1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NBA Draft/1-4] Amen Thompson, G, Overtime Elite

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of Amen Thompson?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2023.
  1. YES

81.9%
  2. NO

18.1%
  1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Oh I agree with that, I just think Amen has a really high ceiling and they could not resist.

I think as long as you have a top 5 pick you swing for the fences. The goal is that you hit on multiple guys and basically do what the Warriors did or the Nuggets recently or that OKC team that they broke up. Draft multiple stars.

I think right now though none of those guys have proven to be stars so we just dont build around them yet. They all have their flaws, some are more fixable than others though. I think Green's flaws are more fixable than others, he can drop 30+ real quick, just has to fix his defense (or be on a team that can hide his defense) and improve his BBIQ on offense which can be coached up.

Bari is hard to evaluate since the previous coach wasn't even running plays for him. Defensively he has a lot of tools to work with and if he gets more confidence in his shot he could also take a big leap forward. If Bari shoots like he was drafted to be he instantly becomes a part of our core.

Sengun worries me a bit because his flaw, his lack of agility, impacts his defense and can that really be improved? Then again, Jokic just won a championship with a lot of the same flaws as Sengun but Jokic is obviously on a generational level when it comes to offensive production too soo...

KPJ I believe is playing out of position and a lot of his issues will be solved if he's more focused on just being a scorer. He seems more like a great 6th man to me which can still be a star player in the right situation.

The other guys, Eason, Tyty, etc, I don't think have 'star' potential but can be good role players. Of course verdict is still out on Amen and Cam right now. Unlike a lot of people I'm completely open to picks and will adjust how i feel about them based on what I see.

So I do feel right now, this season or next, one of these guys should really start to break out and we'll be more sure about who is the Batman on this team and who is the Robin, once we figure that out then I think we'll start filling roles on the team. I like the Amen pick because I know his ceiling is sky high. His floor is low to be sure, like I wouldn't be surprised if he's a complete bust but...

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hopefully he has the same patience as KPJ when the brick houses start being built! If only it were that easy! I wonder how long before the "Amen is freezing out X player" posts? :D:D:D

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Amen sounds like a good dude. As a fan, this makes rooting for the team pretty damn easy. I hope he turns out to be the missing piece to unlocking all the talent the Rockets have.

Drift Monkey, xaos, Shark44 and 4 others like this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would not expect him to shoot very much as a rookie. If he's playing 20 minutes per game off the bench he may only take about one three pointer per game. He'll get the majority of his points in transition his first year, I expect.

BaselineFade and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'd like to think we're past the "throwing darts" phase, but you dont really know what you have during a tank with zero accountability. I think after this upcoming season it will be easier to start trimming the fat and identifying who to retain and where to upgrade. The future of the team is quite literally in the palm of Ime Udoka.

BaselineFade, NewAge and JayGoogle like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sounds like he understands his strengths and weaknesses. Thats awesome I love his humility. Point is how many times do you keep passing to open guys and they keep missing the shot? If everyone was being honest with themselves they would say that this team missed a sht-ton of open looks last year. How is that fault of the passing? The sheer athletic talents we have will create open looks just like they did last season. Its up to each individual shooter tasked with making those shots to become a more reliable weapon for this team in a symbiosis with the passing player. Assists are two function stats. Looks were there all this "we will get more wide open looks" is not being genuine to the reality of last year.

8. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yup. That’s the problem when you play exhibition basketball vs competitive basketball: you get some meaningless data, but you don’t know who helps the team and who is just showcasing skills…

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Quite obviously Amen Thompson did not spend any time deep diving on stats.nba.com regarding shots graded as open or wide open.

What a tool! Bust!!! 111

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The elite play makers go where the shooters are.

Elite play makers can play pitch and catch all day but it means nothing if the receivers cant catch or score.

Booker. Cam Johnson, Mikal Bridges lured CP3.
    Then Durant.

Raptors have had a good model of getting a ton of wings....trying to get them to learn to shoot.

People think it's so easy to master shooting. Tell it to Boucher, Siakim, Scottie Barnes and others.

VanVleet could play pitch and catch all day.....but with no shooters he just put up KPj numbers.

That's why he is saying get me out of Toronto

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

To be honest, I have my doubt about him. But he's the BPA at #4. So how can I say I don't like the pick? I'm not as excited as getting Green and Smith in the past two years. But then, those two guys have disappointed to certain degree. So I'm hoping Amen to come out the gate better.

And get ready for all the "Amen"/prayers jokes.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes, that's what I was saying. If they can defend, it means they can do something other than shoot. Shooters who can defend would be perfect. Defense is half of all the possessions.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think one way we could improve our shooting is by having our best spot up shooter doing more spot up shooting. Having Amen could enable us to do that.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Nothing to do with message boards. Drafting is based on scouting and interviews and workouts. These videos fans watch are just entertainment, that's not how you make an assessment of who to take. For example if Wemby doesn't pan out, no one made the wrong decision. It's the right call.

Look I'm very high on Green and you're very low on Green if you think out-of-the-NBA bust is still a possibility. However based on that rumor he was being shopped, it was clear his trade value across the media is not "possible bust". Based on Ime's comments and the Rockets putting out a press release saying they're elevating his role, the organization doesn't believe it either. I don't know of a bust who gets to the line 6 times a game in their worst season. Do you? Some things in the NBA are tell-tale signs.

I may be more optimistic than them, but no one is putting a single dollar on Green being a bust (if anyone is, I welcome a tip jar bet). As you said the coaching staff, situation, spacing, system has been terrible. We can't brush that under the rug. That stuff actually impacted his performance in a tangible way.

17. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

any word on press conference? I can't remember when and if these things happen...

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

monday at 2pm i believe

BaselineFade and rusHour like this.
  19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hadn't seen him in interviews until the draft and I have to say that both him and his brother (and their parents) really won me over. Amen's personality seems like a good fit with the rest of our guys who are maybe a little too relaxed. Him saying he wanted to fly In-N-Out to NY to celebrate was both hilarious and refreshing.

Y2JT, BaselineFade and rusHour like this.
  20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I'll say one thing about Amen: when he discusses basketball plays he sounds a LOT older than 20 years old, and a lot more analytical than a lot of our players.