1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros re-acquire Justin Verlander

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Aug 1, 2023.

?

Do you like the trade?

This poll will close on Aug 1, 2025 at 2:05 PM.
  1. YES

84.8%
  2. NO

15.2%
  1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Umm more like for cam whitmore and amen Thompson no?

2. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

the way I read that, Mets will pay 19M this year and next then ALL $35M in 2025 if the option vests.

mikol13 likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

To me, beyond not needing young outfielders for the next 2-3 years, the money involved makes it much easier to stomach. $54M or whatever can buy you a lot of outfielding support, or offer good extensions, where needed. (I know my accounting is sloppy, but you get the idea.)

5. SuraGotMadHops

I love this deal. It didn't cost us Chas or any of our current starting pitching depth (which was already thin). It's just one added arm but I feel this is going to completely rejuvenate the entire starting rotation. Gilbert and Clifford could end up studs, but we got so much money in return here. It's a damn great deal.

vince and InTheGroove like this.
  6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I haven't checked if this has been posted......

But this is perfect.

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We had no competition for JV. He wasn’t going to play for anyone else and held all the cards with the no trade clause. We were bidding against ourselves! We could have given away much less and ended up with JV. This smacks of a FINANCIALLY-DRIVEN move!

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

I hope JV first start back home is one of the games the weekend, when they return to Houston in 2 weeks vs Ohtani. Atmosphere is going to be electric for that first game back here w/ October vibes

B-Bob and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  9. cbass

cbass Member

Absolutely terrible take.

You are speculating directly out of your butt.

We don’t know what the Dodgers were offering and we know in the past he has been open to going there.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

IDK - the Mets could’ve also refused to trade him - so it wasn’t completely as you described

Houstunna and marks0223 like this.
  12. Rockets34Legend

13. Rockets34Legend

#253 Rockets34Legend, Aug 1, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
    YOLO likes this.
  14. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Your take is not correct. The Astros had to entice the Mets to trade him. If the Mets did not receive the compensation they wanted, they just do not trade him. So no, we could not have given away much less and still ended up with JV

marks0223 and YOLO like this.
  15. HeyBudLetsParty

The way I cope with this trade is by remembering Chas will be the CF for the next 3 years which is the only real position Gilbert would be a star in, think he’s got limited pop. Clifford has the chance to be a great 1st baseman, I thought he had a Freddie Freeman like game. But supposedly an above average hitting first baseman is one of the easier positions to find in baseball, it will hurt if Clifford hits his ceiling but hopefully you’ll be able to put another good player in that spot.

CisBuds4U likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

All those Mfers who were going on about Verlander "wanting out" and being a traitor.

It was a stupid take in the first place, but looks even stupider now. It was just business, and when the chance to come back to Houston (with his secured bag) came up he took it.

BigMaloe, H-Town Info, awc713 and 5 others like this.
  17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

It would have flown straight in the face of their GM’s publicly stated strategy. They are building for 2026. And JV would have become disgruntled in the locker room. I love JV on the team. I do not like this trade. Mainly because we gave up Clifford, who is a stud. With all the teams that dropped out of the running, AND the NTC, it was clear that Houston was NY’s only option. We overpaid.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

who tf cares if you dont like it. Don't watch then

let everyone else enjoy what a team that is serious about wanting to continue a WS run looks like.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

you can't possibly know this

awc713, B-Bob and YOLO like this.
  20. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Ok - then don’t you think if they were trading Verlander “No matter what” they would be pulling hard on other teams to up their offer and use that as leverage against the Astros ?? They could’ve told JV that it’s basically the Dodgers or you can remain a met and watch us lose the next two years . He may have waived last minute like he did with the Astros in 2017. No way of really knowing if JV was only going to waive for the Astros or bust. Your speculation is specious at best.

Astrofan59 likes this.