1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Guardians @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 31, 2023.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

the sarcasm went right over your head bud. Like a mile above

jayfree likes this.
  2. jayfree

jayfree Member

I would think the wink at the end of my comment would give this away as not being serious. *sigh*

3. Nook

Nook Member

He was an ******* according to the people that worked for the Astros.

He was brought in and told to fit in with the people already in the organization and he did the exact opposite.

He tried to get rid of everyone that had a relationship with the owner of the team - and even eventually pushed out Goldstein who was a huge part of the teams success.

He was also vetoed on a number of dumb things he wanted to do, and he used his assistant GM to spy and take notes on people.

What Click wanted was to come to a team where he could redo the entire culture and do everything the way he wanted - which would be fine but when he was interviewed, he was told he would be expected to do the opposite.

He also butchered the trade deadline as well.

His strategic calls last year actually largely proved to not be effective (although I think a lot of that was just bad luck).

If I had a team rebuilding, I would hire him - he did some things very well like not trade away the young pitching Luhnow brought aboard.

I think he can be a good GM but he was a really bad fit in Houston

4. Nook

Nook Member

He was an ******* according to the people that worked for the Astros.

He was brought in and told to fit in with the people already in the organization and he did the exact opposite.

He tried to get rid of everyone that had a relationship with the owner of the team - and even eventually pushed out Goldstein who was a huge part of the teams success.

He was also vetoed on a number of dumb things he wanted to do, and he used his assistant GM to spy and take notes on people.

What Click wanted was to come to a team where he could redo the entire culture and do everything the way he wanted - which would be fine but when he was interviewed, he was told he would be expected to do the opposite.

He also butchered the trade deadline as well.

His strategic calls last year actually largely proved to not be effective (although I think a lot of that was just bad luck).

If I had a team rebuilding, I would hire him - he did some things very well like not trade away the young pitching Luhnow brought aboard.

I think he can be a good GM but he was a really bad fit in Houston

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

I can see us trading anyone not named Verlander, Valdez, and Javier.

I think we need to transition McCullers into the bullpen if that'll allow him to pitch entire seasons consistently, but I'm not sure if there's any data to back my assumption.

6. Nook

Nook Member

A big part of the reason that Dusty Baker plays Maldonado so often is because the pitchers want to pitch to him. They ask for him to catch them and they praise him.

IBTL, joshuaao, Dgn1 and 2 others like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

its pretty obvious there's a intangible preference and respect that this is the case for anyone that follows this team on a regular basis

Dgn1 and Nook like this.
  8. jayfree

jayfree Member

Don't forget how he can frame a wild pitch thrown behind a batter to make it look like a strike.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt there is a GM besides Click during that time that all of the following would all be Astros right now: Framber, Javier, Garcia, Pena, Chas, Meyers, Diaz, and Brown. I doubt if those guys were traded (or not acquired), the Astros would be in as good a position as they are today.

Nook likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

It is interesting - the best thing the Click did, was to do nothing.

He deserves credit for not panicking and trading the Astros younger pitchers when a lot of GM's would have.

He wasn't perfect, and I don't think it would have worked long term with him on the Astros - but he is a good GM, if I had a mid market team that was rebuilding and wanted to compete down the line, I would hire James Click and stay out of baseball decisions and let him do his job.

11. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

It's also because Dusty looks as Diaz and Maldy and says they hit about the same, despite a 300 OPS difference. Pitchers have a lower ERA when Diaz is catching. Diaz also has better rate of passed balls and stolen bases. He's statistically better in every measurable category and is the catcher of the future for this team. Maldy will be 37 in a couple weeks, and can't play forever, so some pitchers are going to have to get over it and work with Diaz (if it's true that they prefer Maldy).

Dana Brown needs to let Dusty ride off into the sunset this offseason.

12. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Is Blanco starting today?

13. Nook

Nook Member

We are having two separate conversations - I wasn't taking a position on Maldonado versus Diaz. I was simply explaining what I know to be factually true when it comes to why Maldonado plays so much - and that is because the pitchers want him to catch them. Could there be other reasons? Sure it is possible - I know someone that is convinced it is because Diaz was the return in the Straw trade.

As for next season - yeah, Diaz will be the starting catcher at least half the time if not more, and he will DH when he doesn't catch most the time. The only exception will be if Diaz really struggles against lefties.

Maldonado is definitely old and breaking down and his physical skills have diminished.

As for Dusty Baker - Crane isn't likely to push him out unless he absolutely makes huge mistakes going against his baseball people. Dana Brown will likely want to bring in another manager, but if the Astros win the World Series - expect Baker to be back.

travfrancis, IBTL and YOLO like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

15. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

James Click always going to be the yes man.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say it will take huge mistakes that Crane perceives and that actually cost the Astros something for Crane to push out Baker. The Astros have a really great team that can overcome a lot.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Ugh. We couldn't find a corpse to pitch instead? Trying to WIN games here.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

While I agree those are awesome days.. it feels like there are 2 days in early November that should bump a couple of those off the list..

RKREBORN and HatsForBats like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

well Clev's own rookie they're throwing out is gonna get mashed

3rd start at C for Diaz in the last 5 games. for all the Maldy fans

IBTL likes this.
  20. Screaming Fist

With Diaz catching, we have a chance with Blanco on the mound. Blanco has given up 10 more runs with Maldy catching in only 3 more IP as compared to Diaz.