1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green vs Ant Edwards - who will be the better combo/sg when all is said and done

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Aug 22, 2023.

?

combo/sg of the future

1. Jalen Green

42 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Anthony Edwards

114 vote(s)
    71.7%
  3. others

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. mightybosstone

I don't know where that one Twitter user got Jalen's TS% from, but it's nowhere close to 59.9% at 53.8%.

Personally, I think it's way too early to be calling Edwards a superstar, and I think he's getting pretty dramatically overrated by the media. But I also think Jalen's got a ways to go to get to Ant's level. Neither guy is efficient enough, versatile enough or elite enough in any one area to be close to superstar level at this point. But both guys have the skills and capacity to get there.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Can Jalen lead a team to something other than the worst record in the league first?

kingjosh and Corrosion like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well said, we should raise the bar, raise the standards.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The blue check is a warning

MadMax likes this.
  5. anchel

anchel Member

Edwards is stronger, longer, has a lower center of gravity and better shooting mechanics. He's as well a great athlete.
    I don't know what are Jalen's advantages, maybe the pure height, he may have an even quicker first step. Maybe more creativity, too.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can Ant Edwards if he was on the Rockets?

RichieBanks223 and Dredd like this.
  7. fchowd0311

I don't think Ant has the better shooting mechanics. Ant might have the better initial load up as Green does that weird cross body load up but Ant has a much more obvious two motion shot while Green's shot is a more fluid single motion

Williamson likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

upload_2023-8-22_14-5-38.png

[​IMG]

9. MystikArkitect

Going based off of both physical and natural gifts I think it's Green by quite a bit. Edwards is a little like Cam. Explosive,thick but a little awkward and doesn't have a smooth natural motion when he does anything. He's also not as gifted of a scorer as Green is.

Having watched both this offseason and how their offense *looks*....I don't even think they're comparable. The issue with Green as always is between the ears and defensively. But he is a far superior SG scoring prospect than Edwards is who right now looks like he could be the second best player on a contender if everything pans out for him. Now if everything goes wrong and they don't develop then I'll take Ant because at least he's a serviceable defender.

For what it's worth Team USA would be a lot better if you swapped Jalen Brunson/Anthony Edwards for Jalen Green and Cade Cunningham.

Stephen_A likes this.
  10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

How is the tweet with the blatantly wrong TS% still up? It's making Rockets fans look bad. Ant is really good and I think Jalen can get to that level but it's gonna take a lot of work and I'm not just gonna pencil that improvement in for him for free.

11. fchowd0311

I think you might be underselling Ant a bit here.

I think Ant is significantly stronger than Green while having like 90-95% of Green's fluidity and lateral shiftiness. Cam is strong like Ant but isn't in that same tier of quickness and agility as the other two.

Ant has the talent to have a better career than Green and the vise versa is true also. From here on out it depends on work ethic and team situation with who will have better careers.

#31 fchowd0311, Aug 22, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Who will be better between Jalen Green and Anthony Edwards?

"others"

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

Stephen_A likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean probably. Edwards is a better scorer and defender thus far.

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

1) M Jordan

Kobe

Jalen Green

Anthony Edwards (better Oladipo)
    Booker / Beal / Lavine

D Wade (good in his era....falls here if he played today....gotta be able to shoot)
    Ja Morant
    Giddy
    KPj
    Cade Cunningham
    Haliburton

16. fchowd0311

How do you know these things and can't attribute things like efficiency to better spacing and pg play?

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No need to take offense to such a statement. It's just obvious. The stats and eye test both show it. I think Jalen will improve but he's not better than Edwards at the moment by any objective measure. It's okay to say it. Jalen will be a great player in time.

18. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

To demonstrate how big of a gap that is, 59.9 TS% would be the efficiency of De'Aaron Fox (59.9% TS) and Booker (60.1% TS).

53.8% would be efficiency of Westbrook (53.7%), Marcus Smart, (53.8%) and FVV (54%). It's HUGE difference.

meh likes this.
  19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Stephen_A likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

meh likes this.