1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets pool of free agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 25, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

FVV sucks - he is at best an average PG - 39% shooter last year....40% career shooter.......YUCK YUCK YUCK.

DD

AXG and Imanimal like this.
  2. mightybosstone

In a vacuum just in terms of each of them as a player, I'd agree 100%. The benefit of Brooks is that he's going to come significantly cheaper, and you could probably get him on a 1-2 year deal. Cam Johnson is going to demand a legit 4-year contract that will eat a huge amount of the Rockets cap space for a long time.

I get the sense based on everything I've read that they're really targeting shorter-term deals rather than trying to make a huge splash this summer. I think they want to go get guys who will come off the books in a year or two so they can kick the cap space question down the road and pay a star level player when the young guys are actually ready to compete.

3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the Warriors trade Wiggins, it will be a strictly cost-cutting move. That is the perfect scenario for KJM. Wiggins being locked up long term may cost additional assets, but in almost any other scenario, they are going to have to take back salary, which negates the whole purpose. We can offer a legitimate rotation piece making league minimum. That is the type of move we need to look for when moving him.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  4. mightybosstone

FG% isn't everything, and it's a pretty antiquated way to judge players, to be honest. His TS% is still 54-55%, which is below average, but not terrible for a point guard. He was 12th in APG last season with an elite AST/TO ratio and 8th overall in STL%. He also rebounds well for his position. Advanced stats really like him, too. He was top 40 in BPM and top 30 in VORP.

majicdonjuan likes this.
  5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He sucks, he is a downgrade and not worth the money......too short, average athlete, decent player but he has peaked.

DD

MadMax94$ likes this.
  6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Wiggins really, really works the more I think about it. It feels like an Ime Udoka type of play and we have the salary to take on that massive deal. I was just looking at Spotrac and evaluating where some of these teams are looking to go. GSW seems hellbent on keeping Green and shedding Wiggins makes sense.

I think negotiations start with 1 first round pick + KPJ + Tate.

From there we can work out how to make salaries work or if we need to add more picks.

theDude likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's interesting that we haven't heard a single whisper about GSW trying to move Wiggins. They may view him as a critical part of their core, so even though they could save a ridiculous amount of money by offloading the contract, they may not be willing to do so. KJ Martin isn't a bad player, but he's a huge downgrade on defense and three point shooting.

jch1911, Rockets FTW and Da Man like this.
  8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

But they just extended him. I don't believe they have any interest in trading him. And if anything he should benefit from playing next to CP3. I would have been in favor of signing him, if he were still a FA, but a freshly extended Wiggins should cost a premium I am not willing to pay.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

A downgrade from who?

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

[​IMG]

Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. mightybosstone

A downgrade in what way? Because aside from shooting efficiency and rebounding, I think he's an upgrade in literally every other area over KPJ. I'm not sure any NBA front offices right now would rather have KPJ over FVV.

Richie_Rich and OremLK like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I like it a lot. I think there’s 28/30 min available for Lopez and Sengun. Folks shouldn’t get bent out of shape on who starts. Would rather have Grant Williams instead of Brooks and hope Stone will get something of real value for the rest of the guys Clutch proposes for trade. But overall that would be our best case outcome from free agency. I’m not gonna hold my breath; Ime and Stone are going to have to do a helluva recruiting job because Lopez and FVV will have options.

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Hell from KPJ right now....who is better than FVV - and younger, and cheaper.....

DD

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Your post was saying that ESPN would be pretending there was a chance because they want entertainment or whatever.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would only take Simmons if we get Bridges. So Simmons (backup whatever), Bridges starting SF. I would give all the Nets picks and swaps back and KJM, Tate, etc.

Y2JT likes this.
  18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If that’s the way the jazz want to tie up their cap space without even getting a significant asset for it, I’m all for it ;). I do think Collins could be a good reclamation project though; it’s clear the jazz think they can rehab his value.

jch1911 likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree. KPJ is not going to play PG this season and I think he will perform well. FVV should not be pursued at all.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Easily the 6th seed