1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

The thought of jv to the rangers is bad enough.
    Seeing Kate Upton in rangers gear and hearing their inbred fans gush over her makes me want to puke.

mikol13, lionaire and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Very few trades return full-value. Ohtani is a full-blown rental for the vast majority of teams that might've been after him. I don't know where he'll end up, money-wise - but seems north of $400MM is likely, and there are only... four? teams that can realistically afford that. An even if there's a dark horse team that is willing to step up.... he has to want to play there. I'm guessing his market this offseason is: Anaheim, LA, NY (2) and.... that's it?

So, for the Angels, you (likely) have two pools of suitors: 1) teams willing to rent him - but likely at a discount (think: Baltimore or Arizona - two prospect-rich teams with zero chance of resigning him); or 2) rich teams - like the Dodgers - who would be wise to keep its prospects and just pursue him in two months when money is all they would have to spend.

I think it would be really tough for Anaheim to return anything close to full value (partly, as stated, I'm not sure you can quantify full value for Ohtani). Against that backdrop, I think loading up, making a run and a) possibly sneaking in; b) demonstrating to him you will build a winner and go for it - might have more value.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bring JV back home and get another WS

4. Nook

Nook Member

I personally wouldn't deal Baez, but I will trust the Astros player development people.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The bottom line is how important is winning now vs maximizing the contention window.

The prices are the prices. The Astros can't do anything about them.

This team can't win as currently constructed and has fought Tooth and nail to be in the position they are now. They have done their part.

2-4 additions can ABSOLUTELY change the odds and make this team a World Series favorite.

If I were Brown, I would:

identify the top 3 SP available, or even maybe available and make an offer that is 1 additional prospect more than I want but not my best offer to all 3 teams. First one to accept takes it. If any show interest but counter weigh it and accept unless it's a deal you can't live with then go to next one. Get a SP.

Same thing with 2-3 RP and a bat to help w/ RHP.

World Series opportunities are rare despite what we have seen the last several years. Just ask Cesar Cedeno or Larry Dierker.

2/3 of the way through the season this team has a chance. We have no idea if that will be the case next year or the next.

Altuve and Bregman only have 1 more season before FA. Framber, Tucker, and Pressly only have 2 more.

Even the best of all prospects are just gambles until they have proven themselves.

Right now this season is a better bet to win than next year or any of the following ones.

Go All In.

Save what prospects you can, but nobody is off the table, and deal with the farm system when this is over.

Bottom line: How much better is Gilbert than Melton, or Clifford, or Baez? How much better is Arrighetti than Knorr or Andrew Taylor? Enough to kill a deal that would help this team win?

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I see the results and hear the praise but that's why its a hard choice, and he is very young with lots of hurdles still to clear.

He could still end up being Juan Soto, or Pete Incaviglia, or Alex McKenna.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rogers is already 28 and likely will not be the Tigers catcher the next time they are good. Whether he costs a little more or less, he should be someone that the Astros can acquire.

On the couple of relievers, these guys would likely combine for a SP workload in this postseason with an ERA around 3.25, next postseason, make peanuts enabling the Astros to have $50M to spend on SPs this offseason. What would the Astros be willing to trade for that? Whether it is Gilbert or someone else, I think Brash and Sewald make a lot of sense for the Astros if they can find someone the Mariners want.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Prospects are prospects until they are not.... I agree with your post.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Kphorns14

Kphorns14 Member

Starting to seem like it and it sucks. Only hope is he doesn’t okay going there. Hopefully he’s thinking Houston/Detroit nowhere else. But doubt it

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

For me, opposing GMs who answer my rejection of including Gilbert by asking for Baez or Clifford or Dezenzo would be told “also, no”. They are all in the same tier imo.

Wulaw Horn and AznH-TownFan like this.
  11. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Whatever they do the price will be steep and will cut their years short.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is that it is highly unlikely that the Astros are this hurt in both 2024 and 2025. As such, I would rate 2024 as likely better odds than this season and 2025 to be pretty freaking good as well. I'd look for all-in like moves that help 2023-2025. I'd be very open to trading prospects for guys with 1-2 additional years of control and try my hardest not to trade MLB players with control through 2025. If the Astros can trade for guys on cheap contracts with control, FA should be enough to fill holes until 2026.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s a really good point that 2 elite RP might provide the same value in the playoffs as 1 elite SP.

14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Snell and Hader would be a pretty big difference maker IMO

raining threes and SKYGODZ187 like this.
  15. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I would only accept Verlander if Montero Martinez and Stanek are going the other way, and the Mets are at least paying 10m per season through his contract.
    Other than that, I'd pass.
    He had every excuse to why he wanted out of Houston and none made since.
    There is too much pressure. Too much hard work. Ugh, please. Why do you play the game? Just Saying guys this Guy needs to go to the Rangers so we can pound on him. And it will pressure our Brass to actually do something..... hopefully

16. Radricky

Radricky Member

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I will say, my initial reaction to trading a Top 100 prospect for 2 relievers is that I'm completely against it. That trade speculation is one that I would cause me elation and queasiness all at once if it actually happened.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. SuraGotMadHops

If the Rangers get JV I am throwing furniture.

Smacktle and Radricky like this.
  19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Did not realize Hicks went to my high school (Cy-Creek) - that would make him an interesting get for the Astros.

raining threes and Radricky like this.
  20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

For every Bregman, Tucker, etc. there’s a Mark Appel, Jon Singleton, Forrest Whitley, Francis Martes, Franklin Perez, etc.