1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This. No one is claiming Green can be as good as Durant. It's just the argument that Green isn't deserving of a number 2 pick because we haven't started winning yet is absurd to me. There are like 3-5 19-21 year olds in league history that came in and got their team winning immediately only because of them when they were a bottom tier team the season before.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

KD is a weird guy to be comparing Green to.

I think you'd be looking for a Dwyane Wade-like best case outcome.

In recent draft history, you're hoping he takes an Anthony Edwards-like step forward in his third season.

3. invocux

invocux Member

I don't understand why ppl get weird out when you bring up an elite player's rookie season to compare Jalen's rookie-sophomore seasons. Nobody says Jalen is gonna be KD all i'm saying is that this is the best f**ing league in the world. Yeah we got Jabari and Green 2 youngsters it's still not different than a dog trying to scare a lion is it? Mfs have Booker, KD, CPaul on their rosters. When you are such a young team you can't go from 20 wins to 40 wins in a season. That mongo on Twitter i think his name is Sang sth pushing that agenda. That we still can't win with Jalen. I'm not the biggest fan of Jalen but you can't deny the reality i've just mentioned.

4. i3artow i3aller

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Glad that the Rockets seem to have the same understanding of their core as mine.

Very telling who is NOT mentioned.

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Imo this is the right core… I don’t want to give up on any of these guys yet and would only move them for a huge price. KPJ is obviously trade bait this summer, it’s no surprise.

7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

They already made it clear with the structure of kpj's contract. The core pieces do not get that kind of contract, honestly no player gets that kind of contract.

anthony59237 and clos4life like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

And how do the Rockets know that no other team in the league values KPJ as much as the Rockets do...

Because they probably tried to trade him to every single one of them, and no one wanted to bite lol.

anthony59237, Dacamel and Caesar like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's the exact opposite, those are the guys that are the trade bait, that's why they are being propped up.

With KPJ you couldn't get anywhere near an equal return for him, so he's not even being floated....when it comes to the overhyped guys, that might not be the case. If you can find a sucker that buys into the Jalen Green hype for example, there's a trade to be had.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My understanding is that they received inquiries regarding KPJ, but I doubt they were very appealing.

11. PatBev

PatBev Member

Hard to be part of the core 4 when you’re already the Head Honcho

clos4life, maj21 and Easy like this.
  12. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think they will give him a year under Udoka and another year to test his maturity before any moves

Kid is too good of insurance for Green, Amen, and injuries to just toss away. He’s our best shooter lol

maj21, DaDakota and Kevooooo like this.
  13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

It’s clear how down on Jalen you are. In your opinion, what’s Green’s ceiling in terms of player comparison?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's got a super high ceiling due to his athleticism...which right now is the only thing he has going for him. If he learns things like how to shoot a basketball and how to at least pretend to play defense, he could finally start to earn some of the comparisons you see thrown around like Booker or LaVine. That said, he's currently just a terrible player on both ends so that makes his floor pretty low too. If he stays more or less the same, he's a Lou Williams minus the shooting ability.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Jalen's ceiling is up to him, needs to get a handle, and change speeds and directions, and how to play defense.

He needs to stop getting by on athleticism alone and get his skills up.

DD

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

clos4life likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has a year to impress Udoka. I wouldn't be surprised if Ime has a big impact on him. But yeah, this is a big year for KPJ. He's going to have to grow both as a defensive player and off ball shooter and cutter. If he is a point guard, he won't have as much iso as he is used to.

18. Ancient Moabite

So the Rockets can't get their 50th pick back from another team for the quasi best player on the team?

How can you not get close to equal return or the best return when dealing your best player vs inferior scrub players?

The Rockets can't find a sucker to even float the idea of a KPJ trade, all hype comes from some level of substance of what that player showcases on hardwood

If there is no said hype around you and your game then you are probably more known(hyped) for off court/locker room incidents, which just basically blacklist yourself from other teams pursuing you

SamFisher likes this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

Love Jalen and I believe he needs Ime to help turn the corner. Right now he’s just a big time chucker, which Ime is not gonna allow

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You're explaining why despite being the best wing or guard on the roster at only 23, the Rockets can't get value for him in a trade.... that's why you'd seek to trade inferior players that teams would foolishly pay more for.