1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Someone mentioned Burleson.
    Would rather have Carlson. But he isn't a bad secondary prize.

raining threes likes this.
  2. raining threes

There's plenty of talent in the system and it ranges from guys like Dezenzo/Whitaker/Barber/Gilbert etc... Then you've the under 21 crowd that Snake has listed. They lack Ace pitching and will until the under 21 group of pitchers start to develop. This may take 3-5 yrs and trading for JV buys you 2 1/2 yrs, so does trading for Cease. The other way to go is the rental market with Lorenzen, but if Brown decides to go this route, then I hope he adds Hader to go along with Pressly/Neris/Graveman/Abreu. That's a really solid 5 in the bullpen and allows Maton the rest he needs, along with getting a multi inning reliever like Urquidy back and I'll take my chances with this group. If Brown gets really lucky Brantley makes it back.

3. conquistador#11

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Geez - Angels going all in as well. Rangers Astros Angels and Mariners will be battling until the end. Hope our pitching is up to the pressure

6. HTown2017Champs

It's a total arms race in our division. Need to keep up with the competition, and not fall behind.

Nook likes this.
  7. jayfree

jayfree Member

Cron doesn't do much for the Angels. They'll end up around .500 and continue to miss the playoffs. Seattle also will not catch up to us.

It's the Rangers and Astros to the end (with the Astros making the playoffs regardless)

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Angels needlessly give up 2 of their top 20 prospects from their barren system.

Nook, Htown Legend and jayfree like this.
  9. Salvy

Salvy Member

I am starting to grow tired of Brown, Luhnow would have already brought in Cease and Verlander and possibly another bat....

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The utter self inflicted destruction of the Angels organization, just to see Ohtani walk after they finish 84-78 and miss the playoffs, is greatly amusing to me.

11. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

LOL……

ryan_98 likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It takes two to tango. We don’t know how outrageous the asks are. Brown has to look ahead 3 or 4 years you only have to look today. Yankees are in our conference not our division by the way.

13. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

As for three of the bigger trades Luhnow made:
    Verlander was brought in during the 2nd trade deadline, one that doesn't even exist anymore. Cole was traded for during the off-season. And Greinke's trade was announced after the deadline clock had expired. So yeah, if Luhnow was the GM, we wouldn't be too far off in the trade department then where we are now.

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

So Luhnow brought in 3 hall of fame pitchers, great point.... Turns out we didn't even need a GM this season because of the "market"....

raining threes and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Grichuk and Cron would be fine gets for a team that needed specific vet bench help, but it's weird as hell for the Angels.

I'll never understand what that team's philosophy is.

BMoney and jayfree like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They’re also in the luxury tax now… Moreno is probably going to just sell/cash out no matter what, so he’s going scorched earth (Drayton strategy… without the fake TV network).

17. Buck Turgidson

He is selling, but he would have traded Ohtani and Trout and whoever else if that was the case (full Drayton)

18. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Well, the actual point was that one was traded after the first deadline, one was in the off-season and the other one was announced after the deadline was over. But feel however you want to feel, I guess. It's really not going to change much. I mean, if Luhnow had stopped the cheating, he would either still be around or the Astros could have four more trade assets right now. I'm willing to give Brown a little more time. It's better for my heart.

19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

There has to be something happening

20. Mattician

Mattician Member

Sometimes the best trades aren't even rumored. Let's hope something impactful happens.

raining threes, jayfree and Bregatron like this.