1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Dillon Brooks is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Salvy, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

Well yeah, not for you.... Brooks has been too good lately...

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

too good? lmao stop it

Dillon Brick could go to rico hines and hit 2 shots and you would nut over it

3. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

If anything, he showed that if he were to buy into his role, he would be quite good for us. That's a bug if tho, and i hope he does.

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

This is also predicted on him being the greatest shooter ever, which is what his numbers were in the tournament. If he just shot his normal awful percentages nobody would be saying anything. Don’t let a few lucky override years of data

5. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

He doesn't have to be the best shooter tho as long as can hit some of the few shots we want him taking, while giving us great defense. It's unreal to expect him to perform offensively at the level he did in the FIBA tournament.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I think it's going to suck having to watch Brooks for the next 3-4 years and fans are coping hardcore in this thread

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

He's gonna hog more shots than necessary. Expecting someone with an ego like him to take a back seat to a bunch of youngsters and b a team player? Ain't happening.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be fair, he is a good mentor off the court, but somehow he is a douche on the court, which does not make any sense but that is how things are.

9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Udoka has to know the future of this team's success is all about the young core. No way he lets DB have free reign. With this staff, think there will be a nice balance.

One month til the 1st preseason game.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that Udoka has no leverage over Brooks. If Brooks demands a larger role in the offense....like he did in Memphis, they can't just tell him to go away like Memphis did....the Rockets are stuck with him for his entire contract because he's completely untradeable and his contract is fully guaranteed.

If he manages to talk him into going along with a role he feels is beneath him, that's amazing....but I don't think we can assume that'll happen.

harold bingo and astrosrule like this.
  11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya i don't get this logic. Brooks has absolutely ZERO reason to do anything he doesn't want to do. If his contract had team options or something it would be one thing, but it doesn't. He will do what he wants, what does he care if he's benched? Makes no difference to his contract.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is no coincidence that both Brooks and Udoka signed 4 year contracts.

That is a big leap of faith not knowing what the Rockets are going to look like in 2-3 years from now.

For better or worse that is like the next Harden and Morey relationship.

Udoka has to see alot of his younger player self in Dillon otherwise I cannot understand it at all.

It could go right or it could fall apart.

#392 daywalker02, Sep 9, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What is the best case scenario? Is that that brooks sucks, get benched, and is just dead money but doesn't hold back Tari? Or that he stops shooting, and is a good defender who plays 20 mpg? Or that he stops shooting, is a great defender, but plays 35 minutes per game? All the massive contract does is validate that his feelings and his views are correct, and that everyone who's telling him to stop shooting is wrong. Nobody is getting a massive deal and thinking "wow i need to change my game, the game that just got me 86 mil gar"

MrButtocks and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He plays good D and shoots a decent percentage in 2 or his 4 years, that is the best I could think of.

A 27 year old mediocre player with Defense is in no scenario the perfect option when your best players are going to be the ones replacing him in the future.

I do not care how much Udoka has a man crush on that guy.

This is not FIBA World Cup otherwise Carmelo would still be playing.

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Well if he’s stretched after 2 years, it would be about 8 mil on the cap for 5 years. Not ideal, but probably better then giving up multiple firsts to dump the contract

16. dmoneybangbang

Best case scenario? Realistic best case scenario:

He's in talks for DPOY for the next several years while having ~7 FGA on average efficiency. I think folks are kidding themselves if they think Udoka wouldn't reign in Brooks offensively.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya if you think he’s playing 35 minutes and shooting 7 times…..I have a magic bridge to sell you

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In talks is okay, but it is the Hakeem trophy.

They have the usual candidates with a tons better records.

He is not quick enough to defend all type of attackers.

The Toronto Raptors had the 4th Best Defensive Rating last year, and nobody even got to the Top 3 of the DPOY ladder.

19. kpdark

kpdark Member

20. F0rtunates0n

F0rtunates0n Member

Brooks with 21 points at the half to lead Canada against USA.