javier, Brown, France, and Urquidy are plenty of starters.

I fully expect 20+ starts from McCullers at #2-#3 type level performance. He's been injured 1 1/2 of the past 2 seasons so 2024 is his scheduled healthy season.

Seriously though, SP is probably the strength of the 2024 team. The only way a SP is brought in is if it's a veteran lottery ticket on a prove it contract or they trade away 2-3 of the #4-#5 type guys they have now.

Javier and Brown need to, and should take a step up. Framber will have less pressure with 5 other legitimate starters.

I would like to see France and/or Urquidy traded in a package for a bat that mashes RHP. Bielak, Whitley, and/or Arrighetti could be traded also. It depends on what the other team values but can't trade scraps for productive players.

rockbox likes this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Cody Bellinger and/or JD Martinez. We need Montero to get his mojo back and get another relief pitcher.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Can't trade Pena now that his value is down, they will get dimes on the dollar.

Dubon is not an everyday starter and starting him takes away his value which is versatility. He is a perfect #12 or 13 bench player

13. Pringles

Pringles Member

We have the depth of starters, but the quality of our starters is very questionable.

Do we trust that the majority or all of Framber, Javier, McCullers, and Brown will be reliable starters next year? We need 4 quality starters during the postseason, and unfortunately, we just had one for 2023. I think our hands are bit tied, however.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This is basically what I am saying, except I think the answer is Yes this team has enough depth but that depth isn't better than replacement level.

To me the difference between 2024 J.P. France and 2024 Brandon Bielak, Shawn Dubin, or Ronel Blanco if given the same starts/innings is very very slight.

So why not trade France, insert 1 of them into France's spot, then insert Arrighetti or another prospect into that vacated spot, which will be at AAA anyway?

Then the player you got for France (and others) improves this team.

Pringles likes this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

What are everyone's thoughts on Nolan Jones? What do you think it would take to get him? Do you like the fit? Realistic?

I think he would be a great fit.

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

I'm in favor of trading any of our starting pitchers.

17. Amadeus Rooster

Altuve
    Yordan
    Bregman

Trade everybody else as fast as possible. Bring in massive haul.

18. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Yes we have a bunch of starters but after JV I dont trust anyone else at the moment, and your ace wasn’t even here at the start of the year. You can’t have your ace a 38 year old who is here for another year. Lance is always injured now and Framber is a big question mark.

They really do need to go after another starting pitcher and thin out the fat afterwards. I would love if they go after a proven experienced post season pitcher like Nola or Montgomery here.

jim1961, phasors28 and everyday eddie like this.
  19. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

probably young/inexperienced posters.

lnchan likes this.
  20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Typical lineup vs LHP
    Altuve 2B
    Bregman 3B
    Alvarez DH
    Tucker RF
    McCormick LF