1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Trading Sengun? Stop me if you've heard me talk about this one. We're talking #Rockets LIVE right now ...

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I'm on the other isle of CJ's athletic ability. Let me ask you this, because from your previous post, you seem to articulate and comprehend well. If a player is known to be inaccurate but all of a sudden he has a breakout game, where he completes 70% plus of his passses verses another player who rarely rushes and he has a breakout game and rush for 100 yds.

Which player is most likely to duplicate their breakout occurrence?

I would say the player who rushes, because rushing/athletic ability is not taught, accuracy is. Its either you have it or you don’t....its just a matter of using it.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I'm on the other isle of CJ's athletic ability. Let me ask you this, because from your previous post, you seem to articulate and comprehend well. If a player is known to be inaccurate but all of a sudden he has a breakout game, where he completes 70% plus of his passses verses another player who rarely rushes and he has a breakout game and rush for 100 yds.

Which player is most likely to duplicate their breakout occurrence?

I would say the player who rushes, because rushing/athletic ability is not taught, accuracy is. Its either you have it or you don’t....its just a matter of using it.

3. Qan

Qan Member

Yo, what's y'all CJ's stat prediction for this weekend?

4. Dredd

Dredd Member

7-18 = 94 yards passing, 2 int, 0 tds

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

18/28
    207 yards
    1 touchdown
    1 INT

javal_lon, primtim24 and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

15-23 = 165 yards 1 TD and 1 INT

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Mahomes is a very interesting case because he's not an elite athlete by any means, but he is quite agile and very creative, as well as having the arm talent to throw from anywhere. He's definitely not a pocket QB and I'd even say his playstyle isn't really something that most can or should strive to emulate.

cmoak1982 and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its a catch 22. A guy who rushed for a sum total of 126 yards in his entire college career having a game where he really only rushed for 34 yards against Georgia albeit perfectly timed runs doesnt all of a sudden mean he is going to trigger audibles by the defense who think he will run. Like I've stated recently I dont need CJ to be the threat that AR15 is as long as he is timely with his runs. CJ is not a statue he can move a little bit and give himself extra time and move the sticks, but he isnt going to require a segment in pre game meetings about how he can hurt you with his legs.

AR15 is a dichotomy because he has all the tools in the world to be spectacular and he shows it at times. He wasnt gifted great coaching like CJ and the entire playbook was suspect at Florida, but he was still able to shine in his own way. That type of pure athleticism and size are rare. Will NFL coaches be able to instruct, nurture and help him become the best passer he can be? Nobody knows yet, but you can line him up with two RBs in the backfield and completely F up a defensive gameplan with his ability to hit the crease or bust you up with pop passing from the RPO.

I've been watching CJ for a while. Hell me and @cmoak1982 used to get pretty spirited when discussing CJ and Quin Ewers while they were both at OSU. I was really REALLY on the CJ Stroud bandwagon a few years ago. Since then I"ve seen how a capable running QB can just trash a defense. I dont think CJ can impact a defensive game plan the same way AR15 can, but I 100% believe that we can win critical games with CJ Stroud as the QB we just need some more talent to throw to. Hope that wasnt too long winded and answered your question.

bigdaddy, Omihall23 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I admire that you're willing to take on an entire forum even if they all have a differing opinion to yours. Educated conviction is becoming more and more rare these days.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Mahomes is the best on the run thrower I've ever seen. Its just dumb the way he can just skip around while all hell breaks loose around him and get the ball out somehow someway. He isnt an athletic freak, but he can hurt you because he's so instinctive and knows exactly when he should run. I think CJ can do SOME of that particularly being decisive at the snap by noticing the defense and understanding he can probably get the first down if he doesnt hesitate and gets to the sticks.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

255 yds 2 tds and a fumble loss. Nico and Dalton catch the tds.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol. Pretty specific. See if there’s a parlay you can hit

houstonstime likes this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Good analysis. I also think the Texans can win with CJ both in the interim and long term. A QB can last longer with his arm than his legs. I just overheard Lamar Jackson state that he's excited to be able to effect the game more by passing, which will extend his career.

However, a QB has to be able to be mobile as well, to be able to extend plays and keep defenses on their heels.

Sooty and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

To me, it depends on how well the O-line plays. If CJ has time, I think he can have a 200+ yd, 2 TD game

houstonstime likes this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

To me, it depends on how well the O-line plays. If CJ has time, I think he can have a 200+ yd, 2 TD game

Fulgore likes this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

20-32 165 yards 1 TD 2 int and one great big whiny tantrum from Texans fans that think we should have tanked again this year for a quarterback that is already proving to be a diva.

Before Sunday, let's all just pledge to relaaaaax and enjoy this ride for what it is - largely a developmental season.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m going to cut him slack. Still pissed we didn’t wait

Verbal Christ, Sooty and houstonstime like this.
  18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Hoping for at least 275 and 2 TDs.. but imma say >200yds 1 TD/2 iNTs

19. Dredd

Dredd Member

Ravens are disciplined. This is not a good first matchup for Stroud, he will get pressured a lot! He will make mistakes.

Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. raining threes

He operates as well from the pocket as well as outside the pocket. Teams get in trouble when QB's rely on getting out of the pocket to make big plays.