1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Landry's Tooth

Stone has his faults, but I have to say this sets up nicely...

2025-26

115.5 million in salary and holds (assuming no FVV, Landale, Tate, etc.)

Starting
    Amen Thompson
    Jalen Green
    Cam Whitmore
    Jabari Smith Jr
    Alperen Sengun

Bench
    Kevin Porter Jr
    Dillon Brooks
    Tari Eason

Porter can be cut for more space if needed.

Last bite at the free agent apple. Green and Sengun are RFAs....

Might be a case if Green isn't worth the max and there's a scoring wing to be had, let Green go and void KPJ for 47 million in space.

I think if Thompson, Green, and Whitmore can shoot by then it's a top 5 roster probably...

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rum...reaves-sixers-rockets-heat-suns-thunder-more/

Scotto: Lakers guard Austin Reaves recently told All The Smoke on Showtime that the Rockets and Spurs were possibilities before he re-signed with the Lakers. The Spurs considered offering Reaves a restricted free agency sheet worth $21 million per season, league sources told HoopsHype. Ultimately, however, the Spurs were scared off by the widespread belief that the Lakers would match any offer sheet for Reaves and chose to preserve cap space as a salary dump destination for future draft pick compensation. The Rockets were also closely monitoring Reaves’ situation because they were prepared to make a big offer sheet if Fred VanVleet didn’t sign with them, sources said.

Gozlan: The Rockets missed out on Brook Lopez, but with the amount of money they were offering, even on short-term deals, they were bound to get some of the targets they were linked to early on. It explains a lot of what they were doing with the Dillon Brooks sign-and-trade. Had they gotten Lopez, it all would’ve made a lot more sense.

Scotto: Houston thought they really had a strong chance to get Lopez. Brooks ended up getting more money. Jeff Green originally agreed to a one-year, $6 million deal. Then, once the Lopez talks fell through, there was a follow-up conversation after the initial agreement and a scenario where it was pitched that he could do a longer deal (two years, $16 million), and that’s how he ended up getting a little bit more money on the front end.

Lopez had a domino effect, and look what it did for Jock Landale. He ended up getting four years, $32 million. From what I’ve heard, Landale, this upcoming season, is going to make double more than what Phoenix was looking at offering at that point. It was a no-brainer for him to go to Houston, which benefited him financially, even though, looking ahead, that contract is structured with some non-guarantees, so it can be traded. Overall, it was a win for Landale and his camp. For Dillon Brooks’ camp, that was a win when all of NBA Twitter had him going to the Shanghai Sharks. Well, the joke was on NBA Twitter because he broke the bank and took all the checks with him as well.

Deckard likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

“And despite the Rockets’ bumpy rebuild, Houston assistant general manager Eli Witus also registered strong support among various league personnel to pilot his own program, with several league figures pinning Witus as their choice for the smartest front-office figure in the league.”

xtruroyaltyx, HP3 and daywalker02 like this.
  5. TimDuncanDonaut

Winger, I've heard his name as guys on the come up. His Clippers resume is supposedly impressive before the Wizards gig.

Landry Fields and Dunleavy Jr., yes those names have been around in GM circles, but still feels weird because I only think of them from their playing days. They could be qualified but very different skill set being a GM vs playing.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice to know that we have a respected guy backing up Stone, looking over his shoulder and giving his opinions.

saleem, matchesmalone and Mathloom like this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Very good to know. Hope he doesn't get poached.

IMO we'll know 50% more about Stone by the end of the coming season, that would be a good time to consider other candidates.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I wonder if that's something Witus wants. I've always read he doesn't want the limelight and would rather stay in the background, but maybe that's not true.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

why isn’t he still part of the rockets? Wtf?

saleem and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Witus for GM!

slothy420 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Probably just outbid.

Ime as a former Spurs player no ties to Chucky......

13. prs325

prs325 Member

Even Morey was complimentary of Witus.

saleem likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hayes to the Warriors just gave me fibromyalgia

Go ahead and sign Hakeem to the Raptors, Gerald Green to the Mavericks, and Luis Scola to the Jazz FO’s while your at it.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

[​IMG]

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

Ime also makes the decisions on front office personnel? I thought Chuck had earned his stripes with the Rockets. Talent evaluation has been pretty good for many years here. I’m just disappointed. I like seeing ex rockets sticking with the org if they are actually good at what they do.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It’s a disorder that causes widespread pain all over the body and is often triggered by a stress event

HP3 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Same here, Aruba, Chuck did not get a high job even with Silas, I think they just gave him an executive title if I am not mistaken.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ve-rockets-front-office-warriors-18268023.php

Houston Rockets assistant director of player personnel Chuck Hayes is leaving to take a job with the Golden State Warriors as their director of basketball operations.

Hayes, a longtime player and staffer for the Rockets, joined Houston’s front office in 2017 as a pro player personnel scout. He said in a text message on Saturday that his new role with the Warriors will encompass some scouting at the professional and college levels but also “enhance my responsibilities with free agency and some trade strategy.”

Hayes’ new job in San Francisco will take him closer to his hometown of San Leandro in California’s Bay Area.

jch1911 and xtruroyaltyx like this.