1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. ASTR0nomical

ASTR0nomical Member

I'm updating my apps on my phone.

2. HTown2017Champs

Exactly. Cole finished 4th in CYA voting in 2015, then followed it up with two not as good seasons. I think we could get him to be more consistent.
    This. But it sounds like he isn't going anywhere.

3. raining threes

And complains when they try to make moves to win championships during their window.

These are the same fans that complained about Luhnow when he was building this dynasty. See: Drellich, Footer, Passan etc...
    LOL,

What did he give up in those trades?

4. raining threes

And complains when they try to make moves to win championships during their window.

These are the same fans that complained about Luhnow when he was building this dynasty. See: Drellich, Footer, Passan etc...

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  5. raining threes

LoL, what did he trade for those guys?

6. CinematicFusion

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Bellinger and Stroman would be amazing as long as we don't lose any core pieces. I would give any of our outfielders not named Tucker, Chas, Alvarez for the rental. Giving up Gilbert would be totally worth the added probability of winning big again.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Left handed hitters on MLBTR’s list of trade candidates:
    Jeimer Candelario
    Dylan Carlson
    Cody Bellinger
    Seth Brown
    Tony Kemp
    Victor Caratini
    Alec Burleson
    Ji-Man Choi
    Jurickson Profar
    Nicky Lopez
    Max Kepler
    Trevor Larnach
    Yasmani Grandal

Burleson or Larnach might interest me in a change of scenery deal if the other team wanted a minimal return (like a swap for Julks or a prospect return outside Houston’s top 15). Choi, Profar, Lopez, Kemp, Caratini, and Brown would be 13th position players who might be worth a lotto prospect. Houston doesn’t look like a fit for Grandal at this point. That leaves Kepler, Bellinger, Carlson, and Candelario. They would all be decent fits for Houston (Candelario would have to learn LF in a hurry), but it all depends on the cost. I don’t think any of them move the needle enough to warrant trading Drew Gilbert or any of Houston’s valuable MLB pieces (Meyers, etc.)

#3208 Snake Diggit, Jul 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  9. Major

Major Member

Josh Hader turned to be an OK player. But I think the point was that from 2015-2017, people were endlessly complaining that Lunhow only knew how to manage prospects and didn't know how to make major league moves to win. 2015 didn't have a lot of complaining about the amount of complaining at the 2016 and 2017 deadlines was crazy.

10. Major

Major Member

The one thing the Astros (and probably Dodgers) have going for them is those are the most likely places Verlander would waive his NTC.

The Beard likes this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

Astros get:
    RHP Mitch Keller

Pirates get:
    OF Pedro Leon
    RHP Shawn Dubin
    RHP Brandon Bielak
    PTBNL

Not sure what kind of PTBNL needs to be added, but I really like Keller, and his stuff is filthy. Bielak slots into their rotation, Dubin can be a swing man, and Leon is a toolsy upsider who has done better lately and may just need a change of scenery.

12. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Right, and that’s probably the ONLY thing going for them….

13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Starters available in 2024
    F Valdez*
    C Javier
    H Brown
    J Urquidy
    JP France
    B Bielak
    R Blanco
    Available in season
    L Garcia
    L McCullers
    Promotable in season
    Arreghetti
    Gordon
    Kouba

The 2024 rotation is overflowing. Unless we can get an ace or a #1 We are probably better off with a rental.

Amadeus Rooster likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Keller is a pitcher with high upside who is already on track for 3 fwar and comes with 2 more years of control; he’s only make $2.4M this season. Hes on a team that is not undergoing a full rebuild so they expect to contend in 2024. If he is traded he is going to cost A LOT. Swap Leon for Drew Gilbert and Dubin for Arrighetti and that would be more in line with what I think their demand would be.

IdStrosfan and The Beard like this.
  15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

I have seen dumber... oh that's just my mirror.

aristophanes34 likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Blanco is probably best slotted as a AAA stash. Gordon and Kouba are fine AAA depth but should not be counted on for 2024. McCullers should never be factored in again; too injury prone. Anything he gives is a bonus.

That said, your point is valid: Houston has 7 quality SP in place for 2024 (Framber, Javier, Brown, Garcia, France, Urquidy, and Arrighetti), plus 2 arms that are out of options (Bielak, Whitley) who are probably worth holding some kind of spot for in the opening day roster.

I think it is an easy fix, that if they do end up trading for a non-rental SP, they will include one (or more) of those arms as part of the outgoing package.

17. lnchan

Supporting Member

I have seen dumber... oh that's just my mirror.
    and that complaining came from the clubhouse itself namely Dallas Keuchel.

Major likes this.
  18. lnchan

Supporting Member

But it is a HUGE thing. No point in negotiating a trade if you know that team is not an option.

19. CinematicFusion

Rumors are Rangers lead team. Is Verlander a gun for hire as long as team as solid chance to play in WS or would he have loyalty to Astros and void Rangers.

20. CinematicFusion

Who do we have that the Mets would want for Verlander?