1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Right but I mean can you tell me the next FA coming up that will get a max contract? Doesn’t seem to be anyone coming up(maybe harden but doubt it) that gets one. The guy is getting more money per year than kyrie.

I do like his defensive approach

deb4rockets and Williamson like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Okay, maybe it was worth paying FVV for this

phasors28 likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

In my head right now, I am stuck with “well we have this money to spend to hit the floor and we want to make him a priority”, and there’s no one better out there, and I get that we will have stable pg play and a culture setter and all that. He just comes with a lot of cons that I can’t justify that contract

Rocket River likes this.
  4. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

There is a hidden value in paying FVV this much that people don’t seem to understand. The fact that he’s getting 40 million means he is the unquestioned leader of the team. Tyus Jones might be a better value but you think KPJ will follow him when he knows he makes more?

FVV is the man now. His reputation is sterling. How obvious was the need of a leader after the joke of Silas and the rudderless pickup game type atrocity we witnessed.

Ime first and FVV second. There is no cost that is too high when it comes to changing how the young guys that remain learn the game.

duluth111222 likes this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean I agree in a vacuum but FVV is a better defender and better leader and better fit next to the young guys and is who Udoka preferred. He's also cheaper.

6. Rokman

Rokman Member

What Id like to understand is how much time the #4 pick in the draft is gonna get on the court. You just picked a top lottery talent to be your primary playmaker and then bumped him to the bench for a free agent Maxed out point guard. I know they want to develop Amen but Damn, that's really pushing him deep to the bench.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's going to be interesting to see how many people come around to this signing in the coming days and months. I would have preferred a smaller deal - less money and one less year, but I've come around to the fact that if this is what it took to get him, they had to do it. And if having a smart decision maker with the ball in his hands and a total pro leading this young team accelerates the growth of the kids, then this is actually a steal. Like can you imagine if guys as physically gifted as Jalen and Amen pick up the work habits and effort of FVV? Not saying that will definitely happen, but if it does it's over for the whole league.

sydmill likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think the Wizards plan to trade Tyus at all.

slothy420 likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

20 pts. 7 Asst 1.1 Stls 3.5 TO 3.2 Rebs. = 47 million Dollar Tank Commander
    19 pts 7 Asst 1.8 Stls. 2.0 TO 4.1 Rebs = 43 million Dollar Team Savior

Or are we expecting MORE than these numbers. . . . .
    I wonder which wins out .. . "Advaance stats" or "Eye test" guys

Rocket River

palmsnbananas likes this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think the Wizards plan to trade Tyus at all.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[
    [
    I think Harden's ability to single handedly make your HC offense go from literal worst in NBA to top 10-15 or higher translates to more immediate wins than FVV defensive presence, because it honestly doesn't matter how good he is on the ball if he has Sengun and Green and the rest of the weak links out there next to him

13. dmoneybangbang

Of course not. I just don't think that's the right way to look at it.

FVV got his bag as the kids say. It's a big overpay despite the rising cap, but at least it takes some of the sting off.

14. xaos

xaos Member

40M per year will not be that much in 3 years lol

bro2044 likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Again, not saying I disagree necessarily. It probably does for this upcoming year. But FVV will be better longterm for Jalen & Amen & Sengun than Harden would have been. And Udoka clearly didn't want Harden, so I'm cool with trusting his opinion.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah i read that from Woj but I'm a bit dubious of anything that comes through any of the insiders at this point given the shipment of fail they collectively delivered this month.

Every single thing Woj or Shams or even minor lower wattage guys like Iko tweet, say or type is floated to advance somebody's agenda. Player, team, camp, whatever

I feel a long thread coming on.

1/678...

DaDakota likes this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Cap has gone up since some of those contracts. Yeah he's overpaid but why worry about that on only a 3 year deal? It's not like it's a 5 year deal that Jerami Grant got. The Rockets had to overpay to get someone with legit talent and a good fit to walk into the locker room.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yea that’s an overpay for bane but I get it. He’s 25, just averaged 21.5 pts and 40.8 percent from 3

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Forever known as the $ 43 Million Vleet.

May he have One Good Year out of 3.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Holy sh*t man. It just never ends with you does it? Negative post after negative post after negative post. I mean good grief.

AroundTheWorld likes this.