1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

There is no way that Houston gives up 3 years of Garcia and Meyers much less the added prospects for 3 rental players. Heck I do not think they would even give up Garcia alone.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

with an extension agreed to, Yordan and Tucker for Ohtani

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I responded to one of your posts 2 or 3 weeks ago by just acknowledging that you are a great fan. You didn’t respond back or even “like” the post and that’s quite alright. Maybe you feel like I’m an ass. That’s ok too. I still think you are a great fan and I quite enjoy your baseball savant driven posts (lol I enjoy the other ones too).

This is just an observation, and please don’t take this the wrong way again. I notice that you were pro Jake over Chas as the starter in CF most of the year. We had several debates over this. Now, when it’s very clear (was always clear to me) that Chas really won the job, you now say that neither Jake nor Chas should be our CF. I don’t know what to make of that. I feel like you are in solidarity with Dusty when it comes to Chas lol. Thats a bit of a joke but it does seem like you just never really liked Chas. Is Chas a superstar? No. I think it has just been obvious since last year that he was our best option in CF. Plus, the catch dude.

I do enjoy our debates though. I also respect your knowledge and admire your level of interest in analytics. Please don’t ever think I’m hostile or trying to be rude to you. I argue with everyone. Some get me, some don’t. There’s only like 3 people that I get hostile with here (they deserve it!) and you would never be one of them.

raining threes and IdStrosfan like this.
  4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Cleveland gets
    Julks
    Leon
    Another prospect in our organizational 15-20 range

Astros get
    Civale

Civale has been good this year, in fact he has been consistently good when healthy, which has been a bit if a career issue. He would slot in 3 or 4 in our rotation and could push someone to the pen to give the pen some length

Padres get
    Meyers
    K Lee

Astros get
    J Hader

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I prefer Verdugo as a player. I prefer Bellinger as a fit for this team.

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I just think Bellinger wouldn't be overall good for the team because of his Dodger days.

To me Verdugo with another year on his contract would be dynamic.

7. raining threes

This would really improve the team. Enough to win a WS? Who knows.

8. raining threes

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Thanks. I appreciate the nice words.

You are absolutely correct that I preferred Jake for quite a bit of the season. I still feel that Jake is a true CF and Chas is an OF who is better in LF but good in CF. I have been consistent with this opinion for 3 years. Part of this is arm strength. I watched the Angels take extra bases throughout the series last weekend. Neither Chas nor Jake could throw enough to stop them.

The bottom line is that since the season started Chas has proven he is an everyday starter rather than a 4th OF.

Jake has not run with the opportunity he had and is still where he was in April- unproven and running out of time. Jake's arm hurts, but he hasn't shown the bat for a corner spit and is truly elite with the glove.

That means that Chas is the only player on the roster who has earned an everyday job and can play CF.

Julks has also outplayed Meyers this year but not enough to win an everyday job or kick Meyers completely to the bench. Yordan will also play some in LF.

That means that Chas will play a lot of CF when Yordan and Corey are starting and LF when Meyers starts.

To complicate things Chas, Julks, and Meyers are all very similar offensively. They all hit RH, are better vs LHP, and have solid power and speed but not all star type level of either.

That means that replacing one of them for a guy who hits LH and is good vs RHP is simple good sense and based on what I said earlier if that player is a CF it would be better than a LF.

So that's where I am on that.

I think for this team to win it all either Meyers or Julks must be replaced by a hitter can produce runs vs RHP. It's a huge need, they are the only reasonable guys to replace, and Chas has earned his spot and should no longer be a trade option.

#1729 IdStrosfan, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
    Tomstro likes this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I really do. I hope its his decision, but I think it will happen eventually regardless.

He will Have to. There will be no other place to play Diaz and to win another World Series his bat will be needed. The defense is a bonus that he won't acknowledge.

11. raining threes

I'm just glad Chas was in cf against the Phillies. He's got good range and gets great jumps. I can live with his arm if his bat stays hot.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I prefer Chas in CF over Chas on the bench or on another team.

But my favorite Chas is in LF.

Watching teams run all over the bases and him not being able to do a thing about it kills me.

panamamyers likes this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

My predictions:

Giolito to the Dodgers
    Flaherty to the Rays
    Lynn to the Dbacks
    Snell to the Phillies
    Montgomery to the Blue Jays
    Stroman to the Orioles
    Lorenzen to the Astros
    E. Rodriguez to the Giants
    Scherzer to the Rangers

Nook, The Beard, Snake Diggit and 3 others like this.
  14. Screaming Fist

Would be like getting Odorizzi all over again, although Lorenzen is probably a little better. Could do worse. Bet there will be a lot of complaining from fans though.

Wulaw Horn and rockbox like this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

but we have an elite hitter in LF that happens to have a great arm too. Moving Chas to left does not improve the team. Moving Chas to left if we acquire a better CF would make sense but, again, that’s Yordan’s position. It looks like Dusty will be putting Diaz at DH most of the time. I like an everyday outfield of yordan, chas, and Tuck. Julks is a great 4th guy. Meyers is a great 5th outfielder who can come in as an “elite” defensive player a la Marisnick. Apparently Julks can play 3rd too.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do wonder how much the fact that Click likely lost his job largely because he didn’t make a big enough impact at the trade deadline will play into Brown’s decision making. That’s the main thing making it hard for me to predict what the Astros will do. If weren’t for that, I would predict a very mild deadline with trades for a rental middling SP (like Odorizzi) and a multiyear RP nobody is really thinking of (like Maton).

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

agree with this, and the fact that our farm system lacks the depth that most of the other contenders have will play a big role in everything also, because if another team wants to outbid us, for the most part, they will be able to. Brown has his work cut out for him

We also have the Space to take on salary if it helps get a deal done, but I doubt crane wants to go that direction

raining threes and Redfish81 like this.
  18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The question is, would moving Yordan to DH to accommodate a new CF mean that Diaz plays catcher? Or does he sit? Or would it be Chas losing playing time? Both? Bottom line, I don't trust Dusty to keep both guys in the lineup if you add an OF. He's not going to bench Maldy.

Honestly our OF is awesome when healthy. Probably the best in the league. Let's focus on upgrading elsewhere.

Tomstro likes this.
  19. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Didn't Brown sign a 5 year contract? That is what I seem to recall. If that is the case, I doubt it has a serious impact on his thinking.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They would definitely give up Meyers. Garcia on the other hand is probably too expensive. They would have to give back a decent prospect if they want Garcia.