1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ TRADED to the Thunder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Oct 17, 2023.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Not opining on the legalese, just sharing the section in CBA as I hadn’t heard abt this supposed dilemma till I read this thread’s last page.

2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Not opining on the legalese, just sharing the section in CBA as I hadn’t heard abt this supposed dilemma till I read this thread’s last page.

Im not curious enough to dig through the NBA domestic violence policy Lol

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We talked about this clause at length in another thread - nothing in the arrest section or DV policy rider overrides the team's right to waive any player it wants whenever (provided that they pay whatever salary guarantees are owed).

Suspension without pay is discipline. Fines are discipline. Waiving is not.

No Worries, ArtV, Joe Rocket and 2 others like this.
  4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i know, there's just no logic in it what so ever. You have always been able to waive anyone you want as long as you pay them, that's NOT discipline of any kind. Just stupidity

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree, completely. But this is the impression Silver gave. "We will determine whether it's appropriate for Kevin Porter to be in training camp, or not." I mean, what?

I have found this whole thing bizarre. It seems like under most circumstances a guy screwing around like this would've been cut within the week.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why? because Feigen said *might*.

What reason does OKC have to waive him. Then ask yourself, why isn’t that a reason for the Rockets?
    Silver actually did not say that. He said “we have time, because it’s not in season.

So suppose he could have asked us not to waive until preseason started. And if so, doesn’t that imply teams could waive in-season sooner, for “basketball reasons”. Or would the team have to suffer with no ability to create a roster spot with a replacement player.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm surprised OKC is still hoarding picks.

OKC managed to accumulate a gazillion picks, but most of those are gonna be low frps. It'll b interesting to see how they utilize those esp with the low talent level the next couple of years.

ArtV likes this.
  8. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The woman in that situation always lies to cover up for her bf/husband. Everyone knew this was going to happen, it’s not news

Entropy, lnchan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

BMoney, Easy, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  11. i3artow i3aller

If the Thunder could start 5 future picks in place of actual human beings, they would,

BHannes2BHonest and Nook like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I'd be surprised if they can leverage on all those low picks, NBA isn't a place where you can always trade 4 quarters for a dollar. They are supposedly done tanking as well.

13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yeah we said that because he should have been just waived. There was a blatant lie that they couldn't waive him. No one said that there wasn't shrewd teams out there looking for a deal. The complaint was the optics.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm not 100% clear what we disagree about, but if you're going to imply that I'm a liar for unknown reasons, let's dig up the exact quotes and remove ambiguity:

I was thinking of 1:02 "take a little time here to better understand the situation". (Perhaps you took issue with my erroneous (but obviously implied) word "investigation", because you want to argue that Silver can arrive at a conclusion before the investigation does. Fine.)

You quoted 0:37, where he says "when we're not in season there's a little bit more of an opportunity to understand what's happening".

They're the same thing.

Notice throughout the entire interview he uses the word we. (Count it: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 - however one of those is an us, since we're being precise.)

What does that mean to you? To me it means that he views the decision about what to do with KPJ being partially under his authority.

Thank goodness the Thunder helped us wash our hands of it regardless. Good riddance, just happy to move on.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just because someone replies to you doesn’t mean they’re disagreeing. Sometimes their intent is to just further the conversation. That’s what I thought I was doing.

maybe I should have started my reply with “fwiw”.

the interesting expansion of the conversation to me is asking the question, what happens when an arrest is in season? Especially since Silver made a distinction about this not being in season.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow, Robinson Earl is just a 2nd year vet? Great pick up.

17. Ancient Moabite

In a joking manner, its a shame we won't get to see a skirmish over a head honcho locker room slot between KPJ vs Giddey/SGA

18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

ditto

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

How many things can get you high?
    I'm gonna try 'em all just once before I die.
    … And you can analyze this situation.
    To me, it's all just mental masturbation.

No Worries likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think there is at least some grain of truth to running KPJ out there as your head honcho being for the purpose of being bad and landing in the early lottery.

The other possibility, however slim, was KPJ balling out and having a large amount of trade value or being a star.

Stone had nothing to lose in giving KPJ opportunity .... He was going to profit either way.

I do believe that prior to KPJ #*&@ing up .... everything, he had some value in the league for Stone to extract in exchange for the investment the team made in him. But that one act #*&@ed up everything.

Plowman likes this.