1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets trade KJ Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 1, 2023.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

bro don't be so dramatic. he was a 2nd round pick and we flipped him for two. in theory we could get him twice more or a better player by packaging those two and moving up a bit.

roslolian likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

rockets may never recover from this kjm trade.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's talking like he's a franchise player. He'll barely play in LA.

OremLK, don grahamleone and roslolian like this.
  4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

He doesn’t have a handle and seems to only be able to drive straight-line. Shot wasn’t bad, particular from certain spots, but he basically could only make set shots. Couldn’t create anything on his own really. I agree he’s probably about as good as he’s gonna get. Maybe he develops slightly but it’s really hard for me to imagine him suddenly being a shot creator or lock down defender. For as athletic as he is, he seemed slow to react on the perimeter. That might not be a huge deal given his quick jump and vertical.

watched a random Scalabrine interview and he talked about how guarding in the nba, as opposed to any other league, requires you think and move before the ball hits the floor. Most guys react and move their feet as the opponent puts the ball on the floor to drive. Good defenders, or those with comparatively poor athleticism like Scal, had to anticipate and react before the offender got into their move.

just thinking back, there were a lot of times guys would easily drive by KJ on the perimeter. Again, he’s so athletic he can recover better than most, but it won’t always be like that and it won’t work on better players who will learn to shield him better.

FVV is really good at shielding players with his back on his drives, which significantly helps him given his stature. Then he can do those finger rolls if he is worried about guys like KJ blocking a floater as they trail on his hip.

wlekfjv923n and ipaman like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sure he cna continue to grow and evolve but so does his salary. I'd rather not pay KJM 10M just to see him dunk and play bad defense.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

How many years are you talking about? SL about to be done and I see no haunting going on.

The amount of over acting CF has done for scrubs KJM, Garuba and Tyty has made me go from getting pissed at the trades to defending them cuz y'all won't stop crying about some tier 3 scrubs who couldn't even break into the rotation of a 20 win team.

Jayzers_100 and don grahamleone like this.
  7. Salvy

Salvy Member

Tilman right now

[​IMG]

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I really like KJ too, but uh, a robbery? You got a second round pick for two second round picks. He's an NBA player, but I'll be shocked if he's ever a real difference maker.

xiki, OremLK, topfive and 1 other person like this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yeah he was a 2nd round pick, but from that 2020 draft there's only maybe a dozen players who anyone would select over him now

certainly half the GM's would have wanted KJ from us for more... i'm still trying to figure out why stone accepted the clips' poopoo offer instead

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

by most metrics he performed as top 15 in his draft class. In a re-draft he’d go lottery.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

After the player has played 3-4 years in the league, his draft position is no longer relevant.

Draft position is based on potential. After the guy has played for a while, his value should be clear enough to be judged directly, not by potential. If a team could trade 10 second round picks for Jokic, it would be considered a robbery.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The only thing I'll miss is his cutting when Sengun had the ball in his hands. Other than that, we've got players that do what he was doing. He was becoming a vet but I don't think he had any sway as a leader because he was playing minutes for a franchise that averaged 19.67 wins per season. This was a good move for us and a good move for him. I do think he was worth a late first round draft pick but 2 seconds isn't exactly awful.

Who we really lost out on is Stephen Silas. He was worth 3 lottery picks and if you disagree, you're not paying attention. Also, I'll fight you. Anyhoo we lost him to the Pistons for absolutely nothing. We should've gotten Cade Cunningham and Ausar Thompson for him. He's gonna take that franchise to lottery promised land with his coaching skillz.

BamBam, Easy and kpdark like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Also, this is exactly the kind of thing you hear from the team and their fans after a trade is completed and before the new guy has played a game.

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

I certainly feel we could have gotten more for KJ than we did. We got Stoned.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Jayzers_100 and rfrocket like this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It wasn’t robbery but we should have gotten a first round pick for KJ considering his youth and upside; at least what we got from Dallas for Christian Wood. He should have been dealt at the trade deadline; not this offseason going into his final year on that contract. We should have done better than two 2nds for kJ. Another example of Stone holding assets too long.

#217 Aruba77, Jul 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Notice we gave away every negative player on the team besides Jalen and Jabari. Jalen was slightly negative but improved significantly from his rookie year when he was massively negative, Jabari was horribly negative but he was just a rookie. Every other negative player was shipped off for scraps. Meanwhile we added FVV who is +5, tied for 17th in the league.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Martin is more flash than actual substance.

20. maj21

maj21 Member

All KJ can do is dunk and play hard