1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Mccarthy kicked out as Speaker of house as congress becomes paralyzed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by astros123, Oct 3, 2023.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

Problem solvers has collapsed

dobro1229 likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What is exactly the gameplan? Like how is taking out your own party leader to force a government shutdown gonna net u a bigger majority with the upcoming election?

Some folks just want chaos for the Sake of it.

Sajan, ROCKSS, dobro1229 and 5 others like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

But can I watch him try and do it for like, 10 provisional days?

Everything is recorded? I think it would be hilarious. And then we can all get back to real business.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

According to CBS news Democrats were angered by an interview that McCarthy did in Face the Nation where he blamed Democrats for holding up the continuing resolution. That poisoned any chance that Democrats would save McCarthy.

dmoneybangbang and ROCKSS like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The gameplan was solely driven by Donald Trump who thinks the American voters are stupid and if there’s a shutdown/recession voters will blame Biden and be nostalgic to Trump. It’s that simple. Trump wanted a shutdown, McCarthy said no because he knew it would hurt their chances of keeping the House, and then Trump ordered Geatz to do what he does.

However all this does is hurt them and they end up in the same possible position.

-Scalise or someone like McCarthy will be elected, and it’ll be the same show. Different face.
    -Government shutdown is more likely that’ll hurt Republicans especially after this nonsense.

Trump might not be wrong that Americans are stupid but in the end strategically this whole episode was a double whammy.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

upload_2023-10-4_8-13-11.jpeg

ROCKSS and B-Bob like this.
  8. dobro1229

I would say it’s less about grievance for that and more about the evidence that proves he’ll renege on any deal he makes with them.

ROCKSS and rocketsjudoka like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes there is no reason for Democrats to trust McCarthy anymore than Republicans do.

astros123 and T_Man like this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I dont follow this nonsense much TBH.

Can someone explain to me why the democrats would help MAGA's (if they really are MAGA's) coup d'état McCarthy?

11. adoo

adoo Member

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The GOP controls the majority of congress. A united party wouldn't have lost the speakership.

It's a signal to independents that the GOP can't get it's **** together. The independent voter is the swing vote. Why would I vote for the GOP when they can't get anything done? I'm paying them to do a job. All they do is fight. GTFO outta here, you bums.

astros123 likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

14. dobro1229

Let me respond to your question with an obvious question.

Why the hell would Democrats vote for a Republican Speaker of the House? Would you expect Republicans to vote for a Democrat to be Speaker of the House?

Republicans were the ones that created the "Motion to Vacate" the Speakership. Not Democrats. Democrats should not be expected to vote for a Republican just as Republicans would never be expected by you to vote for a Democrat. It's like asking why you aren't attending Dallas Mavericks games when you are a season ticket holder for the Houston Rockets. The question is dumb, and obvious.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The way I see it is that one side uses terms like "invaders" to describe migrants looking for farm hand work and that type of vocabulary part of regular discourse for GOP affiliated people and voters. That small sliver of insight on vocabulary used on one side is emblematic of exactly why *both sides are the same" is just out of touch and dangerous. You have to be some privileged upper middle class suburban white kid to have the perspective that "both sides are the same".

It's more like one side wants to maintain the current systems and hierarchies but without ethnic tribalism and another side is trying to accomplish the same thing of maintaining the existing system but through ethnic tribalism. So no, both sides aren't the same because one side will condemn the existence of people like me in this country and the other side won't. It's that simple.

People like @TheresTheDagger who aren't as unhinged as guys like Commodore or ATW need to understand that when terms like "invaders" are used to describe basic migrants looking for low end wage work is common vocabulary for an entire political party, empathetic people simply can't ignore that emblematic symptom of deep rooted ethnic tribalism for one side.

ROCKSS, VooDooPope and astros123 like this.
  16. dobro1229

The double standard that Democrats have to coddle the Republicans is just astounding. Not one person in the media would even ask the question of whether a Republican would vote for a Democrat as Speaker of the House just to save Democrats from themselves. The media in this country is just so freaking broken, and stupid.

17. astros123

astros123 Member

Why are you blaming only the media? @Nook claims the democratic party today is the most useless party hes ever seen and its unfit to govern. Is the media making him say that or his laziness on googling what Democrats have accomplished the problem?

We can blame the media as much as we want but at some point we have to blame ourselves for being dumb and uneducated as well.

You have finally grown up. Good for you for finally seeing the difference between the parties

#97 astros123, Oct 4, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It is a double standard, but it's also that way because we all expect Democrats to be more of an adult in the room and be willing to work toward governing, whereas we have pretty much realized Republicans aren't interested.

Congressional Republicans are in complete disarray right now. After ousting their speaker, they shut down for 7 days. It seems they'll be spending the next 7 days figuring out who should now be Speaker. A normal majority party would already have candidates lined up and begun the voting process. Last time, it took 15 ballots to elect McCarthy. Who knows how many times it will take this time, but the ball is completely in the Republican court. The Democrats can do nothing but watch and wait.

Xopher and mdrowe00 like this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Because Christian Wood last year? :oops:

Also, who is Christian Wood in this Congressional context?

20. dobro1229

I've never got the sense that @Nook sees it that way, but maybe I missed something. It might just be a critical personality thing which is in line with how he's hard on the Rockets too even though we know he wants the team to do well. Nook can speak for himself here, but I'll just say personally I wouldn't put him in the category of uninformed Americans who box into lazy narratives.

I'll even add that to his point, I don't think the Dem party is unfit, or useless. There's alot of good they have done... however I do think it's worth the discussion of whether or not they are effective enough to save this country from the rise of autocracy, and corruption. I am a card carrying Democrat now, but even I'll admit that I don't think they have it in them to save this country from what is coming down the pipe.

It's not fair to ask the Democrats to save this country from itself, but unfortunately we are relying on them batting 1000 to win every election on the margins for the next 20 years in order to avoid a right wing autocratic takeover. It's not fair, but it's the truth. It's not going to get any easier to save Democracy, and I really don't know if the Democratic party alone has it in them. There needs to be a groundswell from the population AND coordination from the business world to stand up and fight for what we have. The Democrats, and Joe Biden aren't going to save us from ourselves as a mess of a country we can sometimes be.

I don't know if that's in-line with what @Nook was getting at or not, but that's how I feel that might be a bit more relatable to both of you.

mdrowe00, ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.