1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You don't seem to understand, no one has an issue with him hitting low 40% from the field as part of the overall package of what he brings. No one believes he's going to be allowed to consistently take poor shots under Udoka.

You're mad alone with your phone/laptop. You can believe whatever you want too.

roslolian and cbass like this.
  2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Props to VanVleet showing up to support the team... I see everyone on the team there EXCEPT Dillon Brooks.

I hope he doesn't become a toxic locker room guy... judging by his past and antics, it's hard to not believe he won't.

clos4life and Mathloom like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Is he signed already? I don't think the trade is finalized yet as Rox still have some capspace they are looking into.

Also given how much negative press he had with his antics might be good to not show up in public yet.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I tend to overthink body language, but if you watch Udoka's interview during the summer league game he nods as every new Rocket is mentioned except when Brooks is mentioned. Brooks was mentioned in the middle of the list so he stops nodding for Brooks and then resumes nodding after.

Was interesting but obviously it could be nothing.

amaru, RocketsFido and jch1911 like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ton-rockets-free-agency-overview-18187042.php

“First, they’re really good basketball players who have won a lot of games and not by accident,” Rockets general manager Rafael Stone said. “We really wanted to add veteran players who still fit our timeline and knew how to win. And we think we accomplish that.”

“I think he’s a little unique in that he obviously is a very good offensive player to help get the team organized, make sure everybody is where they’re supposed to be,” Stone said. “But he’s also someone that has really flourished off the ball, is a really talented 3-point shooter, and someone who has been truly excellent defensively. With Fred we feel like we’re really lucky we got somebody that really has a bunch of strengths and no weaknesses.

6. jch1911

jch1911 Member

In my heart and in my head, I honest to God think that Stone is out to show EVERYBODY that he is an analytical genius / savant who truly knows basketball by signing Brooks to this deal. He will be proven to smarter than your average bear.

This may end up being the thing that gets him fired.

I think Udoka let him dig that plot knowing full well he couldn't talk him out of it.

We will see, but the evidence points to this signing as a disaster.

My other thought was that Brooks' agents are friends of Stone and he did them a solid. When you look at Brooks' agents, he is by far 1 of their biggest clients (Jamal Murray, Shaedon Sharpe help make up their big 3)..

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Brooks showed up to the SL but he's at the Grizzlies game hugging with old GM and coach. Interesting he didn't show up for Rockets game to support our rooks but still supporting the Grizzlies front office who left him out to dry. I think dude forgot who's paying him 80mil/4year.

clos4life likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Both are true, Wood still hasn't been properly coached, Jason Kidd is awful.

I am hopeful that FVV can get his shooting % up.

I do like his leadership potential for this team.

DD

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Signed to the Rockets, supporting the team that said he would not be brought back. Shameful. Thanks Stone.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

OMG he didn't show up to our summer league game . Crazy what you all care about. In very sure he will start building chemistry with our guys soon. So he likes his old teammates, it's okay. He will be dry humping Jalen some day, don't worry.

amaru and HTownTmac1 like this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Don't really care who Dillon watches play in SL. I just want his shot attempts under 10 per game & higher quality.

anthony59237 and clos4life like this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

"With Fred we feel like we’re really lucky we got somebody that really has a bunch of strengths and no weaknesses" -Stone

no wonder he paid him the max, how can you not when you think the guy has zero weaknesses?!

Tuckmose and clos4life like this.
  13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I, too, like guys on my team that don't support his teammates /s

clos4life likes this.
  14. clos4life

clos4life Member

I work for Apple, Google just paid me huge amount of money to jump ship after Apple aid they were letting me go. During the industry 's summer conference, the day I sign my contract, I go hang out in Apple's booth and hug it with everyone.

Sure, doesn't matter.:rolleyes:

YaoMac09 likes this.
  15. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

And the Google guys were right there, too.

clos4life likes this.
  16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You guys REALLY hate Stone lol

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

In the booth right next to them.

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Don't hate Stone... but that Villain signing just defies logic (in terms of length and amount of $$$).

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wood's problem ain't shooting percentage.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#1060 zeeshan2, Jul 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    xtruroyaltyx likes this.