1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

undrafted, undersized player, who through hard work and perseverance reached the greatest heights, doesn't sound like a leader to you? that doesn't sound like a role model, mentor, someone a young player can learn from?

slothy420, dreamshakin, cbass and 6 others like this.
  2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Meh. He’s on a broken Lakers team, he should be crying at his own situation.

AroundTheWorld and ramotadab like this.
  3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

What video? Have seen it referenced multiple times but tweets are deleted.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Lemao James is a massive cornball who's also not very bright. So no, not deliberate, he just is.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That contract gives me more ragrets than that moron with the no ragurts tattoo.

6. Downtown Sniper

How old is LeBron's youngest kid? Does he get him to write his tweets?

How is this guy a grown man and speaking like this, and not embarrassed? Goodness gracious.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

FVV got an annual salary higher than his FG%

small, inefficient, injury prone PG

if you’re making max money, u better lead this team to the postseason at the very least…that’s my expectation

anthony59237 likes this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

He’s only 29, page 29, love the guy so I am happy!! Had to move away from KPJ and Jalen back court.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

FVF and Jalen backcourt may be potent offensively but are for sure going to be so trash defensively

jcmoon and astros123 like this.
  10. Downtown Sniper

Yawn.

Now do all the intangibles.

You know, the things FVV was actually brought here for.

11. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Why is FVV championship caliber? Because he came off the bench in a Toronto championship led by Kawhi, Lowry and Siakim? Because he’s option 2A/B on a mediocre Toronto since Kawhi left? Why are Raptors fans clowning the Rockets? If he’s such a great culture setter then why wouldn’t Toronto want him as they rebuild?

Rocket River likes this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

FVV is a good defender though, don't let his size fool you. Similar to how CP3 and Lowry have always been solid defensive players despite being similarly sized. At least in the regular season--from our perspective it doesn't matter how good FVV is defensively in the playoffs, we're just hoping to get there at all.

Green, yeah, if he doesn't make dramatic improvements, is going to get taken advantage of by SGs. Let's see what Ime can do with him though. He's bulked up some and of course he has the athleticism to keep up with guys.

VoR, cbass and sealclubber1016 like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Except that VanVleet is really good on defense.

14. Downtown Sniper

24 pages through this thread so far and one thing is apparent.

There is a HUGE divide in Clutchfans between smart posters and ones that don't quite grasp the intricacies of basketball.

Have seen it on a much smaller scale previously, like 5 KPJ fans against the rest of Clutchfans showing their stupidity.

But not to this scale before.

It's fascinating.

15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I am not thrilled by the signing but I think we need to rethink what max contract really means in today's nba. There are more max contracts than there are playoff spots, not every player who gets a max is assured to lead their team to the playoffs. I think in today's nba max player does not equal franchise player

Boki4MvP, VoR and sealclubber1016 like this.
  16. Downtown Sniper

There's still time to edit your comment guy.

topfive likes this.
  17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

His teams were mediocre once theThe Claw and Bulldog left. FVV isn't it.

topfive likes this.
  18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I don't know much about FVV, but why there are so many videos about FVV sucks on Tiktok?

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm not a big FVV fan (and definitely not a FVVOF), but I'm okay with this signing. I see Fred as a stopgap, someone to get us to the point where our young core are really starting to hit their stride, at which point we'll cut him lose and spend that money on someone else. If he does happen to get us into the playoffs this year or next, I'll have to rethink letting him go when his contract's up.

Boki4MvP and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Don't think anybody is saying he's a superstar. Even Luka couldn't carry his team this season.

He's a complementary player on a championship team. Is it kind of ridiculous to pay max money to a guy like that? Yes, but how else we going to get a guy good enough to start on a championship contender? If all we're going to pay is fair market value, they'll go to those teams instead.

Read the room, no free agent wants to play for us unless we offer way more money than anyone else.

Just going to have to hope we get 1-2 players truly worth max money out of our homegrown core to make up for overpaying on FVV.

duluth111222 and kubli9 like this.