1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. raining threes

He operates as well from the pocket as well as outside the pocket. Teams get in trouble when QB's rely on getting out of the pocket to make big plays.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

People are saying there are 10 QBs that could be 1st rounders next year lmao

Fulgore likes this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Yahoo and Fantasypros have Stroud ranked as the 31st best QB this week. ESPN's rankings only go to the top 25, which Stroud is not in.

Means nothing, other than to illustrate the difference between the mood on this board versus the perception from the rest of the NFL fanbase.

4. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Looks like the mood on the board is that the offensive line is gonna get steamrolled. Pretty much lines up with that ranking.

Two Sandwiches and Verbal Christ like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Off platform plays are life in the NFL. It typically is the difference between winning and losing.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Did you read about Caleb Williams father saying that Caleb would go back for his senior year if he doesnt like the situation with the team(s) picking at the top? Wild.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

It's especially troubling when the season in front of him - not the NFL - has just started.

Oh and also, there are about 4 quarterbacks that could conceivably jump him with a great year this year. Something tells me Williams could go back to school if he's not quarterback one, and is worried that he might not be, and this is just to preempt that narrative.

Either way, sounds like a diva in a situation where he shouldn't have grounds to be a diva. It will be interesting to see if more and more of this happens with that NIL money in play now. I bet it does.

8. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

He said he could not would. After reading all of it, it sounded more like they just don’t think the worst teams should have the best picks in general because it hurts young QBs chances of succeeding. If the system wasn’t like this though, bad teams would have little hope of ever getting better.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I used to think Mahomes creative throwing style (the throwing from all angles thing) was just a unique skillset that he had and likely wouldn't be replicated in most NFL QBs. But after watching that Netflix documentary Quarterbacks, he has a trainer (outside of the Chiefs) who specifically focuses on that type of flexibility so he can be successful throwing in all sorts of situations. Doesn't really affect the ability to see those throws and make decisions, but I thought that was pretty intriguing and I wonder how many other QBs in the league do something similar, or will try after that documentary.

raining threes likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Assuming that’s Arizona, crazy

Verbal Christ and raining threes like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The best guys in the league are all capable of changing arm angles and throwing off platform.
    Rodgers was one of the first to do it.
    But Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Burrow all do it. Along with Murray, Lawrence, Herbert, Lamar and others

Verbal Christ and raining threes like this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Not all those QBs would come out then. There will not be 10 teams looking for 1st round QBs.

I doubt there would be 10 anyway.

13. raining threes

How many off platform plays did Brady, Manning make. How many do Rodgers and Burrow make? Yes you have to have mobility, but not the off platform plays that Watson lives off of.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Rodgers and Burrow do it frequently. Rodgers was one of the first guys to constantly change arm angles

15. raining threes

Agreed, but they make most of their plays from the pocket, or on designed roll outs.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think the point is, the more you offer the greater the potential.
    I agree with you that pocket passing and traditional arm talent is priority number one. But the guys that combine that with the ability to make plays outside of structure are the truly elites.
    Hell, even Brady did it to a certain extent. It was inside pocket but he was a master of buying time inside the pocket

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Not saying it would happen. But I was talking about some of these studs falling off a cliff a la Spencer rattler before we had the top pick next year having gotten Will Anderson 2nd and not drafted Stroud.

but can you imagine we went that way and the QB we wanted said “nah, I’m goin back to school or y’all can trade me”
    Would be absolutely wild.. yes, yes, I know we could just draft one of the other 9 top tier, first round, QBs of the best qb class to ever graduate… but still. Just crazy how plan can go awry like that.

Two Sandwiches and Verbal Christ like this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s really not hyperbole to say this might be the deepest draft of top tier QBs in the last 30 yrs. Even without Williams

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I agree with that, but as far as the guys in this class go, I’d rather the one with the accuracy be taught to run and combine that way than the guy who can run taught to hit the broadside of a barn.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s fair. But you still have to have the coordination and ability to make plays off platform. That’s not something you can teach easily

Verbal Christ and houstonstime like this.