1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Rockets front office have a problem with Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 27, 2023.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

I don’t know if he’s a future star (lean towards no?)
    I don’t know if another team will run the offense/team through him.
    But yeah, I don’t think the Rockets front office (who?) really like him.
    Is that Rafael Stone? Is that Eli Witus? (Wasn’t it Nook who said Witus traded or pushed for Sengun? Could be misremembering.) Is that Chris Wallace? All of the above?
    Clearly this goes beyond the incompetent Silas.

Their words say we love Sengun.
    Their actions say “Ehhh, we tolerate him.”

They’ve pursued centers. They’re again pursuing centers.
    Always looking for a reason to yank him.
    We need to trade Wood to open minutes for Sengun. After 3 preseason games, we’re gonna bench him for Bruno Fernando.
    It’s his stamina.
    It’s his defense.
    It’s his lack of shooting.
    It’s his foul trouble.
    We need a lob threat.
    It’s this. It’s that.

Now it’s his “work ethic” (suggesting he has a bad work ethic) and “he needs the push” and “needs the coaching”.

Sengun, Christopher, Garuba, Eason, Martin = you need to earn it. If you’re good enough, what’s the problem?!
    Green, Jabari, Kevin, Daishen = work through your mistakes son! It’s all good! Don’t close out, don’t run back, it’s fine! It’s a learning lesson!

Salman is right. They should probably just trade him.
    They can get their lob threat or rim runner or shot blocker or whatever they’re looking for. Bruno, Brook, Bamba, whoever, whatever.

#61 J.R., Jun 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Clutch keeps on saying there are people in the rockets organization that don't believe in Sengun, but that is so wild to me with the skill set and the crazy games he has had as an infant in the NBA..

Stone traded up to get him, The best players in the NBA all see Sengun's talent so much they make it a point to talk about it. His Lakers game was so crazy Lebron had to start guarding him in the 4th. Sengun played MVP Embiid to a stand still in an OT game with 5 fouls, There was a Memphis game Sengun won by himself etc, etc... it's so weird to me.

It is way too hard for me to believe. I keep thinking clutch is just perpetuating (a real) but small sentiment in the rockets establishment.

#62 DreamShook, Jun 27, 2023
  3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

sure but I think the op questions how the organization views Sengun. As many have said Sengun has thrived and will thrive with competition.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Well said

Drift Monkey likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I sure wish the “he was their best player!” Defense would stop. The team was horrible. I don’t care who their best player was, I don’t care who their best PG was.

I like Sengun. Denying his limitations is silly. I hope he overcomes them. I wouldn’t bet my organization on it though.

Rashmon, HardenReturns and 34to11 like this.
  6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

precisely this. And I think it is because he has a similar opinion.

cml750 likes this.
  7. maj21

maj21 Member

Y’all are gonna hate Ime in 4-5 months. Just a gut feeling lol

#67 maj21, Jun 27, 2023
    34to11 and Snow Villiers like this.
  8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He’s also on the downside age wise, so it would be hard to imagine Lopez averaging more minutes than Sengun. I believe for most players the sweet spot is 25-30 mpg and fatigue causes decline in performance after that.

Drift Monkey and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I love Lopez the player and I think he would actually help Alp.
    I just don’t get the direction the Rockets are wanting to go.
    FVV/Brooks/Lopez plus our core isn’t doing much imo

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Im ready

BamBam, HardenReturns and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Over exaggerating his limitations is equally silly, specially at the same time people overlook Green and Jabari deficiencies

12. maj21

maj21 Member

Y’all are gonna hate Ime in 4-5. Just a gut feeling lol
    i meant 4-5 months haha. It’s coming lol

Snow Villiers likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I’ve done no such thing though.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe not you, but a large portion of the fan base has.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have nothing but respect for @Clutch. After all, he let me in again a couple of times, and he has been tolerating my stupid ass on this forum for over 25 years.

I'm just a dumb German who never played basketball at any organized level.

But I became a die-hard Rockets fan as a foreign Fulbright student in Houston 1995-1996, having attended games in The Summit, I have been here since 1996 or so, and I remember spending a summer being worried about whether we would be able to land freaking Shandn Andersn!

I witnessed a prior "front office" handing out a massive contract to Kelvin ****ing Cato after he had 6 blocks in a pre-season game. And so on, and so on.

So, I know front offices can be wrong.

Thanks to @Rockets2K and @DaDakota, I was able to watch Rockets games before international league pass ever became a thing.

So I am far from a "player only fan".

But in my 28 or so years of Rockets fandom, I have never been more sure about anything than the fact that this kid will become a star, and that he will do great things in the NBA.

It just totally baffles me to learn that neither "the front office" nor the most important Rockets fan in the world, @Clutch, seem to see it that way.

It would be the biggest mistake ever for the Rockets to trade this kid.

16. maj21

maj21 Member

Jalen and Jabari definitely have limitations, but they can improve that. Sengun will never have long arms or quick feet. I don’t think any of them is the guy.

17. maj21

maj21 Member

Is this about what you feel is best for the team or about Sengun being your favorite player?

18. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Just curious to know if a 19 year old Jokic was viewed as a lob threat and a defensive stalwart?

I’m not saying Alpi is Jokic but I am saying at this time, he’s most likely his best league comparison. Those of us who support Alpi appreciate the likeness, the similarities in their games. We also see a Denver team whom just won a championship with him as their best player. We see this as a path forward, maybe the path forward.

What I don’t want to see is Dillon Brooks and some defensive center who’s an offensive liability who can’t pass or spread the floor for this teams current talent. I would think his talent would be even more impressive in a system with ball movement and cutters versus the stagnant play we saw last year under Silas.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If you accept that Sengun probably has very limited upside defensively, at the most important position defensively, which severely limits his viability, nothing about what has occurred or the way he has been treated is all that controversial or unexpected.

If you fall in the other camp, well....we tried to tell you.

Verbal Christ and 34to11 like this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's about what I feel is best for the team.

I am convinced that if we trade Sengun, he will thrive elsewhere. He is the most talented all-around player - in my opinion - I have seen on the Rockets since Hakeem, T-Mac and Harden.

If we just get rid of him, and he becomes Jokic, or even just Jokic lite, somewhere else, it would annoy me to death - as a Rockets fan.