1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Rangers vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2023.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I love the Houston Astros, anyone who wears the uniform

I also know Diaz isn't going to play tonight, but still feel the need to post some factual numbers

At MMP this year
    Diaz .328/.973 OPS, 13 doubles and 14 HR in 186 at bats, that's an extra base hit every 6.8 at bats (for reference, Yordan in all situations has an extra base hit every 7.5 at bats)
    Maldanado .215/.645 OPS, 7 doubles and 7 HR in 177 at bats, that's an extra base hit every 12.6 at bats

Vs RHP
    Diaz .307/.931 OPS, 15 doubles and 20 HR in 257 at bats, that's an extra base hit every 7.3 at bats (again better than anywhere Yordan)
    Maldonado .175/.538 OPS, 7 doubles and 9 HR in 274 at bats, that's an extra base hit every 17.1 at bats

The difference between these two is so enormous that EVEN IF Maldonado was the defensive wonder that Dusty and a few others try to make him out to be, it isn't nearly worth the difference offensively.

I know a lot of fans will also look at an individual at bat and say "see, he struck out" or whatever, but given at bats in MMP vs RHP, all the dude has done is produce at Yordan freaking Alvarez levels....and in those situations, which are the two that we struggle the most in, his ass is parked on the bench

Sorry to anyone who comes to defend this decision which has been made over and over, but it's simply idiotic. Now do I know for a fact that it has cost us one of our three losses in this series, absolutely not. But I do know the overall chances of us winning would have been much higher in those games if we had another high producing bat in the lineup in place of the worst hitter in mlb

2. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Hell bro, I will sacrifice a chicken if I need to.
    Kyle Tucker needs to sacrifice something to the baseball gods before tonight's game
    I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now.
    The Duster basically moth balled both Diaz and McCormick for the last week of the season and the Astros first playoff series.
    Players play better when used in a consistent manor. Chas had one good game but was not the Chas we saw throughout the season. Same with Diaz, sans the good game. Only uncle Mike can roll out of bed and hit.
    Rust is a real thing. IMO Duster killed any mojo these guys were building throughout the season.

I want Dusty to head off to Florida and take up residence in a Margaritaville complex just for the dwarfing of Diaz's rookie campaign. LF, 1B, Catcher, DH. No way he could have got him more at bats?????

I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO THANK HIM LATER.

IBTL, Jake Tower, Wulaw Horn and 3 others like this.
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Dubon is trying to do too much, and Brantley is struggling the last few games. Let's start Chas and Diaz today.

Altuve
    Bregman
    Yordan - LF
    Abreu
    Tucker
    Chas - CF
    Diaz - DH
    Pena
    Maldy

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Batters Eye is a Amusement Park of Beer

Jake Tower likes this.
  5. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

How can we be expected to do anything today????

ROCKSS, Tfor3 and The Beard like this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

But.... is it frustrating? The 8th would certainly qualify as frustrating - but only Dubon and Pena hit with runners on at any point during the game's first 7 innings, and Dubon did deliver with an RBI sac fly in the 6th.

This underscores the point I've been making over and over and over again throughout these many pages: fans are going to jump up and down about the 8th inning - and it was certainly a crucial moment. But they'll (too) casually just ignore:

- Abreu and Tucker leaving runners on in the 1st;
    - Abreu leaving runners on in the 3rd;
    - Altuve + Brantey + Bregman going 1-2-3 after the gift of a HBP on Maldy in the 5th;
    - Tucker grounding into a fielder's choice with runners on and nobody out in the 6th (after which, Dubon picked him up)
    - Alvarez's atrocious AB in the 8th after a Bregman walk

Brantley, Bregman and Tucker were 0-9. Sure seems like *that's* the problem - but no one is going to argue Baker screwed that up - so it's let's focus on the guys who had 10 of the team's 38 PAs.

Sure, at the end, 7/8/9 factored into a critical 8th inning. But the guys this offense is actually built around came up WAY shorter than our 7-8-9 hitters. The very idea it came down to our 7/8/9 hitters is, really a stinging indictment of the guys hitting 1-6. They continually failed to cash in.

But, sure - let's yell about who should've been the 9th hitter, I guess?...

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I fully expect another 2, maybe 3 run meek offensive effort in game 7.

If Rangers score 4 runs, this game is over.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

2B Jose Altuve
    CF Mauricio Dubon
    LF Yordan Alvarez
    3B Alex Bregman
    1B Jose Abreu
    DH Yainer Diaz
    RF Chas McCormick
    SS Jeremy Pena
    C Martin Maldonado

Tucker odd man out, literally a odd man

#10288 rockets1995, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    whiskeyred and Uprising like this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

This will either be a Huge Collapse and Firings, Long Sleepless Nights or a Win

#10289 rockets1995, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well its the one thing that can be second-guessed... because it was a managerial decision (PH'ing Singleton).

Yes, 1-6 does their job as they're supposed to, and yesterday is a very different game and a very different series. I was fine with giving Dubon that chance given his ability to make contact... but the worst case scenario happened. I was not fine with Singleton live, and even knowing how good a story it could have been (and how it was a quality AB), I was still not fine with it.

On the flip side, given Dusty's reactionary style, he won't make those same decisions today should a similar scenario arise... and we can then postulate whether him doing things in this order actually 'inspired' the potential performance he may end up getting out of the guys he didn't use (trigger @Joe Joe alert...)

Hey Now! likes this.
  11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Because....Scherzer? ....trying to come up with possible variables that equate to a freak home win.

They've lost 3 at home already this series....they have to even things out and win at least 1.....if not, they don't deserve to move on.

side note. F-you 2019.

whiskeyred and Nick like this.
  12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

The Astros players tonight?
    Or the fans during the day?

Jk

Bregatron, whiskeyred and 9baller like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lol... if anything 2019 has to help this situation.

Can't happen again after it never happened before, no? Let alone can't happen to the exact same team in the exact same stadium, no?

2020 was almost an epic 3-0 comeback against the Rays... but everybody was like no way this can happen again but lets just interview all the 2004 Red Sox guys just in case it does. It didn't and re-inforces how unlikely these statistical anomalies are.

Yes... another view point that is easing up the tension for tonight. (to follow the previous one that they shouldn't even be here after getting swept by KC/Oakland etc. etc. etc.).

joshuaao likes this.
  14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Can't put Dubon in the 2 hole vs a rhp

I know the guy has had some moments this year, and I personally love the passion that he has for the game

But vs RHP dude has a .291 ON BASE average, that's terrible. And it's not like he is going to give you the "quality at bat" that can move a runner over, make a pitcher throw strikes in front of your best hitter, and so forth. He literally goes up there hacking

The way he has worn out LHP this year has really boosted his overall numbers to where they look good. But he isn't a good hitter vs RHP, and if he plays he shouldn't be high in the lineup

Now, if we were facing a LHP, he has a .368 on base vs LHP, a .859 OPS, hell yea to having him in the 2 hole vs a lefty

What really should (but won't) happen vs a RHP tonight is the most lethal lineup a pitcher could face

Altuve
    Brantley
    Yordan
    Bregman
    Diaz
    Abreu
    Chas
    Tucker
    Pena

Yes, Tucker and Pena are really struggling and Diaz has barely played, but there isn't a guy in that lineup that can't make you pay when you throw a mistake. That would be an extremely tough lineup to navigate for any pitcher

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. Hey Now!

I was at my son's baseball tournament (they were literally getting their rings *during* Singleton's AB, lol - it was TENSE!) so I wasn't "in" the moment; I'm really only able to reflect on it.

But I can see the thinking: 1) Diaz swings at everything, and with two outs, you have to make contact; 2) Chas makes the most sense - but, boy: he's had some abysmal ABs in this series, too - but, again: that would've been my choice; 3) Singleton had a terrific AB against Lecleric two nights ago & he's notorious for working walks - that forces Lecleric to throw strikes because he sure as hell can't walk him there, obviously.

So I thought it was a defensible decision. Of course, the decision is only judged through the filter of results, and so everyone is both upset with it and 100% sure their choice would've succeed. But I will point out: Singleton did have a tremendous AB. He hit at least one rope down the line and worked a 3-2 count - which puts *a lot* of pressure on the pitcher. I think that at least speaks to it not being a *bad* decision.

joshuaao, snowconeman22 and Nick like this.
  16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Singleton did good at that at-bat. I didn't like the Dobby at-bat with bases-loaded, when you have an opposing pitching coach talking on the mound before your at-bat. You should think they are talking about your weakness. Yet Dobby let them dictated the terms.

17. Pringles

Pringles Member

This is a toss-up. Vegas odds reflect that with the Astros being a slight favorite.

As others said, if we can't win one at home, then we don't deserve to go to the World Series.

Stephen66, whiskeyred and Rox Addict like this.
  18. Hey Now!

I'd like to see them put Bregman 2nd and Alvarez 3rd; then Abreu, Tucker and Chas.

If there's ANY chance Diaz plays tonight, I would lobby hard to bat him 2nd, which I know is radical - but between Altuve and Bregman, he's likely to see better pitches, and he'll destroy better pitches. His one weak spot - so far - is that he swings at EVERYTHING.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It wasn't bad... but its totally based solely on what he did Friday. Whereas Friday, he was not the first choice. Brantley had already PH for Chas and Diaz was the first PH option in the 9th (and got a hit) against this pitcher.

Yes, Diaz does swing at everything... but he also actually does damage when he gets hits vs. the theoretical damage that Singleton could do if he puts the ball in play, despite his increased selectiveness (and his OPS of 500 against right handers?).

I mean, Diaz getting a hit against Le Clerc doesn't outweigh Singleton drawing a walk? Or was it because Singleton drawing a walk was the least likely result on Friday... and because it did happen, and good things happened afterwards, it cemented that as a super positive reinforcing decision with a much more elevated feeling because it happened so unexpectedly.

Again, managing based on recency, hunches, and looking for that decision to pay-off sometimes drives Dusty's calculus more than anything.

20. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yall think Scherzer can continue to be bad tonight? Gawd I hope so !!!!