1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Nolan Jones and Brent Suter
    for
    Corey Julks
    Colin Barber
    Joe Perez
    Michael Knorr

Htown Legend likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not bad. Swap Arrighetti for Knorr and it’s probably reasonable. I think I’d be ok with that trade if Houston’s FO think Jones will be a really good hitter.

The Beard likes this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Astros fan see Pena's value at X, the Astros organization view his value at X-Y, and other team's organization view his value at X-Y-Z.

I would LOVE to see the Astros trade him for a 5+ WAR player with multiple years of control.

He's Adam Everett with more power.

4. jayfree

jayfree Member

I don't see how either helps. I would never trade to get a low-level bat from Colorado (regardless of their road/home splits) and Suter was a waiver wire pickup last year.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would do that deal. Especially if Julks instead of Meyers is in the deal. Simply so Chas has a real backup, as opposed to Dubon.

Suter is solid and fills a need.

Jones is great platoon/bench player who can backup 4 corner positions and has 5 years of control. And his wRC+ numbers says he can hit away from Coors.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. jayfree

jayfree Member

A bit extreme on that comparison as Pena has more upside potential than Adam ever had. How about Carl Everett :)

7. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think Shay can take Penas spot foe the rest of the year Dubon can play SS

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I actually really like whatvI have seen from Kessinger

raining threes, rockbox and jayfree like this.
  9. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

There is absolutely no reason why Maldon't and/or Abreu shouldn't be offered s complementary players in "blockbuster" package deals.
    Whatever it takes.

10. jayfree

jayfree Member

Let's review history
    -Astros have made the World Series 4 out of the last 6 years (winning 2) and 3 out of last 4.
    -Astros don't trade big pieces of their lineup at the deadline
    -Astros are within 2 games despite significant injuries (and could argue without those they would be leading their division right now)

Despite a new GM, Astros are under no pressure to throw whatever it takes to add big name players, especially by sacrificing big name players in the process. Pena and Abreu will be safe. The main cogs thrown in could include Maldy (and very well should) but most likely will include a combination of Julks, Kessinger and Meyers. Only reason why Diaz would ever be considered in a trade is if they sentimentally want Maldy to stay another few years thinking they can afford to have him in the 9th hole to bolster other areas.

Astros have done a good job of showcasing their young talent this year and will use them first to fill their needs (without trading away Gilbert or other minor leaguers). Whatever they can get for those guys (and perhaps hope someone would take on Montero "unlikely") will most likely be their direction.

Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez, Dubon, McCormick, Pena, Abreu, Tucker, Framber, Brown, Javier, France all are safe. They may be explored but will still be Astros this time next week

InTheGroove and whiskeyred like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Agreed.

I also said the same thing about Hensley last year though.

12. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

No disrespect but if we’re relying on Kessinger at ALL in any capacity in the playoffs, we’re already screwed.

13. Buck Turgidson

I would rely on Kessinger to be the backup to the backup infielder.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It takes 2 to tango so I'm not expecting Brown to overpay for stars. However, I do expect him to get a reliever that can help us for one of our extra outfieldiers/prospects.

raining threes and Madmanmetz like this.
  15. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Brewers nab Santana from the Pirates

16. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

have we given up on Hensley already? I feel like he would be a project worth still investing in... not sure what happened to him this year - but he was one of my favorites last year.

17. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

And the Brewers gave up one of their top international signings from the 22’ signing period to get him

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Ive given up on him. He doesn't make great contact like Diaz, isn't versatile like Dubon, and doesn't hit for power. At best he will be mediocre.

CisBuds4U likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Not at all, but he was a massive disappointment this year when we really could have used him.

He still has potential to be a fine backup IF, same as Kessinger.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Likely a guy who needs to go to a team not trying to win it all right now to get a better chance

CisBuds4U likes this.