1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Iko] Rockets not looking to trade Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 3, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I disagree. Udoka is the perfect Udoka player.

coachbadlee likes this.
  2. maypk

maypk Member

Watching the Rockets bench unit play is going to be painful with 3 non-shooters.

invocux, clos4life and Joe Rocket like this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It is going to be painful for the other team with the crazy defense we are going to play. The second unit with Amen, Cam, Tari, Tate, and Landale are going to run tract on other teams’ 2nd units. We also have Bullock and Holiday coming off the bench, both who shoot very well.

Bo6, vince, Mathloom and 3 others like this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Thats why Tate is a the odd man and I expect Bullock to be there with cam, tari, landale and amen. I like him but he is too short to defend bigs and he cant shoot.

clos4life likes this.
  5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

He's 28 with another club option year on his extension, and certainly the belief from at least one front office that what he does well is worthwhile. He's had a long career already amigo. NBL might not pay like the NBA but he still got paid for those years overseas. I'd be absolutely shocked if he were not offered at least one more contract in the NBA. He might not get offered a contract like Brooks got but that is the difference in him being a 31% 3 shooter on low volume and a 34% career shooter on middle volume.

groovemachine likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Tate’s play on defense is infectious. And he’s a smart cutter, too, and aware passer.

He’s just flat-out a smart, hustle player, who is adequately-skilled for team ball.

He’ll always have a role on teams coached by guys like Ime and Pops.

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

why you lot are always trying to trade Tate is beyond me.

Amen-Tate-Eason lineups will be must watch tv this year.

8. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't think Tate would work with other non shooters in the lineup. I may have been wrong. Somehow some way Ime is getting these players to be the best version of themselves in a very short period of time. He's playing defense without fouling, and not trying to do too much offensively. I'm here for it.

I get why Ime wanted FVV and Brooks. Now Tate makes sense. Neither Tate or Brooks are taking ill advised shots. And Ime believes that his defensive schemes will choke out opponents like they did in his one season in Boston. Tate played a flawless game last night and I'm not sure if he scored. This is beautiful basketball.

#128 BaselineFade, Oct 13, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
    Ancient Moabite, roslolian and Bo6 like this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

**** the guys who want Tate traded!

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We have not made it to the safe zone yet.....and now Jabari is carrying this team on his shooting alone.....

We take it game by game..........I would say Tate is at least staying till this season is over.

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

If he keeps playing under control like this he may last past this year. He's earning his playing time. That's the way it should be

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not until we are at half time, preseason games do not tell anything about minute allocations only that the Defense is for real now.

Tate has always been under control, where did you see him beyond control in the past.

Dobbizzle and BaselineFade like this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

That's right. He doesn't have to shoot 36% from 3 and he'll still play a long time because shooting 3s isn't the entire game.

roslolian and Dobbizzle like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I was on board the trade Tate train till I saw him play last game. The man flat out hustled and disrupted the Pells. He was one of the most impactful players who contributed to the rout and he didn't even score a point.

We need Tate because just like FVV, Bollock and Brooks he is a culture setter. Rox players know they need to hustle and scrap cuz if they don't guys like Tate, Green and Bollock gonna take their spot.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I remember a couple of years ago everyone was so adamant about dumping him for the best offer. He's exactly the kind of NBA player we needed around the young guys last season but he was barely with the team. They might have even made him sit out extra long just to keep the losing going.

He's going to help us a lot this season at backup SG/SF/PF and create serious competition for minutes. He seems more adjusted to the NBA now than ever and really this is the first time he's playing with a serious NBA team. He's not an elite defender, but he's definitely a very good one. You're not going to get any easy points against him. Good all round game with rebounding, passing and some positional versatility. What's not to like at his salary? Worth every penny.

He was working on his shot a lot last summer. We didn't get to see it showcased because the team sucked at executing a decent offense and he was quite rusty for most of his minutes last season. I bet he did a little bit more of that this summer. Once he gets into game shape and gets some rhythm back, I would not be surprised to see him make more 38% of wide open corners 3's (so maybe 34% overall). That's enough to keep the defense honest and ensure he's not a negative on the floor. I can still see him making a slight improvement to his 3pt shot, this new staff comes from an excellent shooting program (Spurs) so maybe we'll see better results.

rocketchamp, IvanLCPM and Bo6 like this.
  16. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I agree that Tate is a great role player - and in being that he might be more valuable to a contender. I am not saying we have to trade Tate. But if Tari and Cam play at a level, where we need minutes for their improvement without sacrificing our chance at winning, then I do think we need to trade either Tate or Bullock. Maybe not "need to", but in the very least listen to offers and accepting a good one.

17. i3artow i3aller

18. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

This idea that Tate is a high IQ, good defensive player is amazing considering his stats say the complete opposite.

DaDakota likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He isn't he is the typical guy who looks like he is helping when the reality is he is a net negative.

DD

Plowman likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree. I think Tate is fool’s gold. He is a thicker Pat Bev, that was a very mediocre player that got his kudos by running around flapping his arms and mouth to impress the uninformed basketball media and fans. At least, Bev shot pretty decent from outside when he wasn’t sitting on the bench with injuries.

Plowman likes this.