1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Josh Christopher is mistake

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 4, 2023.

1. marinara

marinara Member

Like TyTy sitting while being a Rookie while an undrafted player who has the worst NBA game ever statically plays?

Was it worth playing Matthews more than Josh Christopher?

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Clutch himself confirmed that Lopez already agreed and then backed out. It's also been leaked in NBA reddit.

You really think FO would just dump 3 guys if they didn't have a deal ready? Maybe Lopez did indeed agree and just use the Rockets as leverage, but how are the Rockets supposed to avoid that? Anybody can lie, these agreements are made on good faith until they can sign the contract.

#62 roslolian, Jul 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
    evo8lover likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

We were tanking, Nix got us Amen.

Matthews and JC are both scrubs who cares who got PT between them? JC couldn't even beat out guys in SL who didn't make their NBA teams.

4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He didn't have much chances on the court (and when he did he played the worst defense I've ever seen) but he was there in practice every day and Stone saw that and still decided that he was worth literally nothing. 60 guys get drafted every year and most of them turn into nothing. Josh might become something but it's not worth just having him chilling on the bench doing nothing for another year. I'm pretty sure Tyty won't be anything cause he was even less impressive. We need higher standards when it comes to these useless "flashes". Lillard's cousin Brandon Williams averaged 25 a game for 2 weeks 2 years ago and he's not even in the league. Yes, even nobodies can look good for stretches.

5. marinara

marinara Member

It has also been leaked that Houston " honoured " the verbal agreements with other teams, and the trades were completed after Lopez rejected Houston but Stone did the trades out of " good faith "

6. marinara

marinara Member

Josh looked fine until they wanted him to be a PG

fattz likes this.
  7. a time to chill

I’m not arguing whether draft capital was misused. I agree with that. But Lopez wasn’t the reason Christopher was traded. He was going to be dealt regardless because the organization wanted vets. Christopher was part of the sign and trade with Memphis for Dillon Brooks.

I don’t agree with the sentiment that Silas set them up to fail. It’s obvious that the front-office had a low valuation on TyTy, Garuba, and Christopher because they were dealt before Udoka took over. Fertitta even said during Udoka’s press conference that Stone did a good, but not perfect job in the draft. Now it’s clear who they saw were the mistakes.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah and that's part of doing business and maintaining relationships with other teams. Maybe you haven't realized it but it takes 2 parties to make trades. If you get known as the guy who cancels done trades what you think happens to your reputation and how many teams gonna be willing to trade with you in the future?

evo8lover likes this.
  9. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I don't want to invest in a guy who can look fine. Some people might have trauma from the last 3 years but it's time to have some standards. We want prospects who can become good not fine. There's dozens of fine players who sign for tiny contracts every year. I'm not worrying about losing a guy who can become the next Cory Joseph.

roslolian and YOLO like this.
  10. marinara

marinara Member

I don't know but still dumped 3 first rounders for nothing and gave away KJ for 2 second rounders instead of taking a low first rounder last season.

Good relationships but we got screwed in the end.

11. marinara

marinara Member

I am fairly sure most people were pretty high on JC after his rookie season before the summer league last season.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Whst the hell is the difference between 2 2nd rounders and a low first rounder?

Calling JC, Garuba and Tyty 3 first rounders is like calling signing Kwame Brown getting the no 1 pick. They were dumped for nothing as they were barely worth anything. Maybe if you hard bargained you can get a 2nd rounder for each of them. But according to you 2nd rounders are barely anything either.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah and then SL happened and he turned into a scrub.

14. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Cause people here don't have standards. That same off season there were threads about Khryi Thomas the triple double machine being in our core. People looooved Mason Jones. You do something cute for 5 minutes in garbage time and people here are all over you. Like I said, that can't cut it anymore. We're running out of rotation minutes to give to actually good players, we can't waste any on players that might be ok at best. Also, a lot of people here only watch the Rockets so they don't realize that there are 200 of these generic could be ok guys in the league.

roslolian likes this.
  15. marinara

marinara Member

I agree overall that his a role player at best, but that still doesn't make me happy we gave we gave assets for nothing.

Back to the draft capital, as someone who likes KPJ we wouldn't have had to dump players if Stone had waited another 12 months to give him a contract.

16. TimDuncanDonaut

Someone can make a poll; out of the lot; Garuba, Tyty, Christopher, and KJ, who likely will have a better NBA career.

KJ being older and was a part-time starter last year had more visibility. But am genuinely curious if we return in 2-3 years how this crop of players pan out in the league. Which one of the four ends up having the best career.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

KPJ is worth more than the 3 musketeers. I'd rather lock him up on his unguaranteed contract a year early than keep the 3 musketeers and then possibly run into capspace issues a year later.

You are so obsessed with the 3 musketeers you are losing all logic and reason. These are all very replaceable players the 2 Rox two ways Darius Days and Trevor Hudgins have as much value as the 3 musketeers. They aren't worth much cuz they couldn't even get PT on a 20 win team.

18. marinara

marinara Member

He would have been a RFA with a hold of what 6 million?

I'm obsessed with the way that the assets were handled. I only liked Josh out of the 3 doesn't change my opinion that we mismanaged assets, which is worrying for how Stone builds the team going forward. Not about the actual players but the 3 first round picks which we paid a team and gave them more assets just to take that is my point.

19. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

No doubt, KJM will haunt us for years to come. Never seen a guy his size jump so quickly and block 7 footers on a regular basis. Tate who is older and has 1/10 the talent and 4x the salary was chosen over KJM. Two late 2nds and one being handed over to Memphis for taking Mills off our hands makes me want to vomit.

20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

No doubt, KJM will haunt us for years to come. Never seen a guy his size jump so quickly and block 7 footers on a regular basis. Tate who is older and has 1/10 the talent and 4x the salary was chosen over KJM. Two late 2nds and one being handed over to Memphis for taking Mills off our hands makes me want to vomit.