1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Warriors - Vegas Summer League 7/13/2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 13, 2023.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

All of this is exactly right. Cam's perceived attitude is part of why he fell. He's not exactly warm and fuzzy, but he's a balla. Period! Coach him up and get out of the way...

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Samuels and Days played well too.

randerson and daywalker02 like this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

this is so true. watching randoms just play real basketball is so much more entertaining than what ever the hell we were watching last season.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I really like this nick but nicks are earned. Rooks don’t get em, they get stripped of them most every time.

I hope we’re all calling him “Cam I Am” after he wins a chip but Sam I Am is taken. Cassell is a legend around here.

BamBam likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t see a lack of effort either and I honestly don’t find his interviews or statements to be odd …. But a number of people do believe he looks disinterested and has a flat demeanor.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Jeff Van Fleet... that dude has that type of name that says, 'video game draftee 10 seasons after you started your franchise campaign'.

7. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Definitely shoots it with ease like 13.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dominating Summer League.

Swags are back!

Ren ason likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be fair, I would not pass judgment on someone's personality, demeanor or someone's moral code based on G League level Summer League just yet.

Folks also change, Dwight was a good Christian boy coming into the league and he just went 180 degrees fully embracing lavish NBA lifestyle.

Production also tends to fall off once folks are getting paid.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I have heard he has been very vocal on the court. I'm pretty sure this guy isn't a guy that wants all the fake looking at me, full of myself pride bull crap that most young players are now days. Watching the documentary about him and his family showed me he cares about his actions actually on the court. I think the Rockets got to steal here. He's already better than Josh and he hasn't been dry humped.

#351 Madmanmetz, Jul 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
    Hakeemtheking and clos4life like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Cam has a lot of similarities to 19 year old Jaylen Brown. Gifted physically with a nack to find the rim but still lacks court awareness and ball skills at a high level.

Let's see how he develops because there is an avenue he can become what Jaylen Brown is today. That's probably his highest ceiling comp.

randerson and clos4life like this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I saw one incident in last night’s game when he didn’t get the ball when wide open and he momentarily stood still when the ball was inbounded. Shortly thereafter, he was substituted for. I think he has been great and very focused all summer league long. That one small incident showed me the coaches are not going to take sh*t off of anyone this year.

Depending on how pre-season goes, KPJ and/or Tate may have to be traded to get him and Amen minutes. We are still developing players and those 2 have too much potential to sit on the bench or go to RGV for most of the year. It is a good problem to have. Days, Hudgins, and Mayer look like keepers to me at RGV and may need to get some two way contracts to keep them away from other teams (not sure how that works).

It is going to be a real dogfight for minutes and defensive intensity is going to say a lot about who plays and who doesn’t.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Unfortunately what you said about Tate is true. Tate is a good guy to have on the court and in the locker room but ya in prioritizing Whitmore developing over Tate's precense. We got FVV, uncle Green and Brooks as our vet leaders so I'm fine with letting Tate go.

KPJ, I want to see him execute the role of microwave scorer off the bench before letting him go. Also KPJ provides really good competition in training camp and practice for a player like Green to not be merely handed a spot in the line up and earn it instead.

15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The whole "body language" thing was 1 component that made him drop in the draft. But it is a misread. He is just "locked in" and that is how he looks. One can't say he isn't putting in effort if the guy had 8 steals. After the game did you see Udoka meet Cam at midcourt? Udoka had a long talk with Cam and was ALL SMILES during it. Udoka loved what he saw.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JERMAINE SAMUELS FOR FRANCHISE PLAYER. DESERVES ITS OWN THREAD.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah. Samuels is gonna get on a Rockets 2-way or even a roster spot. I think Samuels is the likely Tate replacement. They have similar games but Samuels is 4 years younger, a better 3pt shooter and is 3" taller. He played 5 years at Villanova. Sullivan said they can throw any game tape or adjustment on him and he gets it immediately.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Miami has been finding those glues and shooters amongst undrafteds.....other teams should be doing that as well.

saleem likes this.
  20. mightybosstone

I've caught a good chunk of all four games, and he's the one guy who passes the "how have I not heard of this guy?" test. He just always seems to be in the right spot or make the right play. Good size, solid defender, hustles, can shoot, etc. His G-League stats are solid last year: 18/9/3/1/1 while shooting 67%(!!!) from the floor and 46% from 3 in a small sample size (1.2 attempts per game). He's older (24), but there's a lot to like there. Not a future All-Star, but a guy who could be the 12th guy on the bench for a while and maybe get a shot down the line due to injuries or trades.

I try not to get excited about those end of the bench guys, but he's played well enough in Summer League to warrant getting a shot to make the roster. If it's not in Houston, I hope someone else gives him a shot.