1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dusty hates Chas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HeyBudLetsParty, Jun 23, 2023.

1. Jags

Jags Member

Not sure I can get on board with this.

Making pivotal organizational decisions based off what the media thinks is exactly why Luhnow isn’t still here running this dynasty. The media and all of baseball still hate us till this day, 6 years after the scandal. Yet, we’re still a well-oiled machine and Crane’s pockets are doing just fine. Don’t underestimate how important winning is. Like time, winning heals all wounds, and that is far more powerful than whatever the media decides to stir up.

Crane should do what’s best for the organization, period.

2. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

When you want to talk about the senile incompetence our (white) President mumbles and jumbles... is it a race thing or is it a: no, that MF dumb and old and he'd be better off with a drip bag... ok apply same reasoning to Dusty Baker.

So don't bait this into a race bit... age-- yeah, hell yes-- absolutely yes... there were times this year I swear that MF was sauced and/or didn't know what he was talking about-- and speaking of which... watch some of these post game pressers and notice when certain players' names are asked about / brought up, that idiot wants to deflect (NOT acknowledge) and talk about something else... so you wanna bring up race, then yeah-- call that MF a racist then and I'll bet we can get the media-wolves to salivate / chomp at that idea.... he doesn't strategically do ****. He gets to be a front-row raver-fan who gets to enjoy the game... thats about it.

Like I said on the platform teetering on the threshold of hell:
    McCormick has a roster spot here next year... Dusty, not so much. Crane/Brown/org aint gonna let this "retirement tour" have an extended year bc WS Champs or not... I will say this-- if he is, I am committed to boycotting and not giving 2 shiits about this organization next year. I don't care if they're defending champs or not... and thats what the entire city / local media needs to get on board with.

#202 InTheGroove, Sep 8, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah its how you can get 15K fans to a Savannah Bananas game, casual fans like entertainment and personalities. And owners know you have to attract casuals too. It doesnt mean you make team decisions based on fans, but it has to factor in a little bit

raining threes likes this.
  4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Dusty might be bad at baseball decisions. But that seems a LOT of resentment on a manager who isn't vulgar & obscene, isn't scandalous, not criminal, doesn't disrespect the fans and city. On a manager bold enough to take the job through actual cheating scandals. I didnt think old style lineup preferences alone is that much a turnoff

5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

A lot of pent up anger. Goes off the rails when racism is brought up, insisting it isn’t a thing. Randomly brings up “dumb and old” Biden. I think I know the type.

I hate - hate - many of Dusty’s decisions and I do think some of them are personal and arrogant. But he definitely seems to be a good human being and does represent the Astros well during a difficult time. It is possible to hate the decisions without hating the man.

For some people at least.

Shroopy2, Tomstro, Wulaw Horn and 2 others like this.
  6. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes, Chas IS a big boy, **** Duster

Tomstro likes this.
  7. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Duster should embrace Chas. Welcome him into the Big Boy Club. After all, without that catch, Duster very likely doesn't have that ring. His only ring.

Kim, everyday eddie, 13 in 33 and 2 others like this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

If Dusty is Doc Rivers, Chas is his Ben Simmons...

...but with heart.

Stephen66 and IBTL like this.
  9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. I really don't understand you it. Look, I don't love Chandler Rome but I think he at least has the balls to say what he says and sheds some light on dumbass things Dusty does that every fan with a brain realizes.

marks0223, Tomstro, Pringles and 2 others like this.
  10. Qan

Qan Member

Fans should be thankful there's a Chandler Rome that's willing to question and bring up these type of issues, instead of just writing fluff pieces. Houston media is already known for being soft, but I think a lot of that is directly due to the type of fans we have here.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Houston media, especially Pancakes, is more concerned about the food spread in the media room than doing their job.

ryan_98, Kim, marks0223 and 3 others like this.
  12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Dusty’s mentor was Hank Aaron. We all know how that ugly racism was. He grew up and came up in an era of segregation and played in some unenlightened places. He’s a creature of another age in so many ways, and one of them involves race (there’s way more about baseball decisions that’s changed than racial relations btw and think that’s most of what drives him). we are all the sum total of our environment, experiences and the like and to divorce a man from his context that he lived in is odd.
    This isn’t really directed to you or anyone else in particular but human decision making is pretty complex, who knows all the things that drive any persons decision making.
    I think mostly Dusty is just an old dude that’s set in his ways (as most old people are) and he’s a creature of the 80’s when it comes to decision making and what wins baseball games.
    To your point that doesn’t make him a bad dude, but it also should disqualify him from making important strategic decisions involving the team and organization.
    I don’t think race has anything to do with Chas (he loved straw and likes Meyers) I think Dusty just has a type that he prefers in certain positions and that’s a glove first athlete defender, and doesn’t see Chas or Yainer that way. He is empirically wrong, but to ascribe it to racism is totally off base.

13. Radricky

Radricky Member

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thank you RoFLo. I know you float around here somewhere.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Exactly. Just because you are horrible at your job, that doesn't mean you’re a bad person.

Doing this to Chas might make you kinda bad though.

InTheGroove, Kim, roxallways and 2 others like this.
  16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

17. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

johnnie baker prolly can't wait for Chas to struggle so he can be right.

smh.

here's johnnie's standard for chas to be considered every day player. Ohtani's level. Chas was playing out of his mind in July and was in contention for player of the month. That was the only time where he was in the lineup consistently.

Stephen66 likes this.
  18. SuraGotMadHops

We've always wondered the reasons for why Chas hasn't been crowned the everyday CFer, because it never made sense. Now we have heard the so-called reasons ("not one of the big boys yet," possibly weight) and now it has been confirmed it doesn't make sense, because neither of those explanations are valid. The only thing left is its personal, and that is bad managing. A manager should not let personal feelings get in the way of harming the team on the field. As far as I know the guy does everything he is supposed to do as far as practice and preparation.

Chas earned his "big boy" stripes when he was clutch as hell in the playoffs last year, and is putting up All Star numbers this year. It has been more than earned. Dusty is just being a stubborn a-hole.

marks0223, Kim, Scarface281 and 9 others like this.
  19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

So true. All of it.

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I hate Dusty's decisions and want to see more of Chas and Diaz.

I firmly believe this team would have about 5 more wins if Maldy were limited to 25% starts and Chas was given CF and started there or LF as often as the "big boys".

That said, Dusty's job is to bring Jim Crane another World Series and if he does that:

1) He will be welcomed back in 2024 with open arms

2) His lineup decisions will become justified. In some minds, he would have kept some players healthy and fresh, not overexposed others to allow for slumps, and gave others the perfect slow low pressure schedule to grow and develop. AND AS A WORLD SERIES WINNING STRATEGY NONE OF US COULD PROVE IT WAS WRONG.

3) Scoreboard - it would have worked whether it was ideal or right. What's best for the player isn't always what's best for the team. The best decisions aren't aways the ones that result in wins.

We only have a legitimate gripe against Dusty if they dont win and so far they are.

And I hate it !!

#220 IdStrosfan, Sep 8, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
    InTheGroove and Scarface281 like this.