1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

2. AkeemTheDreem86

Stroman got beat up today.

Let's hope Meyers has another good game tonight - bringing us the the W and raising his trade value :}

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Here's to hoping Meyers raises his trade value so much that he becomes untouchable.

4. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Audacy radio strikes with an proposal of
    Pena Whitley and Gilbert for Cease.
    Someone adds Bielak Blanco and Gordon and we get Robert's. Done deal

5. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I do think Cease is a #1. In our system he would be a #2. I am not convinced Robert is what we are looking for. We were in fact looking for a LH bat and Robert is not that. Do not be distracted by the shiny object. I would love to have Cease added to our rotation. Untill we are done preparing for the final push I have no interest in Robert, and very little afterward.

jayfree and raining threes like this.
  6. raining threes

A fair opinion.

Much respect even though I would love a GG CF with power patrolling CF.

Joshfast likes this.
  7. jayfree

jayfree Member

He's trying to lower his value to make it easier for Houston to get him, otherwise he may be stuck with the Cubs

8. raining threes

If Brown does this deal, fine, but he needs to flip Meyers for another starting pitcher, Odorizzi type. He also needs to find a top shelf reliever.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Tim Anderson has been horrendous this year and there have been whispers that he wants a big deal or out of Chicago. He has looked entirely uninterested all year…. I remember one of the Sox scouts saying something to the effect he is doing everything to get the Sox to reject the 14 million dollar player option for 2024.

Pena is cheaper - plays harder as well and White Sox front office wants more “professionals” and chemistry guys… it’s part of the reason they like some of the Astros pieces.

It also clears about 10 million off the books in 2024 for the Sox to spend in free agency.

The pressure on the Sox front office isn’t to win a WS in 2024 - but make the playoffs… even losing Robert and Cease - they can get a couple cheap solid starters for their rotation and a cheap good SS and likely a solid cheap outfielder… that improves their defense, professionalism and they have money for free agency in 2024.

This is ALL about saving jobs and scape goating players on the Sox to buy management more time to turn it around.

10. AkeemTheDreem86

Thanks for that. Would the Stros be interested in taking a flyer on him and seeing if a change of scenery gets him going?

raining threes likes this.
  11. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I'm not as sure of Tucker leaving as I was before. He was selling the Stros to Ohtani, talking about the clubhouse, fans, ownership and lack of state income tax.

raining threes likes this.
  12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Bregman is not going to get that kind of a contract.

13. AkeemTheDreem86

Edit: wrong thread

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

I don't know how Brown will be this trade season but one thing we've learned is the Astros like to make trades that nobody saw coming. I sense either a bit of misdirection going on or showing other teams that they have options to bring down the price.

AznH-TownFan and BMoney like this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Was this in an interview?

16. Nook

Nook Member

The interest that Brown has in Cease and especially Robert is genuine. Brown was talking to the Sox about both over a month ago. Having said that, it doesn’t mean a trade involving either is a guarantee or even likely. For one thing, the White Sox are a notorious tease when it comes to making trades. They often listen and get serious and then get cold feet. In Chicago ownership has to approve a deal and there are like 5-6 owners. They all have a vote.

Second - I had someone text me and ask me if it’s true that the Astros talked to a particular team about a particular player and my response to him was “You have a better bet asking who the Astros have NOT asked about in trade.” The Astros have been possibly (along with Texas) the most active team in the league talking trade with other teams.

As for what happens, I agree with you, it may be something out of left field that the Astros pull off. There is pressure on Brown to make moves - Crane has made it clear, and Brown is trying to get innovative to fill the needs.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

How a hitter performs is much more important that which side of the plate a player hits from.

The Astros need more run production vs RHH. Usually hitters hit better vs pitchers that throw with arm opposite their hitting set up. They see the ball easier and longer.

But it's not always the case. Bregman can't hit LhP to save his life.

Robert is significantly better than Meyers or Julks vs RHP. 130 wRC+. ( and 190 wRC+ vs LHP)

Only Yordan, Altuve, Diaz, Chas, and Bregman are better.

Getting Robert accomplishes what they need to without him hitting left handed.

Madmanmetz and rockbox like this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

So you think that Kris Bryant before 2022 was more likely to get that contract?

Bregman is a better and more productive player than Bryant. Bryant had 11.4 bWAR and 11.0 fWAR the 4 seasons (2020 extrapolated to 162 g) leading into FA.

Bregman has 8.9 bWAR and 9.5 fWAR with 1/3 of this year and the entire 2024 season. (That's before today's HR)

No way he does not get at least what Bryant got unless something drastically changes between now and then.

19. jayfree

jayfree Member

I'm not interested in Belly at all and believe Roberts will cost too much for not much upgrade (k rate and clutch hitting not good). What I'd prefer is to have 2 starting pitchers come in (perhaps Stroman and Cease)... Framber, Javier, Cease, Stroman, Brown and France (6 man rotation to end the year) with Urquidy in the pen long relief or even spot starts if need be. We can certainly add a bat but not at a high cost. Our bullpen of Neris, Abreu and Pressly are battle tested in the post season and can preserve wins when it matters and Alvarez will provide a huge boost again. Altuve also provides stability in the lineup and hope he just stays healthy (which I think he will)

Altuve 2b
    Bregman 3b
    Alvarez dh/lf
    Tucker rf
    Abreu 1b
    McCormick cf
    Diaz c/dh
    Pena ss
    Meyers lf/Maldy c

That's the lineup I want to see play the majority of games down the stretch. Dubon and Julks can spot start for rest as I'd rather Altuve have at least 2 days off a week until the playoffs.

The issue would be if any of the above are needed to be included to get Cease and Stroman? If we lose Meyers or Julks then we are still solid, but no way would I part with Pena to put Dubon at ss. I want to see Pena in another pressure playoff situation before doing anything else as I think the off season may have got to his head a bit. He's still only a second year player and would love to see if he's that guy that just rakes in October. I'd rather trade Dubon and Meyers to make things work and of course Urquidy if need be.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  20. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member