1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. raining threes

Lets see if he can do this under pressure when his team isn't as talented as the team he's playing against. Time will tell if he can adjust to the NFL game.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Look at the Yards per Attempt. That is the other component. Stroud threw more down the field and still had a better completion percentage. 9.5 vs 8.5 last season. The adjusted is 10.9 vs 8.3.

Omihall23 likes this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Look at the Yards per Attempt. That is the other component. Stroud threw more down the field and still had a
    Isn't that every QB? lol.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Box score watching is a disease that needs to be eradicated in discussions.. I didn't see NC so I can't speak on Maye, though my intent is there because my guy @cmoak1982 talking big **** about him lol...
    I saw some good QB play from some guys though.. Sanders definitely is Pro ready, though I wouldn't call him a franchise type QB yet.. Ewers, my preseason Heisman pick, pissed me off too much yesterday.. Loved watching the Jordan Travis kid but he's too erratic with his playmaking .. I gotta check out the Cincinnati kid and Penix Jr more.. Not a fan of Caleb but I know the boy super talented so I digress.. Can care less about the Bo Nixes of the NCAA because we see folks like him every damn year . All in all, not a damn thing to complain about thus far IMO

Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. raining threes

True, but his history of performing well when teams are equally talented and he has to make plays in a muddy pocket isn't good. Good news is if Purdy can do it then Stroud certainly has the ability to be successful.

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's only natural if a person is playing with lesser talent, his numbers will go down. Thats with any great player, LeBron, Kobe, Brady, etc., etc.

You're only as good as the talent that surrounds you.

raining threes likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not true. The true greats elevate others.
    Elite QBs make average receivers better.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I’m not disagreeing but can we get some examples? Other than Brady, because no one is Brady.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Peyton

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

One of the reasons the greatest of our generation, Tom Brady, left New England was because they were not putting more talent around him. He didnt have any receivers. Same for Rodgers.

I know thats what the narrative will be if CJ does not have a successful season, is that he's NOT making others around him better but it takes talent on both sides.

#170 hlmbasketball, Sep 4, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s not what the narrative will be. It’s my opinion in general. I think he can be an upper tier game manager like Dak/Cousins/Carr. I don’t think he has Brady/Rodgers/Mahomes ability to make others around him better or put a team on his back

sydmill and raining threes like this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Rodgers cried about WR help for yrs, Mahommes isn't the same w/o Kelsie, and go back and look at why Brady left N. E for Tampa. Tampa had weapons!

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure what your point is.
    They still were elite without elite receivers.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Being that this is CJ's rookie yr with a rookie head coach, rookie OC and rookie and first yr WRs, what is your expectations for him?

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Being that this is CJ's rookie yr with a rookie head coach, rookie OC and rookie and first yr WRs, what is your expectations for him?

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

My point is, as I first stated 15 mins ago, YOU ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR SURROUNDINGS

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Expectation or what id like to see?
    Expectation isn’t great, I expect him to struggle under pressure and be confused more often than not.

What id like to see? Be on time, accurate, be able to show at least some improvisational skills and off platform throws. Show signs of being worthy of the number 2 overall pick and forcing a massive trade for the 3.

If he is 3700 yds, 23/13 TD/Int 65% comp with some solid games I’d say it’s a success

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And that isn’t true. The elite guys make the team around them better.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And these also sound like built in excuses. No one gave Mills those excuses.

20. raining threes

Quoted for truth

I'm going to hold Stroud to the same standard as Mills was held too. Despite Stroud having a better ol by week 4 and better weapons around Stroud. I'm mean Moore was Mills WR1 for a lot of last year. SMH, it looks like some are setting up a narrative that if Stroud isn't successful it will be somebody else's fault and Mills wasn't given that leeway.

Wonder why fans are already setting up this double standard if Stroud fails?

cmoak1982 likes this.