1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need a interior defender. If we do not get Lopez we are going after Jakob Poeltl. I heard Cleveland would trade Jarrett Allen but they would want two or three player for him. They need a better SF and a bench. They are comfortable with Mobley playing Center but they need a true 3 and D and bench scoring. For Jarrett Allen, I would give them KJ, Tate and maybe Tari or a FRP. They need picks and more scoring on their team.

Rokman and sirjesse like this.
  2. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Almost feels like the regular season!

upload_2023-6-27_20-57-22.jpeg

TimDuncanDonaut and DeBeards like this.
  3. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]
    yea sighs...a cruel reality we gotta deal with is...bruh we no longer young, we gonna warm up a little bit earlier than others
    it is wut it is.

TimDuncanDonaut and sirjesse like this.
  4. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Where did you find this rare photo of bill Walton and pistol Pete?!?

DeBeards likes this.
  5. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

man...even tho i feel reluctant to let ya know about that, i gotta admit ya're a connoisseuro_O

sirjesse likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Valanciunas available cheap now. He’s an expiring contract so they can’t ask for much. Excellent one year rental at backup C I think.

Great practice for Sengun too, he bullied Alpi a couple of times last season.

Rudyc281, BaselineFade and saleem like this.
  7. finsraider

finsraider Member

very likely no connection, but there’s all the rumors flying around about Donovan Mitchell to the Nets. Houston has KJM and the Nets picks. Wonder if there’s anything there.

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

KJ, Tate and a 1st for Allen would be a nice trade for both teams.

PG - Veteran / Amen / TyTy
    SG - Green / Porter / Christopher
    SF - Eason / Whitmore
    PF - Smith / Garuba
    ..C - Sengun / Allen

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Oh wow, dude the Cavs they would never accept that. That's a top notch rim protector who has contributed to winning and is on a secure 3 year contract at just $20m/season and he's not even 26 yet. No deficiencies at all, really good in PNR, makes his free throws, good rebounder and shot blocker.

They're only trading him because they have Mobley who can now move to C and they are in desperate need for an elite SF. Not to mention they have absolutely no need for Tate. You're sending him out when his value is lowest ever, so that's us dumping a contract onto them which they wouldn't be interested in. They have plenty of SF's who can play defense but can't make a 3. That's what they're trying to upgrade from.

That pick you're sending out has to be guaranteed in the top 10 or you have to throw in 1-2 more picks which is a significant increase in payment on our side. We should not cough up 2-3 picks for a backup C.

saleem and cbass like this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Please send a link for this news piece.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

San Antonio was known to be waiting with a short-term contract for Reid and the hope of pairing him with Victor Wembanyama in the frontcourt, sources said. Now the Spurs will have to turn to other targets, perhaps someone like Pelicans center Jonas Valanciunas, as New Orleans and San Antonio recently did business on offloading Devonte’ Graham’s contract, and the Pelicans, sources said, have since made Valanciunas available in search of more mobile, rim-protecting big men. New Orleans made one call, sources said, to Cleveland about obtaining Jarrett Allen. Another team that wanted to be in the mix for Reid was Allen’s Cavaliers, sources said. Cleveland would have needed a sign-and-trade avenue to acquire the talented big man. It remains to be seen if the Cavs will continue searching for other frontcourt reserve options behind Allen and Evan Mobley, or if the front office simply valued Reid that highly.
    Source: Yahoo! Sports

Rudyc281 and saleem like this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's great.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1USoCN4gbbq1eqrz1LMINu?si=iK4JJcPxRE6GT8iHTcrjdg&nd=1

JVG: You hear the world culture all the time. It drives me crazy. It’s so cliche. The culture of any team is your best players and what they stand for. The other cliche is accountability. Everyone is “Oh, we need a coach to hold us accountable.” No actually you need players who hold themselves accountable so your coach can just coach. You don’t win with knuckleheads. You don’t win with foolish players. You win with serious professionals.

Stephen Silas unfortunately was the scapegoat for all of the losing. I’m happy for Ime that his view and trying to win is in alignment with ownership and management. I think they call it phase 2. I don’t know what the hell that means. Whatever that means, I love that they’re aligned and trying to win.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He wasn't the scapegoat, he was just not a good coach. The reason for the losing was the youth movement and trying to accelerate development of young players.

For all the Silas truthers, if he were a good coach, why wouldn't he have even gotten any interviews with all the head coaching vacancies this summer?

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I get that Stone hasn't been perfect, but his master plan has been for a while to do the following:
    1. Acquire young players with huge upside which will lead to a lot of busts.
    2. Take risks to acquire higher upside talent even if it ends up being a bust or risks losing good, higher paid current talent.
    3. Prioritize developing players over winning.
    4. Preserving cap space in 2023 even if it costs doing some marginable trades.

Stone has made mistakes (though that was kind of expected), but overall he's done the following:
    1. Tanked to get Green, Smith, and Amen.
    2. Gotten Green, Sengun, Smith, and Eason development time in throw away season.
    3. Made trades involving older players that are no longer under contract, guys that are no longer good, and/or heavily protected FRPs for Sengun, Christopher, Eason, Whitmore, TyTy, 2 unprotected Brooklyn picks, and 2 pick swaps with Brooklyn.
    4. Maintained contracts such that 2023 offseason has plenty of cap space. (I think this part is severely under-rated as Stone could have gotten "better" deals for players if he was willing to sacrifice 2023 cap space).

Overall, I think Stone has executed his plan fairly well. Some of the rumors on how the Rockets plan to use cap space scare me a lot more than the moves Stone has made. I worry that the cap space will get utilized on guys that will only provide value for 2 years or that suck (Brooks) relative to pay.

#2695 Joe Joe, Jun 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    theDude likes this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The only big criticism I have of Stone is trading away Allen for peanuts. Otherwise, everything else has been sensible.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That was a part of the Harden trade. Overall, that trade is looking real good. Also, Allen is making $20M right now. Stone may miss on the cap space this year. I'm really hating the Brooks rumors. However, there is a still a decent chance that at least a good chunk of Allen's value is made up for in FA this year.

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Allen was never in the Rockets’ possession. He was part of a larger trade, and perhaps Stone could have reworked pieces to try to route him here, but it’s a misrepresentation to say the Rockets traded him for peanuts. Keeping him in an attempt to trade later could have had an even greater negative impact.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Are we sure @SamFisher is not JVG?

SamFisher likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

saleem likes this.