1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. the shark

the shark Member

To even consider it more cash would have to come back. Crane wasn't willing to go over 30 mil for JV on his current contract so he sure isn't going to give him 35 mil in '25 when he'll be 42 yrs old. I'd say a Minimum of 23 mil would have to be included (13 mil for next yr which means the Astros would be paying him 30 mil instead of 43 and 10 mil for '25 which would mean they'd be paying him 25 mil instead of 35).

vince likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We don't really know what he was comfortable going for a year by year basis... we just know he wasn't comfortable going more than 1 year at a time.

As long as revenues are healthy, dollars/year really haven't been as big of a concern as total year commitments throughout the Crane era.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. HTown2017Champs

In essence it’s just a 2 year commitment after this year, as opposed to 3 full years.
    We unload Montero’s contract too in my hypo, so there’s some money coming off the books for us. If we have to eat significant $$$ I’d see if we can pry away Kevin Parada (blocked by Francisco Alvarez) but that’s probably just a pipe dream.

Nook likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think if Houston trades for Verlander they will require NY to put in at least $20M (assuming the option year becomes guaranteed).

5. Nook

Nook Member

This is a logical conclusion - but I don't see it this way.

While it is true there is a larger degree of parity than most seasons, and the expanded playoffs make a difference - I also think that there are a number of teams that are publicly and probably privately taking the position that they will add and not deplete their short term roster - that will gladly listen to trade offers, and ultimately make deals.

Right now I have the following as sellers ..... some based on what I have been told and some based on record and my knowledge of their organizations:

Colorado/San Diego/Pittsburgh/St. Louis/Chicago Cubs/Washington/New York City/Oakland/Seattle/Kansas City/Chicago Sox/Detroit

That is 12 teams that I am pretty sure will be sellers of at least rental players.

Then there are some teams that are 50/50:

New York State/Cleveland/Los Angeles Angels/Miami

That is 4 teams, and I am pretty sure that the Angels and Cleveland will end up selling to some degree.

The teams I am hearing that will be aggressive buyers at the deadline are not the ones the press are talking much about.

I have mostly heard these teams as being aggressive:
    Toronto, Cincinatti, Houston, Dallas, Tampa and San Francisco.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I hope you’re right as that would lead to a more active and Astros-friendly deadline.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Most of what I have heard has been centered around Montero going to NY and the Mets providing some limited financial support beyond that. The Mets want to fill a couple positions internally and the Astros provide an opportunity to do that. I don't think that the Astros would give as much in prospect capital as some think - but they would lose some useful players off their big league club.

8. Nook

Nook Member

He is - they will move him for pitching.

9. Nook

Nook Member

The Braves trade for Pierce Johnson just highlights what we are going to see from true contenders this year when it comes to bullpen additions.

The Braves traded for a reliever with an era of 6 this season and a career era of 5.

The Braves wanted him for one reason - he has struck out 58 batters in 39 innings.

10. Amadeus Rooster

Lose useful players off the big league club. Maybe not a SS, Mets have Lindor. Chas or Meyers maybe? Or JP France? JP fer JV prollie...

Now question. If we end up w JV is it for more than a rental situation?

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Snell/Hader would be my #1 just b/c the cost back out should be relatively light. Like Meyers, Melton and France maybe?
    Cease/Robert would be fascinating (and scary) to see what would go out. Stroman/Bellinger my guess is are a bit more expensive than Snell Hader and I'm not sure it does more for us than that one does.
    I could probably get myself talked into any of the other combos but wouldn't be super excited I don't think. JV/Raley I don't think of a combo deal as Raley is an afterthought, but would be happy to see JV come back here for the right price.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

given that he's not a FA next year....

13. FatCheetah

FatCheetah Member

Blake Snell and Josh Hader would cost a LOT more than Meyers/Melton/France

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah- it's at least 1.5 years, probably 2.5 with the vesting option. And we should do that.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You realize they are both rentals right? I don't think they would but if they do I'm cool with passing. You know that's a guy with 4.5 years worth of club control that's a 3 war OF (if he plays fulltime which they have the spot to do that), and another pitcher with 5.5 years of control that makes nothing and currently has an era+ of like 140. Plus a really high ceiling prospect. For rentals. On a team that's 18 games back of the division, 8 of the WC and behind like 5 teams. If they can get considerably more than that for 2 months of each guy God bless them.

Astrofan59 and raining threes like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I have heard the names of our cost controlled starters and cost controlled outfielders mentioned when it comes to Verlander.

No, I don't think that Verlander would be a rental - i think that they would keep him for next season as well.

No guarantee it happens, Toronto, San Francisco, Dallas and Boston all have some degree of interest.

Verlander would have to waive his no trade clause - so he has some control over where he ends up.

17. the shark

the shark Member

My contact in the organization told me Crane was willing to go 2yr/60. Wasn't going above this nor was he willing to go 3 yrs (not even a club option or a vesting). The last two contracts JV signed with HOU was for 2 yrs and that was what Crane was comfortable with. Nook could shed some light on this.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Both of them are rentals - that will be gone in 2-3 months at most.

It is possible that a team like the Rangers decided to dangle someone like Kumar Rocker and Jack Leiter for Snell and Hader - but the Padres are most likely going to want something that they can use in 2024 to compete. That would ideally be young productive players under team control that can contribute now.

The Padres keep claiming they are not going to trade Hader or Snell - but we will see.

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Would you assume he'd be more or less happy to waive to reunite with the Astros? Maybe guaranteeing the option year? I didn't get the sense he left on any kind of bad terms here...

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The cubs didn't trade a couple of their guys last year which was nuts in my opinion. I have no idea why the Padres wouldn't trade their rentals- that would be bizarre.