1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 6: Green & Redemption

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 5, 2023.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

[​IMG]

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

People are sleeping on the impacts FVV is going to have on Jalen's game. His efficiency, which is really what the original scouting report suggested he could become elite at, is going to remarkably improve.

Green is going to look EXCEPTIONAL in lineups featuring both FVV + KPJ because the other team's best perimeter defenders will now be forced to stick on their assignment rather than helping on all drives, which is something that happened a lot last year. Green is only becoming a better athlete (dude will turn 22 this year) and his best trait is his lightening fast first step.

With the addition of Fred, combined with a different offensive scheme, I think opposing defenses will now have to "pick their poison" in terms being able to defend our 3 guard lineup which should give our highest offensive rating. I think the small ball lineup of FVV/Green/KPJ/Brooks/Smith will be able to matchup with smaller NBA teams and could be so fun to watch. If you just send KPJ and Brooks to the corners and Green is going to have lanes wider than he's probably ever seen.

I just really love how many different looks we are going to be able to give teams this year. I'm so excited.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Green needs to focus on drawing fouls, he doesn't have the greatest touch around the rim. He should be looking for contact, it's a free 2 points. He has the body to be a Kevin Martin type of foul drawer.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No surprise there tbh. Did anyone on the roster improve defensively other than whatever they were by game 20 of their career?

I feel like the team especially learned nothing about defense the past couple of seasons. Jalen got here as a high schooler with 1 month of bubble g league experience. High schoolers are never good defenders with good fundamentals. It would have been nice to develop more of that his first two years but the team defense could not hold up anyway.

If Jalen responds to Udoka's coaching - i.e. improve defense and shot selection - he will start impacting wins. He's not an unwilling defender, just lacks any fundamentals or experience for good defense. He seems a higher motor defender than Beal, Lavine and Booker were at this stage of their career. I can't see him not giving the effort easily for Udoka - he's always seemed very coachable.

What we primarily need from him is 25 plus points on 20 or less shots plus 4-5 assists. As long as we're getting good defensive effort from him, we have built a team where we can even hide him better.

Ancient Moabite and OremLK like this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Also these are singular defensive stats. Dom isn't the be all end all of evaluating someone.

Mathloom likes this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

As meh as I’ve been on greens play . He still has all the tools (and some positive indicators ) that he can be a positive impact player for us this year .

IF his athleticism and conditioning translate on defense

IF he continues to get to the line at a strong rate with decreased usage

IF he improves his shooting just a little bit .. he will become a “good” player

my lack of excitement for green has not been based on his lack of tools - tho he was very small rookie year . It’s been the effort didn’t really tick up , his game didn’t change too much .. he just got a bit better at it (likely because he got stronger and more athletic) .

now , that’s probably happened again this offseason . But he needs to change how he plays in order to fit with others . That’s something that’s kind of natural as a player to do … and I feel like he’s struggled . Tate , kpj , sengun . Those guys play different with different players .

green needs to get connected into the team mindset .

he’s got to really dedicate himself to defense and defensive communication. Otherwise think kpj and Tate will beat him out for guard. FVV is guaranteed starting 1 if healthy . We could play small . But he’s competing for mins at the 3 with Dillon brooks .

Jabari / tari / Sengun is going to be hard to keep off the floor . Jabari might still be a year or two away from his nba body , but if he gets hot and swagger from 3 he’s like a good Christian wood .

idk . I believe this roster has been put together to maximize the guys who have shown the desire and want-to on the floor and push green .

I didn’t even mention Amen and cam . 2 more athletes that could be on greens par . Can Green fit his gifts into what is best for the team ?

jalen green doesn’t need redemption. We failed him as much as he failed his first year and the second was at least in the right direction.

The 3rd year is big for everyone and he is no exception.

I don’t think it will be make or break for his career . But I think if he’s going to be a superstar we will see a peek.

Ancient Moabite and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

9. fchowd0311

Man the comments. Humpgate won't go away any time soon.

YaoMac09 and Fullcourt like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, Green was already a laughing stock ON the court, now he's a laughing stock OFF the court.

If he ever turns into even a halfway decent player, I imagine the laughter will stop....but that's a big hill to climb.

11. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

With Cam Whitmore emerging to be a steal at 20th draft pick, plus the equally good performances of Trevor Hudgins, Darius Day, and Matthew Mayer, I've seen enough.

Trade Jalen Green for a bag of sour cream chips.

Cam Whitmore can play shooting guard. His offense alone can replace Jalen Green.

Send Jalen Green to the WNBA.

https://youtube.com/shorts/NPb_Qdsw_So?feature=share

#351 dfbreyes, Jul 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  12. Rokman

Rokman Member

Where did you get your crystal ball? I've been shopping for one for years and had no luck.

13. Rokman

Rokman Member

Looks like Udoka was saying - "Don't be sitting next to me with them b!tch ass fingernails."

14. Ish

Ish Member

Idk why ppl complain about him painting his nails..it's super common for Filipino heritage men to paint their nails..it's been increasing more and more in the Philippines

Mathloom and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. fchowd0311

People making character claims about Green and his work ethic because he paints his nails tells me more about the person who makes that observation than Jalen Green himself

16. MystikArkitect

Udoka going to snap a pool stick in half and drop it in front of Green and Porter like the Joker did in the Dark Knight.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What stands out is that they did all they could to hide Jalen Green on defense and be was still absolutely terrible.

We get caught up talking about how Jalen was inefficient on offense and sometimes that takes away from what a joke he was on defense.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Non secksual.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

Who dis?

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Our Wing Commander. ;)

Get us over the Dry hump.