1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Ted Lasso Best show on TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Sep 1, 2020.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, the scene where Rebecca gives the speech to all the owners and mentions Rupert's back story was probably the best scene of the season in my opinion. It's kind of inexplicable that they just went the completely irredeemable super villain route after that.

clos4life likes this.
  2. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh god. Don't summon them to this thread. We'll get a The Last of Us redux.

#362 gifford1967, Jun 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

My parents told me they had never seen a non action show with so many f bombs, but it still manages to be wholesome despite all that.

4. Frank_Duhon

Frank_Duhon Member

Have them watch Glengarry Glen Ross

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Also Good Will Hunting

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Coincendetly, this is how most of europe/UK views "profanity". Its just slang/part of the dialect and nobody pays much attention to its regular use, even in professional settings.

Maybe the US will one day get there when they reach the age of these ancient societies...

clos4life likes this.
  7. clos4life

clos4life Member

European countries curse like sailors in all types of environments, low class or high class. Everyday part of the language just about.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep. Considering they invented the language... I guess they just have more experience with how/when to use it.

America still quite puritan in many ways compared to the older countries... yet we're still considered to be the more progressive, "west", "liberal", "unrefined" of the cultures.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Both continents could learn some things from each other. Getting everyone to agree on what those are is the tricky one lol.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It was really a consistently excellent show throughout its short run.

If I had to pick low points this season it would be:
    1. Nate and his gf. Generally I don’t care much about Nate as a character and his gf was quite a weird choice or personality.
    2. Rebecca randomly falling off a bridge getting rescued by a guy living in a houseboat, etc. that was pretty odd… but otherwise I’m fine with the Rebecca character.
    3. Kaylie’s story arc with the lesbian venture capitalist thing. It’s not an anti-lesbian thing. I love lesbians!! just it was super boring. Though her CFO turned into a mildly amusing personality.

that said… everything and anything involving or surrounding everyone else … was just gold. Top of the top stuff.

they should do a spin-off/continuation called F**K with Roy Kent as the main character.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Office was OK after Michael Scott left... there was some potential there but obviously the network TV model of having to churn out 20+ episodes really diluted a lot.

Trying to think of other ensemble cast shows that had decent success after the main character left. I guess Shameless was fine after Fiona left.

Can't think of many others... so the office would be the model if they want to continue on with the rest of the cast, with the expectation that new additions will come in here/there and possibly one more cameo for Ted (as Steve Carrell did).

Or they could just end it as they did...

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Succession?

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People all around the world swear all the time but my understanding of British culture is there are some words that should not be used in polite society. “Cant” but with a “u” instead is one that crops up in Ted Lasso but I’ve been told is about the worst thing you can say to a Brit.

One thing I noticed in Ted Lasso is they almost never say “f@g” or “f@ggot” even though that is widely accepted Brit and Aussie slang for a cigarette but also derogatory for gay men. If I recall right it was used derisively towards one of the players and they were so upset by it thst they only referred to it as the “F” word.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I felt the Nate being turned around but the love of a good women was too cliche. Also while the actor was very easy on the eyes I just didn’t feel much chemistry between her and Nate and she didn’t really seem developed as a character.

The Keeley romance with her boss also felt kind of flat. The actor who played her boss is great in For All Mankind but just didn’t seem to be that interesting in this role.

15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The way the show handled life changing sports money really stretched disbelief. Ted living in that corporate apartment meant the 2-5M contract he signed for a low tier 1 english soccer team went all to the bank. They even abstracted most of the players personal lives to humanize them more with the audience.

I can see (but didn't like) nasty Nate's S2 turn because it's believable he's angry that a bumpkin like Lasso made bank and took credit for Nate's Xs and Os. Which makes the whole fallout between nate and rupert so cheap that it happened off screen.

The silver hair reveal at at the end of S2 fooled the audience into thinking Nate was ready to become Pat Riley and take over with both flash and substance, but the wanker didn't even spend any of that money he got for coaching. Like i get being a cheap ass for driving the same beater car, but he didn't even buy his parents a new house to win the validation his daddy withheld. You think that tightass asian dad wouldnt start changing his tune and heaping praises inside the two story 5 bedroom house his son bought for him?

Nah, instead the writers poured nutrisweet into his blah arc by bringing in Jade who "really saw him" despite the awkward cringey early episodes of them at the restaurant. she didn't notice him because he somehow grew a pair or anything remotely resembling comfidence or stature. Nah, it was due to the HC position he threw away offscreen because he couldnt make any friends at work.

If it were halfway decent, the writers should've made fleshed out nates story about money and status better and him not needing his parents approval to do whatever he wanted. Even if it meant sniffing sweaty jocks at 1/100th the salary of his last job ...Uhh Jade? I absolutely LOVE leftover falafels for breakfast, lunch, and dinner... can you bring some back from work?

clos4life likes this.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Finally finished it.

I might have said this already in the thread. But I normally HATE shows like this. Feel good stuff. Positive character development. People learning lessons, coming together...

I enjoy the OPPOSITE. Seinfeld, Game of Thrones, It's Always Sunny. I like unlikable characters, terrible people, no-lessons-learned.

If you described Lasso to me I'd be like... another formulaic feel good show, same category as a... Modern Family.

BUTTTT - like everyone else I love this show.

It's so FEEL-GOOD I forget they can say ****. Then you hear someone say **** and it's jarring (but funny).

Anyways.... about 3-5 episodes in, I would have guessed this season was heading towards a mental health awareness angle - where Ted eventually commits suicide. A Robin Williams type death - where he brings joy to everyone but cant save himself. That did NOT happen but... could have been coo.

MadMax and B-Bob like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I just watched Season 3 again, at least the last 4 episodes, and it brings me to tears every single time.

There are so few times in life where you find a team or a group that is completely together, when they have a dinner after fixing up Sam's place, you just see the comraderie, and how they all support Collin - this show is magic.

I want a spin off. Really want to see more of all these characters lives and story arcs. But I am guessing the writers strike will not allow it, I just can't see Apple TV not at least doing a spin off.

DD

IBTL likes this.
  19. Sajan

Sajan Member

lol, it's good but damn dude. Maybe go outside?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

LOL - I am sure you guys have been part of a team before, and when you have that special spark of chemistry you create magic, whether it is in sports, or work, or in my case video games - and it is also very rare.....

It is to be cherished, the writing on this show is magic, the line where Ted says "Ain't a lot of places like AFC Richmond either" really hits - you can see the way they accepted Trent, and how he is now part of the squad.......

Just the best written show on TV in a long long time.

DD