1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Yooooo....wonder what this is for?

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Korey Lee bought tickets for his fam in Cali.

IBTL and cwebbster like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Diaz will be the full time DH/1B (maybe not against lefties)... and Lee/Maldy will split catching duties.

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

We just making up fan fiction or is this a thing?
    I'd hate to not have Diaz eventually catch at least 1/2 the time and be a DH/1B half the time because his bat is special special for a catcher while merely decent for a 1B or DH, but I guess having it in the lineup every day beats the **** ass amount of playing time he got before Yordan got hurt.
    None of the numbers defensively suggest he isn't an average to good defender and the ERA certainly doesn't tell some hidden story that he can't call a game, so this whole catcher thing is stupid- but I guess less stupid if he's in the lineup everyday- even if it is suboptimal how he's in the lineup.
    Thanks Dusty.

IBTL likes this.
  5. SuraGotMadHops

From now until the All Star break it's got to be full court press, need to make a push here. No more toggling and experimenting with lineups and rest days. I want to see Diaz in the lineup everyday, somewhere. I want to see Chas in the OF everyday, let Meyers and Julks compete for playing time. Mix in Dubon as much as possible, even if it means sitting Abreu and letting Dubon play 1B like he did yesterday.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

This and add that Maldy absolutely needs to be sitting at least 2 games a week w Diaz catching. Diaz is better in practically every category, defense included, and the notion that Maldy is such a superior game caller that the pitchers NEED him simply doesn't bare out in the #'s. We simply don't have the luxury of trotting out a player that bad when we have an unbelievable alternate already on the roster.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Diaz had already said he doesn't necessarily see his career as a full-time catcher. He's doing it, but he may very well go the Gattis route.

For now, this is the best way for him to be in the lineup everyday... and they'll figure out what to do with his catching future once Maldonado is done.

IBTL likes this.
  8. Screaming Fist

He probably shouldn't catch the same number of innings Maldy has normally caught over the last few years if just to keep him healthy, but he should catch at least like 600 innings.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's not happening.

The Astros have their last off day before the All-Star break after this series in LA. Then 13 games in a row before the break...... Dusty will probably run out 10 different lineups in 13 games.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

So this isn't information I missed somewhere on the internet or sourced this is a hunch or guess on your part? Maybe so. I'm not disparaging you for saying that- just trying to figure out if its fact or a haunch. Thanks

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Assuming full health this would be perfect to my way of thinking next year.
    70- C
    60- DH
    15- 1B

Lee-

90- C

That could leave Yordan with:
    60- LF
    90- DH

Chas:
    100- LF
    55- CF

Meyers (or Gilbert)
    100 CF
    10- RF

That's full time play for Diaz, Yordan, Chas and Tucker and that's playing 2 out of every 3 days for Meyers. That takes care of your OF, DH, and Catcher situation. That leaves Pena at SS every day, Bregman at 3b every day, Altuve at 2b every day and Abreu at 1b every day- or we cut bait and bring someone else in. Dubon is your backup for all the IF spots. Gilbert is your backup for all OF spots.
    Shows that you have a bit of a logjam in the OF is Gilbert is a Dude. I'd like to convert the OF logjam into a really strong bat at 1b. If you did that literally your worst hitter would be Korey Lee for 90 games a year, and when he sits your worst hitter is probably Pena or Chas when Diaz is catching. That's an EXPLOSIVE lineup.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guess you missed it... it was well discussed prior to this season about his commitment to being a full-time catcher.

rockbox likes this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

@Nook mentioned it a while back. Yainer just wants to be on the field and the only reason he plays catcher is because it gives him his best opportunity. He doesn't live to play catcher. He lives to hit and it shows.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/astros-catcher-situation.318484/page-4#post-14547261

Nook likes this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I predict a very Carlos Santana like career for Diaz.

Santana
    Rookie year= 87% of games at catcher
    Year 2= 61%
    Year 3= 70%
    Year 4= 55%
    Year 5= 7%
    Years 6-14 = 0%

Diaz
    Rookie year = 60%
    Year 2= 50%
    Year 3= 25%
    Year 4 = 10%
    Year 5= 3%
    Years 6-?= 0%

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They could probably just move Urquidy or Brantley to the 60 day IL for a short term fix.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

And he has never caught even an Inning in MLB, MiLB, minors, college, or winter ball.

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They have 2 catchers. Diaz will make a fine backup and ride the bench very well for Dusty....

:D

20. Screaming Fist

I don't understand this move. Did Dusty pinky promise Dana that he won't banish Diaz to the dungeon again if Dana takes Salazar off the roster?