1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Sorry. Deleted this because I totally overreacted

#1661 IdStrosfan, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chas's career fWAR extrapolated as if he was a fulltime CF
    7.7 (4.7/600 PAs or 3.9 for 500 PAs)
    Chas's career fWAR extrapolated as if he was a fulltime LF
    5.5 (3.4/600 PAs or 2.8 for 500 PAs)
    Without extrapolation, Chas has 6.3 fWAR for his career.

Chas's ability to run down balls consistently (made every 50-50 catch or easier except 2 in his career) to prevent runners from getting to 2nd or 3rd is more valuable in aggregate than arm strength is in aggregate despite arm being incredibly valuable on an individual play basis. There just aren't enough tough opportunities in LF for hiding his arm there to be worth it.

The only good reason to play Chas in LF is to play a better CF in CF.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I posted this last week but never got a comment. I still think it's viable.

Giants get Ohtani and Jake Meyers.

Astros get Alex Cobb and Mike Yastrzemski from Giants.

Angels get:
    Giants #4 Carson Whisenhunt,
    Giants #6 Vaun Brown
    Giants #7 Aeverson Atreaga
    Astros #2 Jacob Melton
    Astros #6 Pedro Leon
    Astros #11 Misael Tamarez.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I disagree about the value and potential liability of a CF arm.

Htown Legend likes this.
  5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How many times during a season does a centerfielder get a chance to throw someone out at home which the only time arm strength is at play.

George Springer has had only 15 assists in his career at centerfield, and I doubt even half those assists are at home plate.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t know where you’re getting those prospect rankings but Misael Tamares has very little trade value right now. That package going to LA is a pu pu platter of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tier prospects. If the Angels trade Ohtani they are going to get 2-3 ELITE prospects or equivalent MLBers.

raining threes and toby like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Is there any objective measure that supports your position? DRS/OAA/UZR all support that Chas makes enough plays with his feet in CF to make him a more valuable CF than LF even with the lanky arm.

8. toby

toby Member

We need to get ready for an inning eater, marginal help in the bullpen, and a lateral move in the field (but maybe not the last one). We aren't going to be able to out bid many (if any) teams for major players. Most teams think they are in the hunt for a playoff spot. The math isn't that complicated. Swing for the fences, sure . . . but we are going to battle and banking on heath being additions to the team. If our current roster can't say healthy . . . we don't have the ammo to trade to make up for injuries. Chalk it up to WBC and pitch clock and move on to 2024.

SuraGotMadHops and ac in austin like this.
  9. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Yordan is our left fielder. Put that great arm and his even greater bat together with his average fielding metrics and you get an incomparably valuable left fielder. If you know of a better one I would like to hear about him. Additionally Yordan and Diaz can not both play DH at the same time so unless you want Diaz to sit on the bench Yordan is our left fielder. Chas is our center fielder and Tucker is our right fielder. together they are a championship outfield. Why would you **** with it? Yordan is our left fielder.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

There's
    There is plenty that prove how bad his arm is. I would need to look deeper to see what info is out there that shows how much throwing helps/hurts

11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Our bullpen is fine if you add Stroman and Urquidy to the rotation and use a couple of our makeshift starters as long relievers there is no reason to add an arm, and no place to put one.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't know when MLB.COM Prospect rankings were last updated but that's where I got them.

If the Angels want fewer, higher ranked prospects I understand but I think these 6 prospects are better than " a pu pu platter"

Per mlb.com
    1 grade 55 prospect
    3 grade 50 prospects
    2 grade 45 prospects.

Maybe after mid-season grades these guys drop and the names need to change, but think it would be really tough to turn down 6 legitimate prospects for a rental even if it is Ohtani.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Grade 45 prospects are the definition of a pu pu platter, and most grade 50 prospects by MLB.com standards are as well.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We want Diaz to play catcher.

15. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Our manager does not agree.

16. SuraGotMadHops

Exactly, and I would be satisfied if the first two you mention get done. I am ok with improving on the margins.

17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Someone copied it so I saw it and I had to call my mommy and cry about it. How could you!!

just kidding, all good. Many have said much worse to me. I just don’t think we should **** with yordan in left, chas in center, and Tucker in right. That’s our outfield and Bellinger in center sucks. **** that guy.

raining threes likes this.
  18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think Yordan is currently a Spot starter in LF. His health is key. I say again McCormick is a top end 4th OFer. He can start but not really a starter. Like every MLB player ups and downs.
    Verdugo would be a solid add. He is a #2 hitter that gets on base and that what we need he can spot start CF but would be a LFer here.

As for SP Marcus Stroman or Bust.
    I would live to add Dylan Carlson to see if we could get him to turn a corner as a hitter.

19. raining threes

Bellinger is actually quite good in cf.

20. raining threes

Bellinger is actually quite good in cf.