1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agent Target: Fred VanVleet (UFA)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Yep. Bogdan contract pretty appealing, one of the best knock down shooters when healthy.

Thought Hawks would try and trade him for salary relief but they opted to axe Collins.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

Why would a 6-1 non-athletic dude take contested jumpers? That shouldn't be his thing.

4. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

It may come down to the years.
    Say TOR is willing to go $32.5m over 4 years and we offer $40m over 2 years.
    4-$130m vs 2-$80m and he'd probably take the 4 year security with the team he knows,

BUT, would we add an extra year and go 3-$120m with a player option for year 3?
    That could be the game changer but I don't know if I want to add the 3rd year at THAT salary!

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I will heave a giant sigh of relief if JVV re-signs with the Raptors. He is the absolute anti-Christ to our re-build.

Plowman likes this.
  6. mightybosstone

In what way? Also, who's JVV?

Drift Monkey and sirjesse like this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

That's a lot of coin; it's tradeoff for a shorter deal. I might even be strangely OK with it.

mightybosstone and rfrocket like this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

Fo sho'. 40m per 2yr is way too rich for Raptor's blood. But I'm hoping Rockets can get maybe get it down to low/mid $30 mil.

FVV's entire career earning is 80m. Sounds like he can almost get 50% of that in two years; be crazy not to take it (if true). He also has a ring already. I guess being a Klutch client really do pay off.

9. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Agreed.
    I said in another thread I'd be okay with 2-$80m.
    This is just 3.6 more.
    2 years fits our timeline perfectly and FVV would be a easily tradable expiring contract next year if Amen improves rapiidly his rookie year.

10. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Yep, 2 years is actually just good. Makes him a good trade asset after a year

11. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Jeff Van Vleet, Fred's cousin and bitter rival to Jeff Van Gundy

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Fred is the best player on the market not named James Harden or Kyrie Irving. Adding him would solidify our backcourt. Get this done!

sirjesse, OremLK and Hank McDowell like this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sorry, FVV. Because FVV is a chucker that requires the ball in his hands. His defense has regressed as well as his 3 pt shot. He is just another KPJ at 35-40m a year. The half-court will run through Sengun at least 1/2 the time and this is great for his progression and fits with the speed of Green on cutters and pick and rolls (which they execute very well) and moves KPJ to a spot up shooter which he does very well. We need vets that help these guys learn the NBA not guys like FVV who sees himself as a star and clearly isn’t.

14. a time to chill

Do you think the Rockets would be doing this if they drafted Scoot?

15. TimDuncanDonaut

Probably not. In our scenario, a vet guard is the way to go. Need Green/Bari/Sengun/Tari to be evaluated in a stable environment; so the money/number on those guys' rookie extension is clear in the next couple years.

16. thekad

thekad Member

$40m a year for FVV is hilarious and par for the course for this front office.

“It’s not the money, it’s the years!” says Patty and his parrots. Except you’re willingly adding a negative asset that doesn’t even move the needle on the court and is merely looking to collect a paycheck.

Hemingway likes this.
  17. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of this one at all. I'd rather keep the flexibility for next year's FA than be locked into FVV.

BenjaminChen likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets are clearly taking the capspace in 2 years approach, and it's a good one. If they're going to severely overpay someone, FVV is as good as any. He can shoot, plays a position where we need veteran presence, and pushing Amen to the bench is all good.

At $40mil this probably mean the Rockets are then signing Dillon Brooks and calling it an offseason, cause they won't have much else to work with unless it's a minor deal.

bro2044 likes this.
  20. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I'm not that familiar with his game but I'm reading that he's a surprisingly good defender despite his small size. If he can guard opposing 2s then he'd be a good fit with Jalen.