1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Horford could guard kd?

2. maj21

maj21 Member

Nobody’s opinion matters other than Ime’s. Sengun isn’t versatile enough defensively to do that.

3. maj21

maj21 Member

Sengun isn’t Horford. Also, Tatum and Brown were on KD. They played Tatum at the 4 a lot

Ren ason likes this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

i get what u are saying. But for limited periods of time I don’t think it’s an insurmountable issue.

5. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Imagine not knowing what the word "most" means and then trying to act superior. Back in your box.

6. maj21

maj21 Member

He’s not. The rockets also feel that way, otherwise they wouldn’t be looking for a new starter

Ren ason likes this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sengun is for sure strictly a center in the nba, but Ime played two center together in Boston and had the number 1 defense in the league. I understand that Sengun is no where near Horford on defense but I’m also not expecting the number 1 defense, it’s possible Ime could construct a top 15 defense with Sengun and Lopez. I’m just spitballing, I have zero problem with just going with Lopez and Jabari/Tari if that’s the decision.

OremLK likes this.
  8. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

I don’t think you understand how good Brook Lopez is defensively, and how much having a defensive C anchor matters more than who your 4 is on that end.

Lopez played a ton of minutes with Bobby Portis, a slow footed bad defensive big. Those lineups were 96th percentile defensively.

Gobert and KAT played a ton of minutes together. 98th percentile defensively.

The questions, if any, would be offensive spacing and movement.

zeeshan2, OremLK and CXbby like this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sengun isn’t Horford, but answer the question, can horford guard kd? Because they started Horford with rob will. Nothing stopping us from using our 3 to guard kd like they did with Tatum.

10. kpdark

kpdark Member

this signing

-starts the initial moves in setting things in order

Aruba77 likes this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Between how good Lopez is on defense and how bad our guards were last year navigating pnr defense which made Sengun look worse than he is

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am still on the fence. I'd be all for it if it was two years. Not sure if some other team was pushing the Rockets to concede the third year. They've been saying that they were looking only for 2-year deals.

I wonder now what they are going to do with Amen. You now have a max guy on long term at the position Amen is supposed to occupy in the future. Hopefully both guys do great so we can trade one of them for a good haul.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Says you. Another incorrect opinion

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He is. And Ime has endorsed him multiple times. They aren’t looking for a starter, they’re looking for a different type of player as a mentor. That’s if they get Lopez

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

KD isn’t a 4

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And Horford and Alp aren’t much different athletically

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Given the options, this is a great pickup. Good passing floor general who can shoot threes, great locker room guy. Exactly what we needed. Harden and Irving are more talented but they're older and look at their careers. This guy is in his prime physically, knows the value of hard work and hustle and I think he can bring this team to the next level.

As for you guys who are b****ing about the cost, you sound like ****ing Boomers complaining about the price of eggs. It's 2023, prices are 19% higher than they were four years ago.

There are capologists and economists here that can break it down better, but I don't think we overpaid significantly for FVV. This isn't Kelvin Cato or Chandler Parsons with the Mavs. This deal has good value.

DreamShook likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not about Brook Lopez, it's about having a slow footed center out there on the court next to him....if you want to set the team up for failure, fine, but Playing Lopez and Sengun together on a team that already has to deal with Jalen Green being one of the worst defensive players in the league is a recipe for disaster.

I know there's a lot of people more concerned about Sengun's playing time than they are the best interests of the team and that's fine....just admit it if that's the case.

maj21 likes this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

So who is Sengun guarding?

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Amen and 6’7 with a 7 foot wing span and fvv is a great catch and shoot player that can play off ball. Why can’t they play together?

Easy and OremLK like this.