1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Rangers vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2023.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Too many fans narrow their focus when things don't work out so they can be mad. But it's rarely one decision that torpedoes a game. They had used Maton, Neris and Abreu. In that situation, your choice is either Pressly or Montero/Stanek. I don't think Uquidy, Brown or France were on the table.

I get the impulse to use Pressly as it worked out really well in game 5 - but you're down 2 and there's no day off after game 6. You risk burning him for a potential game 7 in a game in which your chances of winning are, statistically, less than 10%.

I know fans don't want nuisance - but Montero induced a weak-contact groundball to the 2B with a runner on. But it wasn't ideal for a DP and then Altuve made an error. Both of those are why baseball can be so damn frustrating. Once Semien singles to load the bases, as a manager, you're stuck. The Ranger's WP was 97%. I'm not sure emptying your barrel at that point is defensible.

verse, joshuaao and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let's pray the rosary, my brothers in Christ.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I think there is a chance Scherzer struggles more tonight. A lot of times when you are dealing with strains and you sit out for a long stretch, the first time back there isn't a lot of soreness, but bouncing back that first time can be tough. It's usually the 3rd-4th start before the body starts to feel right.

I know he is a veteran and has been through it and yada yada yada, but his body simply isn't the same as it used to be. If we have some good at bats he will be there for the taking

9baller likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I thought singleton had a good at bat

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I totally agree on the Singleton AB. I don't know if he was the *best* choice - but he had worked a crucial walk against Lecleric Friday and had a tremendous AB last night.

The problem with Diaz is that he swings at everything. Unless Lecleric makes a mistake, he's likely your worst option. McCormick has - in this series - had both abysmal and terrific ABs - I probably go him over Singleton (w Diaz hitting for Maldy - which is another consideration: there were going to be two PHs that inning) but, yeah: Singleton battled his ass off - and, seriously: how ****ing epic would it have been for *that* guy to send us to the WS??

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was a good AB... and it would have been epic... but that's sorta Dusty's managing in a nut-shell. He goes by hunches or the most recent of recency bias', not large sample size track records, and he would rather win with that long-shut hunch/epic option vs. playing the percentages.

And sometimes that is the way to go. The most analytically inclined managers in the AL (and in all of baseball, frankly) are all sitting at home. I guess Lovullo is slightly more inclined than any of the remaining guys... and his team has the worst odds of winning it all right now.

Just extremely frustrating that in a game where they needed just a little more offense as possible to win, Chas and Diaz got no AB's after the 8th was done, while Singleton/Pena/Maldy/Dubon had 9.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

When we were getting swept by KC and OAK (playoffs unlikely) and you told me that we were going to play game 7 in the ALCS, I would be excited

TEX was up 2-0 in this series, if you would have told me THEN about a game 7, I would be even MORE excited

This is what this game is all about. I want this team to exorcise all demons tonight.

I love my team.

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

the vibe is nervous and scared. hopefully the astros don't feel the same way. meanwhile the rangers can taste it. hoping for the best but the astros need to show some heart. rangers can't score in the 1st and Astros need to put up a couple runs to set the tone

Xerobull and franchise403 like this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree. He was the best option against LeClerk who is RH and has very iffy command.

Dubon was the enfuritating one. The bases are loaded. 1 out with tying run at 2nd. The pitcher just walked the guy in front of you on 5 pitches. You aren't exactly a power/run producing type of player. You swing at the first 2 pitches down and outside nowhere even close to strikes.

Little league baseball 101 there: don't swing until he has thrown a strike.

If the team even gets 1 run there, then there is life.

At that point, pitching Montero instead of Pressly was the right move. The game was over. The 5 runs in the 9th might as well not have happened and mean nothing.

joshuaao, marks0223 and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The other thing that just wears me out on Chas and Diaz is we only had 3 players who hit the ball really well at MMP this year, Yordan, Chas (was a little better than Yordan at home) and Yainer beat both of those two by 100 points of OPS

Dusty will do what he wants though

Stephen66 likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Damn... you just proved why everything from here on out should be looked at as gravy.

That's all it took from my standpoint. They are indeed lucky as hell to be here right now and basically just need to beat an older/coming off injury pitcher... whereas in an alternative universe, they could have been facing Cole ****ing Ragans in a must-win situation.

Still baffles me as to whenever Chris Young gets all the accolades on how he built this team... that trade gets glossed over, especially for a team that is desperate for starting pitching.

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i'm jaded and numb, boss.

Xerobull likes this.
  13. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Hell bro, I will sacrifice a chicken if I need to.
    Kyle Tucker needs to sacrifice something to the baseball gods before tonight's game

IBTL likes this.
  14. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

THIS. I just can’t stand the Rangers. And everyone always seems to want to tell me how much they hate the Astros, want them to lose and they’re cheaters.

Jake Tower likes this.
  15. Elienator

Elienator Member

It’s easier as a GM when your owner is willing to throw a half billion dollars around on free agents.

The Rangers have a good team though. They had the second best run differential in the AL and despite their injuries and under performance of individuals they have enough pitching to win in the playoffs. They went out and attempted to address their gaps in trades and they needed bullpen help more than starters when that trade was made. Seems like he’s done a good job overall.

16. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

I have no confidence in this team…if they win cool, but I’m certainly not expecting it…I hope they prove me wrong, I don’t mind them losing, I do mind them losing to the trash Rangers…

Stephen66 likes this.
  17. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I grew up in the Astrodome in the late 90's as a 9 year old kid

I had the Mother's Cookies baseball card collection of the team (or maybe it was Kroger?)

While everyone was riding Griffey as kids, Jeff Bagwell was always the coolest to me.

These last 7 years are still so surreal after everything that has transpired with this franchise since then.

I miss Springer. I miss Correa. I miss Milo Hamilton. I miss the Killer B's.

My father is the one who got me into it. It was my Mom that got me into the Rockets.

I took him to see the Twins for his birthday this year a few rows behind 1st base. He was so happy.

Nick likes this.
  18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

last night reminded me of 2021 when the Astros beat the Braves in Atlanta something serious. there was no way they would lose 2021 WS game 6 after the amount of balls they showed in game 5 right? they proceeded to wet the bed in game 6 at home going scoreless as we all know. I guess that game would have been last night so luckily they have another shot but I have a feeling they're gonna play tight to start the game

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ragans is a dominant lefty starter for years to come that won pitcher of the month on a team that was in last place. I'm guessing there aren't a lot of pitcher of the month winners on last place teams in the history of the game... and if there are, I bet they ended up having good careers.

Its just a short-sighted move for a fill-in (Chapman) that didn't really work out. Its also a microcosm of a team that may find some short lived success but will likely have another extended run of over-bloated payroll/lack of results.

20. Landry's Tooth

I'd go...

Altuve
    Brantley
    Alvarez
    Bregman
    Abreu
    McCormick
    Dubon (SS)
    Maldonado
    Tucker

They would never do it... Tucker is blind squirrel who finds a nut, he's a base runner with speed in front of the top of the order.

Sticking bad hitters between isn't going to work. Tucker walks and steals second, Maldy, Pena, and Dubon aren't knocking him in...

Jake Tower likes this.