1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's a matter of Bidenomics!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Jun 28, 2023.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

2021 2022 2023 and on pace to be strongest business formation years in modern history and its not even close. Much more stronger business creation than bankruptcy

You're not really good at debating your points

2. dmoneybangbang

Money is no longer free or cheap.

"When the tide rolls out, you discover who has been swimming naked".

No Worries likes this.
  3. astros123

astros123 Member

Biggest pro union decision in 5 decades......

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. astros123

astros123 Member

Aren't you kind of old to be trolling at this age?

7. adoo

adoo Member

Here are the 10 drugs that will be up first for Medicare price negotiation

Medicare on Tuesday announced it will negotiate prices for 10 drugs, including major blood thinners and diabetes medications, in the first round of its negotiation program created in The Inflation Reduction Act

The new prices will be announced on Sept. 1, 2024, and will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2026. The drugs were chosen from a list of 50 treatments that cost Medicare’s pharmacy drug benefit the most money.
    The negotiation program’s first tranche of drugs is starting with 10 drugs that patients can pick up at the pharmacy counter. The agency will negotiate an additional 15 Part D drugs in 2027,
    another 15 Part D and Part B drugs for 2028, and another 20 Part D and Part B drugs for 2029 and onward.

The minimum discounts Medicare will negotiate for each drug will range from 25% off a drug’s list price to 60%, depending on how long it’s been on the market.

Several of the companies that make the medicines selected for the negotiation program have sued the Biden administration in courts across the country, claiming the program is unconstitutional, including Merck, Bristol Myers Squibb,
    Boehringer Ingelheim, Johnson & Johnson, and AstraZeneca. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce requested a preliminary injunction, which would immediately stop the law’s implementation.

“For far too long, pharmaceutical companies have made record profits while American families were saddled with record prices and unable to afford life-saving prescription drugs,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra.
    “Although drug companies are attempting to block Medicare from being able to negotiate for better drug prices, we will not be deterred.”​

astros123 likes this.
  8. astros123

astros123 Member

Out of every 400 dollars the government spends they spend 1 dollar on Eliqus. Yes the government spends almost. 005% of its entire budget on *one drug.*

The reason why vivek is a low life scumbag is because he's part of the problem that feeds off sick poor patients. Pharma bros like vivek are exactly the reason why this country is so sick. @AroundTheWorld

Amiga likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

The philosophy and goals sound pretty good, not sure if the action is there to make significant impacts, will be interesting to watch the stats over the years to see if #Bidenomics delivers

Hey while I got you reading, what do you think about unionship Os?

astros123 likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

unionship like labor unions?

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah, I saw it was highlighted in that video with "support unions", and that reminded me during the Repub debate the other night, the entire panel spoke of unions as a devil of sorts - unions across the board but they specified teacher unions a number of times.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

big, complicated subject. A few comments.

Unions are different than collective bargaining--related, but not the same. I think Biden would have been been better to say he supports collective bargaining efforts. It's hard to think of anyone who would argue collective bargaining is a bad thing.

Unions are (or become over time) a sociological institution. As such they have all the problems of large organizations, including inefficiencies and sometimes evolving a mission that aims primarily at self-perpetuation rather than the stated mission. Teachers' unions are sometimes an example of that--the unions care more about the teachers than the teaching.

Unions need to be evaluated and judged on a case-by-case mission. Historically, unions in fields like mining helped advance the cause of worker safety and improved working conditions. In other cases unions have helped hasten the decline or demise of entire industries: the 1970s and 80s U.S. auto industry might be an example.

Unions can also push employees who might not otherwise want to join a union into membership. Starbucks is an example of a business who, when faced with what they perceive to be undue pressure from unions, shuts stores down--and employees lose their jobs. Again, this all needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case, industry-by-industry basis.

Unions in certain industries can (arguably) push wages and benefits too high. It's been reported that the new UPS contract may result in UPS drivers making $170k/year in wages and benefits. I've got nothing against UPS drivers, but that's more than most college professors make--and public school teachers. Unions can thus help perpetuate inequalities in society.

Unions can also be the devil you speak of in very definite and specific ways: think of the closing of ranks around corrupt and abusive police officers that we've seen over the past 20-30 years. Unions in these situations become very nearly a force for evil rather than the force of good they are portrayed to be.

I can also say that having been married to an employment attorney with 35+ years' experience, I have seen the cases where it seems unions are more concerned with gaming the system and protecting bad employees than they are with much of anything else. Here again unions can become a drag on an institution and operate according to their own agendas in direct opposition to the main institution's mission. Dining hall workers, residence hall staff, and maintenance workers--not to mention the skilled trades like plumbers, electricians and the like--hold the university hostage at times. This obviously creates inefficiencies and increases costs that are then passed back on to students, who then pass those costs on to society when their student loans get forgiven by executive order. :cool:

had to squeeze that last one in for woke123

Anyway. Like I said, it's a complicated area, and not my subject. A local university I know of has an entire School of Industrial and Labor Relations. ;)

basso and ThatBoyNick like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Good read, thanks for posting

On the point of collective bargaining, it's interesting to see the US is down to 11% coverage now, which is very different from much of western/northern Europe + Australia which looks to have on average over 2/3rds coverage for their working populations.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. astros123

astros123 Member

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy1706

The treasury department relased a very detailed report on the impacts of unions yesterday Take a glance sometime its a really detailed report. Its a really good read and really shows the positive impact of unions. On average workers saw a 20-25% increase in wages, more days off, earlier retirement, better health benefits, etc. Dont listen to the right wing tools that tell you unions somehow hurt efficiency

15. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

UPS drivers are more valuable to society than college professors.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

actually, I agree with this statement. But now we are getting into the "defense of inequality" subject.

James Harden makes $35+ million/year. It is difficult to say that he is more valuable to society than UPS drivers.

basso and ThatBoyNick like this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Education takes a back seat; consumerism is key to humanity.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't think that's a fair summarization of his post, he said its on a case-by-case basis per industry, that there are positives and negatives, seems like a reasonable take, I'm not taking it for sole gospel but I appreciate it.

And him calling you woke and you calling him a right-wing tool is silly, put your cocks away fellas they're both plenty big, okay.

I don't see why one couldn't see the benefits unions can bring workers and understand the potential risks for efficiency at the same time. I've been trying to follow economics/political situations across developed countries for a decade now, and I think how unions are handled in say Norway is quite a bit different from France when it comes to focus on efficiency, I like unions, I like collective bargaining, execution is still extremely important, and blanket statements are tough here.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If they don't know you're a self-hating academician by now it's like they're trying not to read your post.

basso and Os Trigonum like this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

More important than SOME professors, not all.